View Full Version : What's 'indexable' mean?

10-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Ok, my newbie cover's been blown...

I see the term 'indexable' quite often, especially when referring to face mills. What exactly does that mean? I know the word roughly means able to make a reference point, but how is that different from any other face mill? Is there even such a thing as a non-indexable face mill?

10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
just means that the cutting insert is 'indexable', that is can be replaced or rotated to a new cutting edge. If the cutter had brazed inserts it would have to be removed and either reground or the tib changed as in carbide tipped saw blades.


10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm just guessing, but my suspicion is that "Indexable" refers to the fact that when an insert is rotated or replaced, the cutting edge ends up in the exact same place as the previous cutting edge.

10-23-2009, 02:12 PM
That's right, if you have the edge fail you can rotate or replace the cutter insert and it will still be where it was last on the surface of the cut.