PDA

View Full Version : OT --- Birds eye pepper sauce

jeremy13
10-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Not shore how fare north the wild plants will grow. But hear it is time for them to start turning colors and are ripe. The recipe is simple pick enough to fill a jar half way up. I just recycle an old steak sauce bottle. And fill the bottle with warm (120f) vinegar. And what 1 month to ferment and you are dun. I still have some from 1995 you can throw it out when the peppers fall a part. This will make a tasty and hot salsa:eek: that you can use like Tabasco sauce. I use it on Chilly, Tamales, Summer sausage, Collard greens, you name it. Easy to spot the plant the peppers grow on the top or point up instead of hang like other peppers. I think they are also called Chillypapens.

http://i36.tinypic.com/fn7dpz.jpg

laddy
10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Wish I had them growing here!!! Fred

sandiapaul
10-21-2009, 07:32 PM
We grow them here in central Jersey, they are great! My wife makes the same sauce, great with serrano peppers too!

jeremy13
10-21-2009, 07:59 PM
sandiapanl Do you propagate the plants or dig up wild ones and trans plant. They are very hard to grow from seed and would like to know your secret for starting from seed.

KiddZimaHater
10-21-2009, 10:00 PM
I have those growing all over my yard, here in San Antonio.
They're delicious raw, and even better pickled.
Hotter than Jalapenos, too.
I thought they were called Chile Pequins ??????
Whatever they are, they're GOOD.

hornluv
10-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I have a friend down in Laredo that sent me a bunch of those. He didn't have to transplant anything. The birds did it for him :D

Edit, BTW they do not grow in Illinois

Mike Burdick
10-22-2009, 03:06 AM
jeremy13,

Thanks for posting this! I'm going to have to try growing some.:)

Mike

pcarpenter
10-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I have a friend down in Laredo that sent me a bunch of those. He didn't have to transplant anything. The birds did it for him :D

I'll bet those birds were praying for icecream :D

Paul

Duffy
10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
How do I arrange to get some of those seeds sent up here. While it IS the Frozen North, we can grow Habenaros and Jalepenos here. The bird chilies used to grow at my back door in Kenya. The birds loved them. African Grey parrots are particularly fond of chilies, and apparently dont find them hot. Duffy

jeremy13
10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I have heard that the wild turkeys’ will eat the peppers and then you can not eat the meat it is to hot . I don’t know that for sure but sounds plausible. Growing the peppers from seed can be tricky most people just trans plant. I would be willing to send you the seeds just tell me how you would like them prepared.

2ManyHobbies
10-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Birds aren't equipped to feel the burn. I've been at war with some mocking birds to keep them out of my Tabasco peppers for the last two years. Grow those little peppers on the deck then just drop them in an old Jack Daniels bottle with some salt and vinegar. Let them age for at least a month before you get into it. The fresh ones are about 12x more damage than the sauce you get at the store. I decided to sample a fresh one -- once. :eek:

I find a single Habanero chopped and dropped into a medium pot with a pound of peanuts and 3/8 cup of salt is about right for the spectators. I'm partial to more, but SWMBO insists on getting a portion. ;)

HSS
10-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I find a single Habanero chopped and dropped into a medium pot with a pound of peanuts and 3/8 cup of salt is about right for the spectators. I'm partial to more, but SWMBO insists on getting a portion. ;)

2Many, is that boiled or roasted p-nuts?:confused:

Patrick

thistle
10-22-2009, 05:24 PM
i have a lot of those growing.

i usually make a sauce with whateve the fruit that is handy
last sauce was
pepper and lime
bitter orange
banana
peach
mangoe

i have dried them and put them in oil
likewise smoked them

you can also put them inwith whatever alcohol is around, i have them in whiskey, rum, sherry, port, vodka

the alcohol/pepper goes well in a soup /stew

2ManyHobbies
10-22-2009, 05:59 PM
2Many, is that boiled or roasted p-nuts?:confused:

Patrick

Boiled. Yeah, I should have noted water was included.

GNO
10-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Just a thought, could those peppers be using the birds digestive system to transplant the seeds? The passing through the system may change the way they sprout????

2ManyHobbies
10-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Just a thought, could those peppers be using the birds digestive system to transplant the seeds? The passing through the system may change the way they sprout????

It goes straight through. The plant gives away brightly colored tasty morsels with nearly indigestible cargo and gets a wider range as a result. The seeds have a waxy coating that helps keep them intact. Animals that would be more suited to digesting such things tend to run off in search of water after a bite or two. :D

sandiapaul
10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Here is where I get my plants, they are nearby but they ship anywhere!

http://www.chileplants.com/