PDA

View Full Version : Kearney & Trecker Model 3K Plain - am I nuts?

andy_b
09-29-2003, 08:22 PM
well, i'm pretty sure i'm passing on the B&S Omniversal.
of course, in my neverending search for heavy iron, i have come upon a K&T Milwaukee Model K No. 3 Plain mill. this baby puts the B&S to shame!
this one comes with a bunch of tooling, the 90 degree head, the horizontal cutting bar set up, and the big vertical head (that includes its own motor). and i actually saw this monster running.
so, what kind of price would be a decent deal on this? i've seen some in ads for $5000 on up, but they look pretty clean and shiny.
i guess a better question would be, would i be insane to get something this big? i am a tinkerer and don't have any special projects requiring something this huge. in fact, all i want is something to finish machining a casting to build a steady rest for an 11" South Bend lathe. i have other little projects i could do, but i have no big plans to build battleship engines or machine D-9 bulldozer parts.
heck, if a good industrial drill press would work for the small machine projects i have, i'd just buy one of them and put a collet on the spindle instead of a drill chuck. would a good used heavy-duty drill press work for this?
what if i just bought the K&T powered vertical head and mounted it on another piece of equipment with the milling table on it?

i enjoy a good project.
:-)

andy b.

wierdscience
09-29-2003, 10:55 PM
If you can get it cheap go for it,especially if you have the room,you might not need it now,but you might wise you had it later.

Heck its probibly got NT tooling with it,so if you later change your mind you can more than likely sell the tooling on ebay and make a profit on it.

Oh ya,several months ago I bought a K&T #2 mill with a verticle head and a universal table,I paid $200.00 for it from my local scrap yard,remeber there is a glut of used machinery on the market right now with everthing going onto Mexico and South America so bid low.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 09-29-2003).]

Thrud
09-30-2003, 02:24 AM
andy

You can never have too fast a car/truck/motorcycle/computer.

A machine that big is nice for large projects, yah sure, you say you don't need it now...but you will need bigger once you start building stuff! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

You should not use a drill press as a mill. You could buy a small mill/drill, but it might cost more than the K&T, and it certainly will not come with any goodies like the K&T.

If you got the room, and it feels good - go for it.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 09-30-2003).]

Peter S
09-30-2003, 07:29 AM
Andy,

I don't know how 'large' the K&T No. 3 mill is, but one problem with large machines is, they are not very 'sensitive', that is, you can't feel much through the controls. This doesn't matter if you are using power feed, or know from experience how fast to feed by hand, but the good thing about a mill of say the Bridgeport size is that you can 'feel' what is going on when feeding by hand.
Also, does the vertical head have a quill? very useful. Further more, the quill on a Bridgeport is also sensitive, you can feel just how much pressure you are putting on that centre drill etc.

You can do a lot on a Bridgeport (or clone) and have fun too, mill/drills will always disapoint (apologies to you mill/drill owners), larger machines will leave you cursing too when trying to mill and drill with much under say 1/2" diameter cutters.

Probably a bit of a generalisation, but it sounds like you are considering a machine way bigger than you will ever need.

jcurrell
10-01-2003, 10:37 AM
I have a standard vertical mill( heavy& solid ) I got on ebay for $1500 and ahorizantal I got for $1250. Look at some before you buy. I also paid too much for my fist mill it is important to look around.

------------------

andy_b
10-01-2003, 11:13 AM
yeah, if i could get it for under $800 maybe it would be a deal, but the more i look, the more i realize i still need a big 3-PH converter and it is quite a large machine.
what i really need is an old bridgeport in need of some minor repair and a paint job and no fancy stuff (like a DRO etc.).

oh well, the search is half the fun.
:-)

andy b.