PDA

View Full Version : George Scherr NY Oak Machinist Tool Box

T in T
10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know if the old George Scherr Co out of NY made oak machinist boxes or not? I found one at a yard sale and it looks a lot like the old Gerstner box, but has a George Scherr label on one of the drawers.
Thanks,
T in T

Bobbldr
10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Does anyone know if the old George Scherr Co out of NY made oak machinist boxes or not? I found one at a yard sale and it looks a lot like the old Gerstner box, but has a George Scherr label on one of the drawers.
Thanks,
T in T
Here is one that I just listed on eBay made by the George Scherr Co. Note the old Popular Mechanics ad from 1945 featuring the Scherr chest included in the listing- pretty cool!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220501123317&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Axlemoron
10-27-2009, 08:22 PM
I'd put my money on it being a Gerstner.

You know that George Scherr became Tumico, don't you?

Most of my mics are Tumico. I should get that tool box. But I won't. For one thing, I can't buy from ebay anymore because I don't have a credit card or paypal.

JCHannum
10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I would doubt that it is a Gerstner. The style and quality of the corner joints differs as does the hardware, particularly the brackets below the top. The quality of the wood is also not at all typical of Gerstner. There were several manufacturers of wood machinists chests that followed the basic Gerstner style.

George Scherr manufactured measuring instruments of good quality but were of a lower cost than those of Starrett, Lufkin and B&S. Tumico was originally the Tubular Micrometer Company, they manufactured mics with tubular frames that were also lower priced. The name was shortened to Tumico and the two companies eventually merged to become Scherr Tumico.

J Tiers
10-27-2009, 10:38 PM
I'd put my money on it being a Gerstner.

You know that George Scherr became Tumico, don't you?

Most of my mics are Tumico. I should get that tool box. But I won't. For one thing, I can't buy from ebay anymore because I don't have a credit card or paypal.

Actually "Scherr -Tumico" if anything..... apparently Tumico existed as "Tumico" before the combination. At least I have one (POS) multi-anvil mic that is "Tumico", no "Scherr".

machinistchest
11-20-2009, 03:03 AM
Well ,Yes George made boxes.

His handle was huge he must have had a big hand. The standard spacing between the rivets was 6" however the scherr was somewhere around 7" maybe T in T can confirm that dimension for me.

There were enough of those chests sold on the market to justfy tooling those extra large handles. I`m getting many requests.

Thanks MC

http://machinistchest.com/site/product_details.php?category_id=55&item_id=1