PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmithing question?

wierdscience
10-01-2003, 12:14 AM
I got a friend who bought at a gunshow a Remmington md 760 Gamemaster .30-06,clip feed,muzzle brake,iron sights,my question is,after he got home he wanted to mount his scope and someone had put a set of those cheap aluminum mounts on it,he went to remove it and found 11 holes drilled and tapped into the top all crooked and off center,the gun shoots perfectly,he vaporised a coke bottle at 300 yds first shot,but how would be the best way to repair the damage?I drilled a new set of mounts to fit the existing holes and epoxied the new mount in place,it so far has worked rock solid,his son shoots iron sights and would like to return it to original at some point.

jfsmith
10-01-2003, 12:59 AM
I have a Super-X Model 1 that somebody butchered to put a scope on it. I got from Brownels some filler or plug screw and filled in the holes. I taped a new set of holes that were correct for a scope mount, but I never put the scope on it. It was suggested that I find a TIG welder who was a real astist at his craft to fill the holes, but I am not sure if it was worth the trouble and if every thing would stay true to factory spec. or at least close.

It shoots weel for me, so I decided to use it with the filler screws loctited in.

Jerry

mpbush
10-01-2003, 01:08 AM
At least it was a sporting gun that was meant have holes drilled in it. I hate it when I find some rare military rifle and "bubba" has drilled scope holes in it.

Okay, back to your question. Brownells sells screw specificaly to fill "extra" scope mount holes, that is the easiest way.

Welding is the best but most tricky option. Another is to put set screws in the holes, stake them on the inside then grind them off and reblue the reciever.

Michael

G.A. Ewen
10-01-2003, 01:29 AM
I was asked recently to weld up a scar on the barrel of a 303 Enfield. I don't really know anything about gunsmithing and was afraid that if I preheated it I might do the barrel permanent damage so I gave it a small bead cold and then filed and sanded it. (sanded the whole barrel for reblue) It looked great after the sanding but the bluing did not take very well on the welded spot.

[This message has been edited by G.A. Ewen (edited 10-01-2003).]

Thrud
10-01-2003, 08:27 AM
I would fill them with set screws then TIG them or TIG the holes with plain steel filler rod. Clean it with acetone first and remove the butt piece and attach the ground to the mounting stud. Support the gun off the welding table with insulating materials (plywood, leather apron, etc.) so none of the other blued surfaces experience any "arcing"

Let the reciever cool down between fills.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 10-01-2003).]

Neil
10-01-2003, 09:12 AM
Back in the December 2001/January 2002 issue of Machinist's Workshop, Steve Acker wrote about repairing a scope base mounting hole in his column "The Gunsmith Machinist."

Basically, the project involved repairing the thread, plugging the hole with a tinned screw and soldering the screw in position. Then, after trimming, a new hole could be drilled.

If you don't have that particular issue, it's still available as a back issue through the circulation department. (800) 447-7367 8-5 PM EDT.

Neil

jfsmith
10-01-2003, 07:34 PM
I used to have a pre WW II Walther Olympic Rifle. It was in Beautiful condition, except it was being put in a fire to destroy rifle after the surrender, and a hot barrel landed on the barrel and fore grip of the Walther, my father rescued it. I asked around and nobody knew how to determine if the barrel was damaged or not, but it shot well. I never found out if the bluing could be fixed, I tried a couple of times with Brownels hot bluing, but the heated spot always showed thru.

It is amazing what people will do to wonderful rifles, like driling and taping at home and then putting a Tasco scope on a great rifle.

wierdscience
10-01-2003, 08:01 PM
I don't know the exact age of the gun,but I think it is about a 50's model just looking at the quality,the shame is I shot a few rounds through it yesterday and it was spot on at 100 yds,thre real shame is it even felt good,it felt real natural,most guns don't for me(6'5" 320#)but this one felt like it belonged on my shoulder,shame somebody screwed it up appearence wise http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

mpbush
10-01-2003, 08:26 PM
If the gun shoots for you, keep it and just fill the holes. I sell any gun I don't shoot well and only keep the ones that do. I got purdy guns and ugly guns but they all shoot well.

Brownells has special screws just for this and the item number is 080716648 and the price is $20 for 12, more than enough to fix the gun.

http://www.brownells.com/