PDA

View Full Version : What's the hex in the new Vice grip adjusting nut for?

Richard86
10-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Has anyone figured this out? I've searched the net, and can find nothing. You would think it's for adjustment, but with no pressure the screw turns easy, and once clamped there is no way that you could turn the adjusting screw.

Anyone?

Rich

Sorry exchange screw for nut in title.

x39
10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I just got some new Vise-Grips and the illustration on the box showed a hex key being used to adjust the screw. I don't see much benefit to the feature either, unless the person using the tool has very weak fingers, in which case they probably wouldn't be able to close the tool anyway.

Fasttrack
10-27-2009, 02:14 PM
I suppose maybe it could come in handy. I recall using a pair of pliers to turn the screw on a couple of the old beat-up welding vice-grips. Sometimes they get spatter on them or they get jammed. 'Course the pliers always worked fine before ...

'spose it's just a marketing ploy :)

websterz
10-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Just some "improvement" the Asian company that bought Irwin out thought they needed to make. Sticks in my craw!! I have about a dozen assorted AMERICAN MADE Vise Grips laying around and have never needed any damn METRIC assistance to tighten them. :mad:

gb25
10-27-2009, 02:43 PM
How about using it to loosen them. Especially when you've really had to crank the handles to get them to close.

radkins
10-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Just some "improvement" the Asian company that bought Irwin out thought they needed to make. Sticks in my craw!! I have about a dozen assorted AMERICAN MADE Vise Grips laying around and have never needed any damn METRIC assistance to tighten them. :mad:

Several months ago when I first heard they were going to China I went immediately and bought a set of Vise Grips. These are marked "made in USA" and are different than the China versions I see on the shelves now BUT they too have this feature, have not checked to see if it is metric but I suppose it is.

Rookie machinist
10-27-2009, 04:04 PM
I weld washers to the adjuster, it help when you are using the clamps one handed. Also helps when they start getting slag stuck to them.

Rich Carlstedt
10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
I assume (!) that it is to allow you to further tighten the grip AFTER the
pliers have been applied to an object

Just a guess
Rich

lazlo
10-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Several months ago when I first heard they were going to China I went immediately and bought a set of Vise Grips. These are marked "made in USA" and are different than the China versions

I did the same thing: stocked up on a bunch of Vice Grips when Irwin transferred the operation to China. Lemme guess -- the Chinese Vice Grips are the same price as the "old" Made In USA Vice Grips, right?

I think you might be able to find the Made in USA versions still on MSC, if you match the SKU number.

Nicad
10-27-2009, 06:07 PM
I think in the next year, I will buy all the Vise grips I can envisage using. (I already have a lot of redundancy), Then that will be it for my vise grip purchasing, unless a domestic maker re-emerges. This stuff has pissed me off. I tried to buy some Aussie Blundstone boots, but they are all from Thailand now. It annoys me when a brand built up with a national image just slips offshore hoping no one notices. Well I did.

x39
10-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Lemme guess -- the Chinese Vice Grips are the same price as the "old" Made In USA Vice Grips, right?
Nope. There's been a price increase since they went Chinese.

70 malibu
10-27-2009, 07:10 PM
I pick up used vise grips at yard sales, auctions, and at the flea markets. You can usually get them pretty cheap. Some may have a little rust but that doesn't bother me,,,,, I oil them up and use them.

I was at an auction a few years back and picked up 6 pairs of 11R welding grips for $5 a piece.

Between welding grips, and regular vise grips I probably have 60-70 pairs ,, most all bought used and working fine !!

lynnl
10-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm in the dark here, having not seen any new vise grips any time recently.

Are we talking about a hex head screw that's replaced the older knurled screw that's used to adjust the closure point?
...or is this something else.

(google didn't return me any revealing pictures)

gb25
10-27-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm in the dark here, having not seen any new vise grips any time recently.

Are we talking about a hex head screw that's replaced the older knurled screw that's used to adjust the closure point?
...or is this something else.

(google didn't return me any revealing pictures)

In the middle of the knurled knob there's a hex recess for an allen wrench.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7483/visegrip.jpg

wierdscience
10-27-2009, 09:37 PM
The hex is a feature they added to make a now usless product a little more useless all while charging more.F--- Irwin!

darryl
10-27-2009, 10:23 PM
I have recently bought 3 vise grips, the 8 inch long ones. Bought at liquidation world, name on them says Fuller, and it says cro mo on the jaws, etc. I took a chance on the first pair and found them to be good, so I got a couple more. I use one at work all the time and it's the real thing. Not bad for 5 bucks a pop.

I've also bought some pliers with the Rubbermaid logo on them from the same store. Found them to be good as well. 2 bucks. I bought one at first, then a few more after I found them to be equal to anything reputable.

I shot myself in the foot regarding the vise grips. I told too many people about them, then as I went back to buy a few more they were gone.

I don't care about the names, I only care that the tool is what it should be, which is properly crafted. This covers proper materials, design, fitting of parts, deburring, etc. When I find a good one, it doesn't matter if it's a Rubbermaid.

But on the hex head adjusting bolt- I'd have to say two things: one is that it may simply be a choice by the manufacturer to put a good bolt in there, which so far in my experience hex head bolts are, and secondly it would be an advantage to be able to unscrew that to release tension if you happen to have clamped them too tight.

TECHSHOP
10-27-2009, 10:27 PM
The Rubbermaid buy up of USA and UK brands has really turned a lot of good tools to crap.

A little bit ago I ordered some Vise Grip from one of the usual suppliers, and got a mix of USA and China. I will not be buying anymore "vise grips" sight unseen.

It's one thing to buy crap at Horrible Fright Price, but a don't like spending "full dollar" for a "corp profit" import.