PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to Alaska

John Stevenson
09-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Prompted by Doc's post on his surface grinder which I didn't want to hi-jack I got to thinking about getting machines there.

Purely hypothetical but if your are a US citizen and say you buy a machine in say New York and ship it overland to Alaska, another US state, you have to pass thru Canada which someone has plonked in the way.

Are you allowed free passage thru Canada with your goods because you are travelling from the USA to the USA if you get my drift ?

motorworks
09-27-2009, 08:21 AM
I can't asnwer your question directly, but I shipped an "ebay" item last year.
Air parcel post and it took 6 weeks
The guy wanted to return it and sent it xpresss post and that took 2.5 weeks!!

Sent stuff to the UK and Germany and it got there quicker.
I figure the Skidoo must have run out of gas :)

Weston Bye
09-27-2009, 08:29 AM
I don't know how it is today, but 10-15 years ago, I passed through Canada from Michigan to New York with a truckload of tools and machine parts, duly declared - no problem. But when I had to do a machine repair in Canada, the $50 control transformer I brought along, duly declared, landed me in custody in customs for 4 hours.

Black_Moons
09-27-2009, 08:49 AM
<Does best cowboy accent> We don't take kindly to your type of control transformers around these parts!

Bob Ford
09-27-2009, 09:26 AM
A lot of things ship by sea or air, no passage through Canada. Alaska does not have a abundance of roads from city to city.

Bob

rode2rouen
09-27-2009, 09:59 AM
We don't take kindly to your type of control transformers around these parts, eh!

Fixt it for you. :p

Rex

uncle pete
09-27-2009, 11:03 AM
John,
Items or loads like this are shipped in "bond", With the abundance of trade between the two country's most large trucking company's email U.S. customs a computerized list of the load contents, Drivers I.d. ect, These loads are normally pre cleared but may be spot checked at the border, And all trucks crossing are sent thru a scanner, I'm guessing Canaduh has much the same for preclearing freight. I used to haul loads from Vancouver to Toronto thru the U.S. and these loads were sealed on the Canadian side, The seal was sometimes inspected by U.S. customs and then reinspected by Canadian customs when re entering Canada. Mostly this all worked well till you met a customs person that was having a bad day.

Pete

jmm360
09-27-2009, 12:18 PM
The easy way would be to truck it to Seattle/Tacoma for a boat ride. 8 or 9 ships/ tug & barges a week to AK.

Bill McLeod
09-27-2009, 01:01 PM
The difficulty is the amount of shipping and handling not customs. The majority of goods going to Alaska go by Barge. The barges are roughly 100ft X 300ft and stack containers about 5 high. I watch them go by my house all the time, they travel through Canadian waters to avoid as much open ocean as possible.

jmm360
09-27-2009, 05:07 PM
The difficulty is the amount of shipping and handling not customs. The majority of goods going to Alaska go by Barge. The barges are roughly 100ft X 300ft and stack containers about 5 high. I watch them go by my house all the time, they travel through Canadian waters to avoid as much open ocean as possible.

Then you get to see my handiwork, our last one sailed Friday, probably went by Nanaimo about 10 PM.

Doc Nickel
09-27-2009, 06:58 PM
As the rest have said, yes, it's "free passage" through Canada. I don't know the exact details of how it works "behind the scenes", so to speak, but suffice to say that we don't have to pay duty or customs or VAT or anything like that, on goods trucked through Canada.

Also as noted, a great deal of stuff coming up is barged. The barges depart from Seattle (or environs) and offload just outside of Anchorage, where some 3/4 of the states' population lives.

When they shipped my Grizzly mill up, I honestly have no idea if it came up truck or barge. It cost $600 for a 2,000-pound machine, back in 2003. I suspect that's about what it'd cost for a 800 to 1,000 pound machine today.

Doc.

John Stevenson
09-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys I just wondered how it worked with the top and bottom both being the USA.