PDA

View Full Version : check those earmuffs!!!!

andy_b
10-27-2009, 06:19 PM
no, not for noise ratings.

i headed out to my shop this afternoon to clean up two vises (i'm going to post about one shortly) and went to put on my earmuffs. in about 0.0037 seconds i felt a pinch, and about 0.002 seconds after that the burning sensation started.

it took me about another half second to realize what was going on and i tossed those earmuffs down on the bench and started looking for the biggest hammer i could find to smash something. a dang wasp thought the foam padding in the earmuffs would make a comfy spot to spend the day in my cold garage.

aside from the fact i was ready to take a flame thrower to any hint of a wasp nest just because i was so mad, now for the next month i am going to be freaking out every time i put earmuffs on wondering if a biting insect of some sort if laying in wait for me. :) thank goodness i'm not allergic to insect stings.

andy b.

beanbag
10-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Don't forget to check your shoes and glove as well

NickH
10-27-2009, 06:41 PM
I've been turning the foam around in my earmuffs each time I use them for 20 years after a ruddy great spider tried to hide in my ear :D
Nick

Alistair Hosie
10-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Wow thats not a Christian way for insects to act.:DAlistair

Tom S
10-27-2009, 07:33 PM
I used to check them just in case someone had put something inside of them.

Do unto others..... gets you every time.

andy_b
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Don't forget to check your shoes and glove as well

we used to have a cat that would barf in your shoes at night. he almost died of lead poisoning a few times. :)

andy b.

Weston Bye
10-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Never had it happen, but I am paranoid about some bug crawling up my CPAP hose. I turn it on and blow it out before putting on the mask, just in case...

Bob Farr
10-27-2009, 07:55 PM
I've been turning the foam around in my earmuffs each time I use them for 20 years after a ruddy great spider tried to hide in my ear :D
Nick

I don't mind a few spiders in the shop, but the one I found in the face mask of my paint respirator went 1/8 of a step too far. I can move pretty fast when sufficiently motivated!

larry_g
10-27-2009, 11:35 PM
For me its checking for bugs in the soda can before taking a swig. I hate to swollow bugs and bees.
lg
no neat sig line

Highpower
10-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Never had it happen, but I am paranoid about some bug crawling up my CPAP hose. I turn it on and blow it out before putting on the mask, just in case... Oh great! I've never thought about that before -- but I'm sure I will every night NOW. Gee, THANKS Weston... ;)

Back when I was a young lad, mom would dry our clothes on a line out in the back yard during warm weather. Went out there one day to get a clean pair of jeans to wear. Took them off the clothes line and carried them back in the house to change. Got one leg in, and started to stick the other leg in when I thought I felt an ice-pick being jammed into my inner thigh.... :eek:

Had those pants off in a wink of an eye, and then noticed the wasp crawling around inside. :mad:

Needless to say, all clothes received a good shaking out / beating before going into the house after that day!

KiddZimaHater
10-28-2009, 12:52 AM
...... and don't forget to check your soda can for honey bees.
I nearly swallowed one Saturday. :o

S_J_H
10-28-2009, 09:20 AM
yeah wasps can be mighty aggressive buggers when threatened. I was up around 25 feet on a ladder recently and came across a nest. Wham bam! it was an air raid on ol' Steve's face. They got me a couple of times on my cheek and ear. Not much I could do to get away that high up.:eek:

lynnl
10-28-2009, 09:54 AM
The most painful sting I ever had as a kid was once when I was stung on the ear. However I've since had other ear stings and they were NOT especially painful. I guess it just depends on the particularly spot that's stung.

BTW, the best treatment for a wasp/bee/yellow jacket/etc. sting, is to make a poultice of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer and apply that to the area. If you can do that immediately it can eliminate the pain 'toot sweet'.

andy_b
10-28-2009, 10:41 AM
The most painful sting I ever had as a kid was once when I was stung on the ear.

then you know EXACTLY how i felt. :) although one crawling on my thigh inside my pants would certainly cause some concern. that is a little too close to the family jewels for comfort.

andy b.

AD5MB
10-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I keep my earmuffs and boxing gloves in Tupperware cake boxes. Spider infested 1920s adobe; brown recluse in a boxing glove - no, thank you.

wasp sting on the ear was probably on the ear lobe. major nerve nexus.

