PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Darts

garagemark
10-19-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm sure many of you remember lawn darts (jarts). I spent many a summer evening lofting the killer darts toward the little plastic ring. But alas, our government decided that we were all trying to stick each other in the head with them, so they were banned in all 50 states.

I want to make a couple "presentation" lawn darts (jarts)... Don't ask, don't tell. These will be full size with correct dimension, and made from a highly polishable material (stainless or aluminum) and mounted on a walnut presentation board.

I do not have welding capabilities for either material, so I'm wondering how to attack the fin attachment. The attachment point must be a tube that can freely rotate on the center shaft. The three equidistant fins will be approximately .094.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

http://swingingforthedowns.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/jarts.jpg

DICKEYBIRD
10-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Groan, here we go again.;)

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=20506&highlight=JARTS

Uncle O
10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
troublemaker :rolleyes:

kendall
10-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Thickwall tube with slots cut in to hold the fins, then a ring at each end to keep them in place.

Ken.

knudsen
10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Thread the tips for broad heads!

airsmith282
10-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Kendall's idea works great good idea, the idea i was thinking of is JB WELD the stuff is the bomb for sticking metal togeter.. both ideas would work great in my opnion ,,,

garagemark
10-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Not looking to open a debate here. Asking a machining question. That's all.

If you want to debate the issue, start a thread. I will be happy to oblige.

Thanks,
Mark

Evan
10-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Don't worry Mark, I'm busy today. :D

Falcon67
10-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Machine a hollow in the tail. Those just beg for one of these: http://www.apogeerockets.com/images/estes_motor.jpg

garagemark
10-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Eeeee Gads troops! I just read the earlier thread on jarts. I had no intention of opening a can of worms (no pun intended). I didn't even search this topic first; never dreamed it'd be problematic.

I grew up playing with jarts. Yes, my friends and I tossed a couple of unwise darts, but we have no permanent scars and we all lived to tell about it.

My daughter and her friends grew up playing jarts. They were supervised, probably because of the unwise things I did when I was growing up. My daughter is grown now and has two grandsons. They will play jarts... under supervised conditions. My yard is in the country so I will not be caught and jailed the rest of my life. There is no argument on this issue from my perspective.

I honestly just want to build a couple of very high end lawn darts. Not to throw, but to give for display purposes. I want these to be as close to ďspec.Ē as they can be, although I want them to be finely polished and mounted. I like the idea of captive rings; that is probably the slickest way to do it. Since they donít have to withstand any force, Iíll design to that end.

Thanks guys,

PS- Rocket powered jarts. Hmmm! How far apart the rings?
Mark

DICKEYBIRD
10-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Yup, I loved Jarts when I was a much younger feller. I started the other thread but never got around to making any. My grandson is getting close to the age where he can enjoy them so I better get busy.

My plan was too make the shafts from hardwood dowels, clamp them into a 5C hex collet block & slot them with a 1/16" slitting saw. The fins were going to be 1/16" polystyrene plastic sheet glued into the dowels with cyanoacrylate glue. Of course the business end would be turned from spent uranium rod with carbide tips.;) Just KIDDING!

tattoomike68
10-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Just make grenade launchers, there is not much to them. I used to make a bunch of parts for them and cluster bombs.

rkepler
10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Of course the business end would be turned from spent uranium rod with carbide tips.;) Just KIDDING!

Damn right you're kidding. The depleted uranium is plenty w/o the carbide. Adding the carbide would just be showing off.

DICKEYBIRD
10-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Revision 1.02 Jart design now has Chinese drywall fins instead of polystyrene.;)

madman
10-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Got one in the back of the Head once during a rousing Beer Filled game of Neighbour versus Neighbour Lawn Darts. Lucky my wife is a trained first aider and not too much brain leaked out. I gotta say though it stung a bit and was tough pulling it back out. I always sharpened the points in the HSM shop for optimumn performance and having not much el;se to do.

jdunmyer
10-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I have a set of original Jarts that I found when I cleaned out my parents' garage. Couldn't even sell 'em on eBay.

Jim Shaper
10-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Make the body a large enough diameter so that you can slot it for the fins, then simply cross pin them in place. No welding required, and they should look pretty sharp like that. :cool:

My mom wanted to buy me a set since she used to have fun playing them when she was younger - only to discover they'd been recently banned. :rolleyes: Looking back, I guess it would've been about the late 80's.

As for the "give everyone bows and arrows" comment - I'm far too accurate to be shooting at people with a bow. Where's the sport in that? :p