PDA

View Full Version : AOL question: Favorite places aint no place

Forrest Addy
09-29-2009, 03:43 AM
I downloaded AOL's new desktop 7.1 or whatever it is. It has lots of cool features but it so far I can't get it to carry over my favorite places. According to the instructions I'm supposed to pull down "Help" in the Setup Wizard. There "Import Favorite Places" is suppoed to be enabled but it freezes and seems to run in a loop. The other stuff in the Help menu loaded fine.

Anyone who has ever tried to contact AOL for a little tech help has spent hours chasing catch 22 links to no avail. The whole website seems to be designed to ensure no AOL tech help is wasted actually helping a customer in need.

Someone once posted here or someplace some unpublished AOL phone numbers to tech help etc. I used them once with great success on a glitch a couple years ago but since then the info vanished. Anyone have them?

No, don't tell me about Firefox. It's great I'm sure, but my immediate problem is AOL which usually gives me great service.

EVguru
09-29-2009, 07:32 AM
I dumped AO HELL (on dial-up) some years ago now and really try and put anyone off using them.

They started by making it difficult to send an email in plain ASCII (necessary for some old style email lists). UK suport repeatedly denied that this was the case, but only because they didn't know what they were talking about. I solved it two ways, either by using AOL webmail, or selecting 'convert text' after composing a message. The next version of AOL completely removed the ability to send ASCII (except via webmail) and once again the support service refused to admit that it wasn't sending ASCII, couldn't send ASCII, or that anything had changed. Eventually I found a message sent by the head of AOL in the USA appologising for removing ASCII (he could see no reason why they would have removed such basic functionality) and promising that it would be re-instated in the next release. It wasn't and I believe he resigned over this and other matters. AOL UK still refused to aknowledge that there was a problem, or tried to blame the email lists for not accepting HTML!

I told AOL where they could stick their shoddy service and then had to report them for repeatedly calling me to try and get me back having asked them to remove my number from their database. I moved to a free dial-up service which was much superior, but then the second problem with AOL became obvious. It's difficult to completely get rid of AOL from your system short of a re-format. Particularly when you've parted company on bad terms, it's really anoying to have everything still bearing AOL icons. There were other problems with remains of AOL, but I've mentally scarred over what they were.

Forrest Addy
09-29-2009, 10:45 AM
EV, I guess setting someone off by reminding them of a vexing occasion is inevetable. However your complaint about your particular problem doesn't help with mine. AOL may not have served you well but so far I have no complaints - except getting tech service.

Seems to me that holding a grudge against AOL for not continuing an obscure (to most) option is like blacklisting a restaurant because of an empty salt shaker.

gnm109
09-29-2009, 10:58 AM
AOL = America Off Line. :)

I had AOL years back when I first got on the internet. I had to get rid of the, however, since it appeared that they objected to my staying on line while I went to get a cup of coffee. They had more dropouts than a Los Angeles High School. It got to be ridiculous.

MTNGUN
09-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Forrest, I find it hard to believe that an intelligent person like you is using AOL. Sigh.

Regarding your favorite bookmarks, Xmarks (formally Foxmarks) stores your favorites on its server where you can access them from any computer. It works with Firefox, IE, or Safari, on Windoze, Linux, or Mac -- but Xmarks does not work with AOL. See what you are missing ? http://www.xmarks.com/

Sorry, I can't help you with AOL, because I stopped using it years ago.

Forrest Addy
09-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Forrest, I find it hard to believe that an intelligent person like you is using AOL. Sigh.

It's very simple. It works for my limited needs and I very seldom get spammed or pop-uped. I've tried a few others but it seemed as though a higher level of computer competence and vigilance was required. I got my head full of machinist stuff. If I pump in much more computer stuff, machinist stuff will ooze out.

TGTool
09-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Forrest,

I still use AOL too so I'll sit with you on the dodo bench. :(

Sorry you've gotten everything except good answers to the question, and sorry too I haven't delved into it and don't have any good suggestions. Some of the pop up things on mine actually have a close button on them. Others I just ignore. I know that's no more help than the others.

Jan

David S Newman
09-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I've been with AOL for many years and been happy. Not had any problems here in thr UK. David

Bill736
09-29-2009, 10:12 PM
I have AOL, and periodically I have to retrieve my Favorite Places list, since it is prone to disappear. I do think, however, that the AOL Favorite Places format is the best I've seen , when it works.
Although AOL, in theory, stores your Favorite Places list, I've found that their version is usually about a year out of date. The exact procedure to retrieve your FP list varies, depending on what operating system you have. I use Windows XP . Be sure you periodically save your FP list on your own computer, using the "manage" feature at the bottom of the FP list. Attach a date to the file name so you can locate the latest one. You can get the latest procedure (for your operating system) for recovering your FP by contacting AOL help online, and request that they email you the instructions. Don't waste your time trying to let them walk you through the procedure online ; communications with them are very difficult.