PDA

View Full Version : Power Table Feed Questions

coollx
10-25-2009, 01:14 PM
I have a BP mill with a 9X42 table that I'm thinking about adding a power table feed on. Though I have a couple of questions since I've never had a power table feed.

1. My table has some wear and gets a little tight at the ends of the travel. I'm trying to decide what table feed to buy but want to make sure the tightness at the ends of the table travel won't cause the table feed to stall or stop or die.

I'm probably leaning toward a table feed with a 150 in lbs power rating. I wonder whether driving the table from end to end using a inch pound torque wrench using the nuts that hold the handle on and observing the maximum reading on the torque wrench scale will give me an accurate indication of whether the table tightness will cause a problem.

It seems that the advertised torque ratings of the power table feeds are the maximum and that the average torque they can maintain without self-destructing is about 90-100 in lbs.

2. I would like to avoid losing total table travel and found that Servo makes a extension kit specifically for that. Since my budget is probably geared more toward an Align or Import table feed rather then a Servo brand, I wonder if anyone knows if the Servo extension kit will work with other brand power table feeds? Btw, at $400 the Servo extension kit is not cheap.

Would appreciate any thoughts or input.

Thanks

lane
10-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Do not worry about it . Most old mills are tight on the ends from wear. The Power feed will run it ok from end to end .Either a 140 are a 150 unit will do. I have been running old wore out mills for 40 + years so I know what will and what wont work. Go for it you will be a happy camper. As far as the extension kit goes save your money and add a 2 inch block of aluminum between the end of the table and the end cap for the bearings. You will have to make a shaft extension to add the 2 inches back so all ill fit up.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/Birminghammill018-1.jpg
Notice block between table end and tablr bearing end cap.

v860rich
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
I have an import power feed and from time to time have forgot that the table locks are engaged and it has powered right on without a whimper.
Actually there are times when I will engage one lock to smooth the cut with a roughing cutter.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Bill Pace
10-25-2009, 11:33 PM
I agree with Lane & Rich, an Align PF will scoot that table right across and not bat an eye. Lane and I both have put them on all 3 axes and they work great. While the Y axis isnt all that big a deal, the Knee with a PF on it is fantastic! - right up there with the fantastic-ness of the X feed PF!

Like Lane says, you'll be glad you did;)

coollx
10-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Lane, Rich and Bill thank you for the quick and positive feedback. I am definitely going to buy one now.

For the extension, it looks like I have to join a 5/8" shaft to the existing threads on the end of the lead screw, put a keyway in it for the handle and thread the end of the extension to hold the whole thing together.

Lane, any tips on the easiest way to make the shaft extension?

Thanks again.

lane
10-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Sounds like you on the right track. Lane