PDA

View Full Version : DRO cables

gld
10-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Got the cables coiled up behind the readout with zip ties.

http://www.gldpages.com/img_1041.jpg

What's your rats nest look like????

Has anyone shortened their cables????

SGW
10-18-2009, 01:58 PM
A bit less ratty, but only because I have a longer cable run and (maybe) shorter cables than you do.

I'm not sure if I'd try shortening armored multi-conductor cables, although it's probably possible. I think I might be more inclined to buy shorter pre-made cables, or at least to verify that I could readily get a replacement cable before I started hacking on the ones I have. If you screwed up you'd have to buy only one; the results of trying to shorten the first one would tell you if it's feasible or not to continue.

kf2qd
10-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Those look like standard DB style connectors from the outside. I would get some replacement connectors with crimp style pins. Figure out how long you need the cables, cut them off about 6 inches longer, Pull teh hood off the existing connector, carefully strip the wires and crimp the pins on the wires, then using the original connector as a guise insert the pins in the new connector, plug it in and verify it works, put the original hood back on and you have started reducing the rats nest.

Might look a bit much if you aren't used to doing computer cables, but isn't any more difficult than other stuff you do around the shop.