PDA

View Full Version : Top - Bottom // On - Off and Thumb Screw Position

Paul Alciatore
10-23-2009, 03:51 AM
My new mill (Grizzly G0484) has a red OFF button just above a green ON button. This is driving me nuts. My hands, my mind expects the ON to be on top and the OFF on the bottom. The colors are OK, it is the positons that seem backward to me.

Is this some kind of industrial thing? Is it common on machine tools? Or is it an oriental thing? Chinese thing? Or just stupidity?

I am tempted to open it up and reverse the two switches if I can.

Another minor irritation is the set screw for the down feed calibrated collar is located so that it is adjacent to the head when the zero is at the index line. This makes it very hard or even impossible to actually set it to zero. I think I will drill and tap another hole 180 deg. opposite the present position.

Ken_Shea
10-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Paul, if you are the only operator, that is, not in a commercial environment then I would position the on/off so that is natural for you, did the same thing on my lathe, friend always pushes the lever in his normal way and then it runs reverse for him :D

Bill Pace
10-23-2009, 10:44 AM
That does sound as though it would be sorta odd ----

I dont think I've ever had a machine that I didnt "personalize" it - thats some of the fun! For some reason they (manufacturers) never ask my opinion of where to put switches, levers, etc:rolleyes:

I reversed the lever switch on a lathe, after installing a trav-a-dial, it was finicky to get it into the 'up' position, but the down was quick and easy - and since I rarely use reverse on a lathe, I "switched the switch"

HighWall
10-23-2009, 10:53 AM
My new mill (Grizzly G0484) has a red OFF button just above a green ON button. This is driving me nuts. My hands, my mind expects the ON to be on top and the OFF on the bottom. The colors are OK, it is the positons that seem backward to me.

Is this some kind of industrial thing? Is it common on machine tools? Or is it an oriental thing? Chinese thing? Or just stupidity?

I am tempted to open it up and reverse the two switches if I can.

Another minor irritation is the set screw for the down feed calibrated collar is located so that it is adjacent to the head when the zero is at the index line. This makes it very hard or even impossible to actually set it to zero. I think I will drill and tap another hole 180 deg. opposite the present position.

My G3103 mill has a similar arrangement. I believe it is intended to work as an emergency shut off. The off (red) button is raised, the on (green) is flat. There is a button on the safety cover which, if you pound on it, will push the red button in, turning off the power to the machine. It's a minor annoyance.

boaterri
10-23-2009, 11:41 AM
In some areas (Australia comes to mind) up is off/down is on on toggle switches. My boss originally is from Australia and the early equipment that he had a hand in designing was built that way. Until of course we "field rats" "fixed it".

Could be that the idea migrated to China.

Rick

Paul Alciatore
10-23-2009, 11:46 AM
I think the covers are coming off.