PDA

View Full Version : Center Drill Holder

brian Rupnow
10-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I wanted to try out the tailstock lock that I just added to my lathe, and one of the things I've been meaning to build for a while now is a center drill holder. Every time I go to drill something in my lathe, I have to put a center drill into the tailstock chuck, tighten the chuck, drill the center hole, then remove the center drill and put in the appropriate sized drill. I wanted something with an MT2 taper that I can just pop into the tailstock to do my center drilling. I bought an MT2 blank, (they're only about $6) but it was just too short. I needed something that had a bit of reach to it---that would stick out past the tailstock at least as far as the tailstock chuck does, when mounted in the tailstock. I had a 3/4" diameter peice of "mystery metal" laying around, so I drilled a hole .22" all the way through it and reamed it 0.25" dia.to a depth of 1.05". (That way if my center drill ever breaks off, I can poke it out from the other end with a 3/16" rod.) I drilled and reamed a blind hole 1.25" deep in the MT2 blank. Both the holder and the MT2 blank were then drilled and tapped 1/4"-20 for a set screw. There was no tang on the tail end of the MT2 blank, and I wanted it to self eject from the tailstock when I cranked the handwheel all the way back, so I screwed a 3/8" bolt into the tapped hole in the back end of the blank (with a little 638 Loctite) and cut the head off. The tailstock lock works bloody marvelous, and I now have another peice of "Homemade" tooling.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/ccenterdrillholder001.jpg

Highpower
10-19-2009, 03:31 PM
The latest trend in lathe fashion accessories? :D

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=37169

Carld
10-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Nice job brian and we used them at work but without the extension. I just have not found it worth the time of popping the tailstock chuck out, popping in the drill taper, drilling the center drill, popping the taper out and installing the chuck and then putting a drill in and drilling the hole.

The only time I found it worth the time is when I was just drilling a center for using the live center or dead center. Swapping tapers takes more time than switching center and drills in a chuck for me but they are handy to have.

brian Rupnow
10-19-2009, 04:29 PM
The latest trend in lathe fashion accessories? :D

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=37169

Yes, it was the post in that link that gave me the idea to do my holder---only I had the MT2 blank kicking around my shop for a couple of years gathering dust.

brian Rupnow
10-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice job brian and we used them at work but without the extension. I just have not found it worth the time of popping the tailstock chuck out, popping in the drill taper, drilling the center drill, popping the taper out and installing the chuck and then putting a drill in and drilling the hole.

The only time I found it worth the time is when I was just drilling a center for using the live center or dead center. Swapping tapers takes more time than switching center and drills in a chuck for me but they are handy to have.
CarlD---You may be right. My lathe has an 18" bed, so I only have the tailstock chuck in when I'm actually using it, or it gets in my way. I'm still in "Time killing mode" here, so if I don't use the holder, I'm not out any money anyways.---Brian

johnnyd
10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I have been using a 3/8 end mill holder for years to hold a #4-1/2 center drill. Just grind a spot on the center drill for the setscrew.

Duffy
10-20-2009, 05:26 PM
I must be missing something. I started to build one of these neat little extras, then I looked at my drill chuck-it is keyless! I assume that the handiness of a taper shank center drill holder elliminates the endless loosen chuck with key, change bit, tighten chuck with key, drill hole, etc. i think that I am OK with my keyless chuck. Duffy

brian Rupnow
10-20-2009, 06:14 PM
I must be missing something. I started to build one of these neat little extras, then I looked at my drill chuck-it is keyless! I assume that the handiness of a taper shank center drill holder elliminates the endless loosen chuck with key, change bit, tighten chuck with key, drill hole, etc. i think that I am OK with my keyless chuck. Duffy
Duffy, Duffy, Duffy---Its for the friggin lathe...not the drill press!!!

Peter N
10-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Duffy, Duffy, Duffy---Its for the friggin lathe...not the drill press!!!

And many of us have keyless drill chucks in the Lathe :D

brian Rupnow
10-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Duh!!! Dummy on me!! I thought that I read "drill press" in his post.