PDA

View Full Version : CVA Oiling.... (10EE)

small.planes
10-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Evening all,
Ive go some oil for my CVA, but I cant find the filler!
I had a look at John Stevenson's this afternoon, and on the apron there is a nice little bung, helpfully marked 'oil'
No such bung on mine, and the manual thinks it should be there as well....
There is a large circular panel just above and right of the handwheel, that has a bearing behind it, and apart from that no obvious place to fill it up...

Anyone know where the apron oil filler is?

Ill post a photo tomorrow when I get back from work, garage is all locked up now.

This photo from tony's sight shows the apron, and Im pretty sure that mine is the same, but I cant see the oil filler on it either...

http://www.lathes.co.uk/cva/img8.gif

cheers

Dave

Timleech
10-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Evening all,
Ive go some oil for my CVA, but I cant find the filler!
I had a look at John Stevenson's this afternoon, and on the apron there is a nice little bung, helpfully marked 'oil'
No such bung on mine, and the manual thinks it should be there as well....
There is a large circular panel just above and right of the handwheel, that has a bearing behind it, and apart from that no obvious place to fill it up...

Anyone know where the apron oil filler is?

Ill post a photo tomorrow when I get back from work, garage is all locked up now.
cheers

Dave

Should be directly above the sliding feed clutch.

Tim

small.planes
10-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Thats where it is on JS one...

Maybe I got a friday machine where they forgot that feature.... :rolleyes:

Dave

John Stevenson
10-21-2009, 06:18 PM
When Tim says the clutch does he mean the clutch lever, the one under the cross slide hand wheel ?

Mine is a chrome bung that goes in that hole above the carriage handwheel on Tony's photo, looks like it's missing off that one.

Mine is a very early one , 1953, Yours and Tim's two are later models.

ammcoman2
10-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Don't know if this will be of any help. On my Standard Modern 1120 Series 2000 the apron gearbox oil filler is on top of the carriage and looks like one of the cap screws holding the gearbox to the carriage. Except it is a socket head set screw (tapered).

Wonder if the one on your machine has been "painted" in. When I initially assembled the machine after setting it up I filled the box with oil before assembling it to the carriage as I didn't know that there was one!!! Could see the drain plug though. I subsequently punched "oil" next to the set screw for future reference.

Geoff

camdigger
10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Whattzat thing that looks like a zerk in the upper RH corner of the apron? Is it a lube fitting or do I need to clean my glasses?

Zerks are press on grease nipples... Dunno what their moniker might be across the pond or around the world....?

http://www.alibaba.com/productshowimg/370724730831612-100983944-0/Zerk_Fitting_grease_nipple.html

Timleech
10-22-2009, 02:56 AM
When Tim says the clutch does he mean the clutch lever, the one under the cross slide hand wheel ?

Mine is a chrome bung that goes in that hole above the carriage handwheel on Tony's photo, looks like it's missing off that one.

Mine is a very early one , 1953, Yours and Tim's two are later models.

Yes mine, also a chrome bung, is directly above the left-hand clutch lever.

Tim

small.planes
10-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Found a picture, not the best angle, should improve tonight...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/small_planes/CVAoil.jpg

Blue arrow is approx where JS oil hole is?
Red arrow approx where Tim Leach oil hole is?

I did have a thought on the way to work that the Micrometer dial is not on the picture from tonys site, so maybe my oil hole is hiding behind it? There is no bung marked Oil, but maybe it was removed to fit the dial?

Dave

Timleech
10-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Found a picture, not the best angle, should improve tonight...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/small_planes/CVAoil.jpg

Blue arrow is approx where JS oil hole is?
Red arrow approx where Tim Leach oil hole is?

I did have a thought on the way to work that the Micrometer dial is not on the picture from tonys site, so maybe my oil hole is hiding behind it? There is no bung marked Oil, but maybe it was removed to fit the dial?

Dave

Red arrow is correct for mine. There's oil showing in the sight glass, it must have got in there somehow ;)
I'd have a look in the top. If you can't find one, maybe take out the carriage lock screw, I think that's above the right area for the oil to find its way down to the sump. Not ideal I know, but the clamp should stay in place if you're careful.