A.K. Boomer
10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
I was riding my bike and got stung in the corner of my eye right at the tear duct, that really hurt,

I was going for a bike ride and got my cycling gloves off the cloths line and put one on and bam, right between the fingers --- went into a panic and could not get the glove off so I crushed the hell out of whatever was in there, looked at it afterwords and all I know is it was black and had little fur/hair, spider of some sort I think, hurt like hell too...

ulav8r
10-28-2009, 02:29 PM
When I was about 9-10, got stung by two bumblebees at the same time, one behind each ear. It knocked me down and I had a headache for several hours.

When I was about 16 I had a red wasp sting me on the back of my index finger. In the past red wasp stings were painful but that one reduced arthritus pains in my hand for several hours instead of stinging pain.

Pete F
10-28-2009, 02:41 PM
I got y'all beat. When I was eight, I fell on a yellowjacket nest in the woods by a lake, wearing swim trunks and no shirt. Landed in the emergency room with 300 stings. Spat out a bee (didn't sting my tongue, though). Bees in my HAIR. Overnight stay in the hospital, followed by three years of shots to desensitize me to bee venom.

Got a new GI Joe out of the deal, though, so it wasn't all bad.

-Pete

Evan
10-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Our talking dog, Snoopy, has a very vivid imagination. This is clear from the way he deals with new things and from how he reacts to particular events.

Recently a large fly, probably a horsefly, made it into the house. When Snoopy noticed it he ran from the room almost in a panic. It took us a minute to even figure out what his problem was. But, when the "buzzer" flew in his direction he dived for cover somewhere else each time. All we can figure is he must have snapped at some sort of stinging insect and gotten stung, perhaps on the mouth or tounge. He is a very quick study and only needs to be told once for many things. He is also very good at making associations between similar objects based on properties so now he is very careful to avoid anything that flies and buzzes.

I have been considering buying one of those pocket model RC helicopters.....

:D:eek:

websterz
10-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Never had it happen, but I am paranoid about some bug crawling up my CPAP hose. I turn it on and blow it out before putting on the mask, just in case...

I do the exact same thing...glad I'm not alone. :D HOSEHEADS UNITE!!

kc5ezc
10-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Around here we have: red wasps, other wasps and bees, stinging scorpions, fiddle back spiders, ticks, chiggers and other assorted things that buzz, sting and bite. You learn real early in life to check any clothing that has been on the ground or close to the ground. I had not thought about the hearing protection. Will check it out before cutting wood.
We drink diet soda (pop/coke) instear of the sweetened ones. Why? because the bugs don't care for them and will not get in them.
I know what you mean about the hose on the cpap machine. I don't use one now, but do use O2 at night with a cannula. Much smaller hose, but I will start checking. Thanks for the info.

lynnl
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
You have my sympathy Pete, tho I guess a little belated now.
Yellow jackets are the absolute worst. I got into a nest a few years back, wearing shorts and a tight fitting tee shirt. I only counted 28 stings, not even close to 300, but still more than sufficient.

That's when I learned about the Adolph's meat tenderizer, from a pharmacist following those stings. But by that time about an hour had elapsed, so he wasn't sure it would do much good at that point.

Yep, yellow jacket stings, the gift that keeps on giving. Hurts for 3 or 4 days, then itches for 3 or 4 more.

spope14
10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
In NH we have these ground wasps that come into cars and such. Sat in the seat, got on the main drag of the city, and felt a little sting on leg. Before I could figure it out, hit me four times on the leg and three on the hand. I dug in the area where they live this past spring very early, the larve were thick. Dug out sod, then dug a foot deep and put in the diazianon substitute.

Got into my shed to get out the riding mower. Kicked it on, started the blade BEFORE getting to the lawn, saw about ten of those big old white faced wasps surface and come looking for fresh meat. One got me, the others got sprayed after I calmed down. It was just the vibrations from the driveway into the yard and the holes that got them going.

Opened my lathe tool cabinet this summer, got hit twice in the hand while reaching for a tool.

I also cover my lathe with a plastic cover, I always shake it out now immediately after taking it off and before putting it on.

