PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate endmill?

Timleech
10-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I got this cutter among a box of 'Dedlock' cutters a few years ago, & wondered why anyone would need one like it. Finally found a use for it today:-

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/Timleech_2009/DSCF2742.jpg

The cutter is 6" long, 3" dia. 'Dedlock' is a Clarkson system for shell mills which have internal threads, the big brother of the Autolock endmill chuck system.
More or less defunct now, but I think you can still find new cutters if you look hard enough and have deep enough pockets.
I just needed radiused cutouts for water passages in a part for a marine thermostat. A 1/8" thick slice of 2" dia 316, with a 6-32 thread in the centre to hold the Waxstat element. The big cutter was about the right diameter and long enough to reach across the end of the vice.

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/Timleech_2009/DSCF2743.jpg

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/Timleech_2009/DSCF2748.jpg

Tim

Teenage_Machinist
10-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow. Can't exactly use the rotable on a horizontal! Good idea if you got the cutter.

John Stevenson
10-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Whydithav'tbecurved ?

2flatsdo?

Walter
10-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Whydithav'tbecurved ?

2flatsdo?

I think I once spoke that language... but I quit drinking long ago ;)

boslab
10-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Timleach,
I noticed the britool tin on the table, is that the funny size set i.e not 1/4 or 3/8 but inbetween, i have a set and its always puzzled me [ i've got a 1/2" hex drive set also thats an enigma
mark

Timleech
10-24-2009, 04:07 AM
Timleach,
I noticed the britool tin on the table, is that the funny size set i.e not 1/4 or 3/8 but inbetween, i have a set and its always puzzled me [ i've got a 1/2" hex drive set also thats an enigma
mark

I've always assumed it's a 1/4" sq set, youve put doubt in my mind so I'll check later ;)

Tim

Timleech
10-24-2009, 04:17 AM
Whydithav'tbecurved ?

2flatsdo?

Didn't need to be, probably. The original was missing, described in the parts book as a 'plate' so I assume a disc with holes. I wanted to be sure it stayed flat, while allowing plenty of water through. Could have attacked it with a hacksaw or angle grinder, would have worked just as well!

Tim

Timleech
10-24-2009, 05:22 AM
Timleach,
mark

You're absolutely right, the male squares measure around .285".

I seem to remember reading that they made some odd sizes for the military to reduce 'losses'.
They weren't the only ones to make hex drive sockets, my dad had a simple hex drive set years ago, I think it was Gedore or similar.

Tim

Paul Alciatore
10-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Didn't need to be, probably. The original was missing, described in the parts book as a 'plate' so I assume a disc with holes. I wanted to be sure it stayed flat, while allowing plenty of water through. Could have attacked it with a hacksaw or angle grinder, would have worked just as well!

Tim

Yea, it probably could have been a straight cut or perhaps a Vee and worked just as well. But if you have a nice, BIG, 10,000,000 percent overkill cutter just sitting around, you just h-a-v-e to use it.

Somehow, I completely understand.

John Stevenson
10-24-2009, 12:18 PM
You're absolutely right, the male squares measure around .285".

I seem to remember reading that they made some odd sizes for the military to reduce 'losses'.

Tim
Yes typical MOD move to prevent them walking, still have a set here somewhere with one of the rare 1/4" to 9/32" adaptors.

Another trick they had was to tap the spark plug holes out on their vehicles to 14.22mm and use specially supplied plugs.
The idea was if they got stuck a 14mm plug would fit but the unwashed couldn't steal 'their' plugs to fit in the ride to work, unless you 'obtained' one of their taps :D :D

Very handy for racing as they had some very very special and expensive plugs with side electrodes and platinum points, common now but not at that time.