Mine both have dials on the carriage handwheel, but I think they're smaller than yours. One is seized & I can't find a way to free it without a complete strip down, of course that's on the lathe with no DRO :(
I'll hazard a guess that yours is a late model, later than mine?

Tim

Mark McGrath
10-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I`ve dug out the manuals and the 1A Ser 111 version has the oil filler plug above the longitudinal feed clutch lever,where the red arrow is.
The earlier 1A version has it above the shaft for the saddle handwheel where the blue arrow is,but the 1A does not have a micrometer dial so I reckon your right about the filler plug being behind it.
Sorry can`t post the pic as the manuals are old and won`t scan clearly.
Mark.

small.planes
10-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Ive got both manuals thanks Mark.
Ive finally found the correct hole, Ive edited the picture to add a green arrow where the hole is. Its under the cap head at the front just to the right of the cross slide.
The hole behind the dial isnt a hole, just a dimple.

I think this might be a quite late CVA, but I dont know. It certainly has the later suds pump etc.

Tim:
The carriage handwheel comes off once you undo the 2 pin nut on the front, remove the dog lock which engages to allow it to turn the shaft, and then remove the circlip which holds the handwheel on. hope this helps.

Dave

John Stevenson
10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
If you look at Tony picture which was the same as mine, clutch lever right against the chuck ? [ now removed and the motor fitted with DOL starter ] it wouldn't get hidden by the dial as it's level with the bottom screw on the blanking plate.

I don't have a dial on mine, how many divisions per turn ?

small.planes
10-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Ill go an check in a bit, but IIRC (was looking at it only 30 mins ago :rolleyes: )
1" travel per rev, marked in 0.005 per division.
The dimple wouldnt work as a filler with my dial, but would be ok with a smaller one.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/small_planes/SSC_5939.jpg

Heres the hidden filler:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/small_planes/SSC_5938.jpg
I have a feeling I should get the letter punches out and mark Oil by it for the future.

Dave

Timleech
10-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Heres the hidden filler:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/small_planes/SSC_5938.jpg
I have a feeling I should get the letter punches out and make Oil by it for the future.

Dave

So what makes that an oil filler as distinct from just another screw holding the apron?

Ta for the tip on the handwheel. I'll have another go at it in my copious free time <g>

Tim

small.planes
10-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Its the only hole that goes through (DAMHIK) :rolleyes:

Dave

Mark McGrath
10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
So what makes that an oil filler as distinct from just another screw holding the apron?
Tim

I would ask the same question.
In the manual showing the early machine without the dial on the saddle handwheel an arrow clearly points to where you have the dimple and says "oil filler" or something.Bear in mind without the dial that dimple is a long way from the shaft.

Mark McGrath
10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Ive got both manuals thanks Mark.
Ive finally found the correct hole, Ive edited the picture to add a green arrow where the hole is. Its under the cap head at the front just to the right of the cross slide.
The hole behind the dial isnt a hole, just a dimple.
Dave

So does one of your manuals show the model which did not get fitted with a dial but has instead an oil filler plug? And a big sign and an arrow on the drawing pointing to it?

small.planes
10-22-2009, 04:53 PM
I know its a dimple, as tonight in the hunt for the filler Ive had the handle, dial and back plate off. Theres a bearing behind the backplate that the handle shaft runs in, and the dimple, where the oil filler would be is just a dimple, admittedly with a load of crud in it, but I scraped it with a terminal driver , just to make sure....

There is only 1 of the bolt holes in the top which has a hole in the bottom of it, and having poured oil into it the level on the sight glass is now a little over halfway :) Job done.

Dave

Edit to add:
According to my manuals (which are copies) the early version gets a filler where the blue arrow points, and the later version gets one where the red arrow points, 2 different pictures. The hole at the top is not mentioned in either manual. Ill have a look tommorow and see if I can find a build plate with a date on it somewhere, its possible I have a machine where they didnt put either oiler hole in the apron front to save costs?

Dave

pistonskirt
10-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Mine is the same, I was somewhat mystified too when I first got the machine but as someone earlier suggested "the oil got in there somehow" so I looked for a suitably positioned candidate & found the same cap head bolt in the through drilling.

It is not all that uncommon for cap head bolts on machinery to serve this dual function, but it would have been nice of CVA to mention the change somewhere.

regards

Brian