It's almost winter now...DIE you buggers....DIE

Alistair Hosie
10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
In my opinion a wasp sting is far more painful than a bee's sting do you agree?Alistair

Mcgyver
10-28-2009, 06:02 PM

i thought that said CRAP hose and had to turn away.

middle of one night, I reach over half asleep for a gulp of water from the beside table.....pretty dark but something catches my eye and flick on the light, i almost put one of the biggest bloody spider I've seen into my mouth. now there's a bottle of water beside my bed. that's my frightful insect story

Pete F
10-28-2009, 06:26 PM
In my opinion a wasp sting is far more painful than a bee's sting do you agree?Alistair

I think so too. Especially when they do it multiple times. Those big black ones are the worst. At least bees only sting once. Then they DIE!!!

-Pete

Highpower
10-28-2009, 06:45 PM
AH: I'll go along with that...

I've had two other encounters with those devil yellow-jackets in the past as well. A cousin and I were out walking an old dirt farm road checking many brush piles along the sides of the road. Early fall season, back when we were about 13 - 14 years old. We were hunting WABBITS! heheheheheheheh.......

All of a sudden my right foot disappears into an unseen hole in the ground by the old timber fence line. What the....?
I pulled my foot out of the hole, and here they come!! :eek:
Threw down my shotgun and did a Forrest Gump run. My Uncle had to go back and get the gun - I wanted no part of it.
It wasn't 300 stings (more like 50) but it felt like 3000! Head, neck, face and arms -- what a mess. Got me out of school for a week though.

About five years ago we seemed to have an unusual amount of wasp activity around the house and I discovered why. I found a nest buried in the layers of my firewood rack out in the back yard. Only this time it was my turn. I waited until early evening when they were settling down for the night. I went out and (carefully) started removing some of the upper layers of firewood from the rack until I could see part of the nest.

Strung out a long extension cord to the wood pile and I set a large electric "bug zapper" with the black lights on top of the pile. Walked back to the house for some distance and plugged in the zapper. I picked up a handful of rocks and started lobbing them into the firewood. Then it was ON! The more wasps that got zapped, the madder they got, and the faster they came out to attack the "intruder". It was a sight to see. (From a safe distance that is...) The neighbors could hear me cheering them on. "YEAH, come out and GIT SOME!!!" :D

The remaining stragglers and stunned survivors were then invited to a carb-cleaner and propane torch barbecue.
When it was finally over I removed the top layer of wood and found the rest of the 3ft x 2ft nest - which also got Q'ed....

Sweet, sweet revenge. ;) :p

Evan
10-28-2009, 08:53 PM
A few summers ago we noticed we had a lot of wasps in the yard so it was time to find the nest. We looked everywhere, to no avail. Finally, near dusk we discovered it. They had colonized the underside of one of our doghouses, by the thousands. This posed a real problem. How to remove the nest without getting killed? Poison was out of the question, it being a doghouse. I don't like poison anyway. I finally hit on the answer.

I have an electric leaf vacuum/blower. I removed the bag and put the end of the vacuum attachment right by the entrance hole of the nest, quietly and carefully. I strung out a 100 foot extension cord and retreated that distance. I plugged in the cord and leaf sucker sprang to life. The wasps came boiling out of the nest only to be inhaled by the vacuum, shredded in the impeller and spit out in a fine haze of wasp parts. As it was evening it also captured all the wasps returning to the nest as well. After about one hour no more wasps were observed. The ground at the exhaust end of the vac had a peculiar look and smell. This technique has a 100% kill rate and as I was 100 feet away they were not able to identify the source of their trouble. Worked like a charm.

Weston Bye
10-28-2009, 09:00 PM
I ruined my wife's houshold vacuum cleaner running a nest of wasps through the impeller. Stunk the vac up so bad I had to throw it away and buy her a new one.

TECHSHOP
10-28-2009, 09:52 PM
One night while sleeping I was stung by a scorpion on my ear!

boslab
10-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Thank the lord it wasnt your jock strap, now that would sting.
i get loads of queens in my loft so getting the Christmas decorations down is always interesting, takes the buggers bout 20 mins to wake up an sting the **** out of me.
mark

Bill736
10-28-2009, 10:35 PM
This whole thread is " off topic" , but why should I be the one to suffer ? Here's my contribution. When I was an impressionable youth of 5 years, I watched as my mom poked a stick into an underground hornets nest.
Predictably, the hornets swarmed out by the hundreds, and flew right up under mom's dress. Mom started dancing and screaming ( at that point I wasn't quite sure what was going on) , lifting her dress, and then ran into the basement door. She later reported that some of the hornets had managed to get up under her girdle ( this was 1953) , and stung her in very sensitive places. I well recall standing there in awe as mom disappeared screaming into the basement , and it occured to this 5 year old that poking a stick into a hole in the ground certainly had risks. To tie this all together, the basement is where my dad had his home machine shop .

