PDA

View Full Version : Say, Thrud, Got a Question For You

Tuckerfan
09-28-2003, 06:46 PM
In one of the threads here on the board, you mentioned a book which deals with what happened when the US Navy installed some M$ products on one of it's ships. (You know, the computers promptly crashed, and the ship had to be towed into port and have its drives wiped before they could get the thing up and running again.) What's the name of the book? I tried searching here, but can't find the thread, nor does a search of Barnes and Nobles or Amazon's websites provide any usefull information (well, it might, but I've got more important things to do than scan some 7000+ titles).

------------------

Thrud
09-30-2003, 05:24 AM
Tuckerfan:
It was something that John Dvorak mentioned in PC magazine. A few newspapers also carried the story (I have been told).

I also seen it on Discovery channel when they were talking about the Canadian missle ships versus the US Aegis class. The Canadian ships used hand coded and tested software on a distributed node configuration - they then went into the problems the Americans had with their centralized system and software.

Sorry I don't have anymore info for you - That is about all I can remember.

Tuckerfan
10-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks, anyway. It's more to go on than what I had. I know there's a book on the subject. Guess I'll have to hie myself to the local book mart and see if I can't sniff it out.

------------------