PDA

View Full Version : kool mist

Brett Hurt
10-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Has any one used this, and what do you think of it. Or is there some thing better

Mark Hockett
10-26-2009, 01:53 AM
I have Kool Mist systems on both of my knee mills, one of my manual lathes and one of my carbide grinders. They are not as good as flood coolant but then they are not as messy. I think they work OK.

Uncle O
10-26-2009, 07:23 AM
They have worked alright for me also, much as Mark has said.
Be sure to use a coolant made for misting, or you will end up with a fog throughout the shop.

JoeLee
10-26-2009, 09:13 AM
I have a mister for my mill also. It works ok for keeping things cool but does nothing for washing chips away. I would put towels around the vise to absorb the fluid so it wouldn't run all over the table. You can go through a gallon of fluid in a hour or so of milling. Big drawback was all the fluid turned funny after a while of no use.

JL..............

SGW
10-26-2009, 10:21 AM
If you're going through a gallon an hour, I think you must have it cranked up way too high. According to Bijur, there should be virtually no visible mist. The cooling comes from the liquid evaporating into the airstream and chilling the air. You can feel this happen if you stick your finger in the airstream then slowly turn on the coolant. When you start seeing a trace of liquid on your finger, that's enough.

beanbag
10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
I've built a misting system, and the main difference between this and a "real" misting system is that the coolant comes out in bigger "chunks" than a mist. I've found that I need enough coolant that I can actually see moisture forming on the surface it is spraying on. Any less, and the end mill starts showing symptoms of dry machining, e.g. built up edge when doing aluminum. At this level, I go thru about 1 cup per hour. The main benefit of my mist system's clumpy output is that I don't fog up the work area.

tattoomike68
10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
If you're going through a gallon an hour, I think you must have it cranked up way too high. According to Bijur, there should be virtually no visible mist. The cooling comes from the liquid evaporating into the airstream and chilling the air. You can feel this happen if you stick your finger in the airstream then slowly turn on the coolant. When you start seeing a trace of liquid on your finger, that's enough.

I agree.

I used kool mist for years and a little goes a long way, if you need to keep chips out of big keyways or pockets than you hit it with an air hose once in a while.

Kool mister work fine for big hole drilling but beware of chips grabing the hose so peck drill often. If you are drilling small holes use a dishwashing soap jug as a coolent bottle and save on air compresser use.

lane
10-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Yes I loose more from evaporation in the bucket than spraying on the cutter. Use it for years . Will not use flood coolant on a mill too much mess.

madokie
10-27-2009, 01:47 AM
we had 1 when i started in a shop ,kept having prob with hot chips melting plastic hose, we then ordered 2 with brass hoses,4 yrs later ,no prob at all .good product.

Steve Seebold
10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
I use a spray mister called a Fog Buster. It's a little on the pricey side at close to $500.00, but I use it on a small NC mill in my garage and in a one week period, I will use about half of the the contents of the 1/2 gallon tank.

The system is neat because you run 40 LBS. air pressure to the system then regulate it down to 6 lbs. out of the nozzles and there is no mist fogging up the room.