Arcane
10-28-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm not making this up, it was verified by the people working on site with him at the time. Years ago an old foreman of mine was out on a transmission line doing maintenance and needed to take a leak. He wandered off a ways and was merrily watering the lillies when a bee landed on his knob. He felt that and tried to shake it off, which only aggravated the bee...Yep! It stung him!

steve45
10-29-2009, 12:23 AM
We've had a lot of Black Widow spiders this year. I have to be careful every time I move my sawhorses, or table mounted miter saw, etc. It's not unusual to find one nesting underneath where the legs mount.

motorcyclemac
10-29-2009, 12:46 AM
THIS sort of crappola is why I store my ear muffs, respirator filter mask, and motorcycle helmets in ziplock bags when not in use.

Man...just reading this makes me cringe...some of the wasp sting stories....whew!

Stung on the knob... sheesh!

Cheers
Mac.

Highpower
10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm not making this up, it was verified by the people working on site with him at the time. Years ago an old foreman of mine was out on a transmission line doing maintenance and needed to take a leak. He wandered off a ways and was merrily watering the lillies when a bee landed on his knob. He felt that and tried to shake it off, which only aggravated the bee...Yep! It stung him! LOL! Slightly more on machine topic:

Years ago I was working in a "chain store" automotive service department and witnessed something I'll never understand, to this day! One of the techs had a car on the lift, cutting off the exhaust system overhead with the O/A torch. And when I say "overhead" I MEAN "over his head"! :eek:

He was leaning backwards to get a better view of what he was doing, without taking a STEP backwards. About that time a big marble sized piece of red hot slag dripped from the bottom of the cut he was making and hit him in the stomach. Then it proceeded to roll down his shirt and into the front of his pants.

He was out from under the car, dropped trou and his boxers, and was feverishly trying to dig out the molten metal that had embedded itself in that "special place." All in full view of a dozen customers and other shoppers of course.... :o

Then there was the time when the wife and I decided to go have a picnic at one of the local parks one summer. As we sat at our picnic table setting out the food for our lunch, naturally an interested honey bee came by to check out the spread. As the bee was buzzing around my head I instinctively swatted at it trying to shoo it away. Unfortunately I smacked it and it went straight across the table and hit the wife in the upper eyelid - and she instinctively flinched and closed her eye trapping the bee there.

Yup.... you guessed it! Had to take her to the hospital for treatment and try to explain to hospital staff (and her parents) a thousand times how she got the monstrous black eye..... :(

That's my last sting story -- I promise. :D

brian Rupnow
10-29-2009, 01:05 PM
As many of you probably know, I have been a life long drag racer and builder of hotrods. I built the car in this picture about 22 years ago. It is a 1931 Desoto coupe, chopped 3", channeled 6" and powered by a small block Chev 327" engine.---Now granted, it looks really great. The top of the car came up to my armpit when I was standing beside it, and I'm only 5'-7". However, this severely chopped and channeled stance meant that there was no room for a seat cushion under your butt. In order to give a bit of comfort, I actually dropped the floor pan 3" in the seating area and put in a foam cushion. This meant that you actually set with your arse in a bit of a "well" with your legs straight out along the floor boards. One day in mid summer, my good wife and I were cruising down highway #11 south of Barrie, at about 70 MPH, with the windows down. when a bumble bee roughly the size of a crow hit the doorpost right beside my head, then tumbled into my crotch!!!! I looked down, and sure enough that bugger was right beside the family jewels, still buzzing and thrashing, and I could see his stinger darting in and out!!! Did ya ever try to get your arse up out of a hole, off a cushion, steer a car, stop a car, not wreck a car, and leap out of a car all at the same time??? It didn't get me, but it damned near scared my wife to death, because she couldn't see what happened. She thought I must be having a fit or something.----Brian
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/31DESOTOREAR010.jpg