PDA

View Full Version : Kennametal tools?

Alistair Hosie
10-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Can anyone tell me how good is the quality of kennamatal tools for the lathe I purchased a few recently or my son did for my christmas and I am dying to try them they seem to be well made,but I welcome your comments.Alistair

MrSleepy
10-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I like them , I've got quite a few from an auction sale...from lathe tools to milling tools and they all seem good quality...but I also like the Israeli Iscar and Taegutec gear..

Rob

tattoomike68
10-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I have used them for years and find they kick butt.
They are worth the extra cost if you have tough jobs like eating through flame cuts and welds. About twice the tool life as the cheapo stuff.

Alistair Hosie
10-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I have heard the name there is no point buying the cheap ones I bought a set of indexable carbide holders and cutters and the carbide was like cheese it kept crumbling it was just so soft ,the kennametal seems to have a good name so I will be very pleased I am sure.thanks guys Alistair

lazlo
10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Kennametal lathe tool holders and facemills are extremely well-made.

I also like Sandvik's holders.

motorworks
10-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Great Tools and excellent service.
Usually next day delivery for me here....
and I usually can not get most things for 2-3 days by most
other suppliers.(and that's by air)
One time I placed an order with Kennametal via the net
i.e. On line ordering.
They did not arrive the next day as usually...
Got a call and was told that there was no stock in North America, but
the inserts were being dropped shipped from Germany
I was thinking about a week to the east coast of Canada
2 days after the on line order I had the inserts. 10.00 extra freight
WoW!! :)

wierdscience
10-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Kennametal is tops they make more chips per dollar spent than any other insert IMHO.

Ken_Shea
10-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Agreed, Kennametal is top shelf, no need to worry over their quality.

exkenna
10-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Very consistent quality but IMO not what they used to be. Some product groups such as CAT flange tooling comes from India, as well as some of the Hertel branded stuff. They now have a plant in China (who doesn't) and recently sold off the Cleveland/Putnam/Chicago Latrobe/Vermont Tap & Die round tool divisions to the Chinese, who are almost certain to close the four North American plants affecting 350 workers.

They seem to be in the outsourcing mode so no telling what's actually in the Kennametal branded box any more. Not dogging them mind you, it's just not the company I used to know.

lazlo
10-27-2009, 11:03 PM
[Kennametal] recently sold off the Cleveland/Putnam/Chicago Latrobe/Vermont Tap & Die round tool divisions to the Chinese, who are almost certain to close the four North American plants affecting 350 workers.

:eek: What?! Holy Cow, I need to stock up on drills and reamers now too! :mad:

exkenna
10-27-2009, 11:19 PM
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php/kennametal-sells-out-round-186688.html

Ken_Shea
10-27-2009, 11:38 PM
And so goes another...... it seems :(

Alistair Hosie
10-28-2009, 12:02 PM
What a pity.I wonder if the quality will remain as good when they are no longer made in the US?Alistair

lazlo
10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
What a pity.I wonder if the quality will remain as good when they are no longer made in the US?Alistair

Has any tool maintained it's quality when it was outsourced to China?

Remember when Record went out of business, and the orange Record vises started showing up from China?

Steve Seebold
10-28-2009, 01:00 PM
about 30 years ago I worked in a shop where the foreman wanted to use only Valenite. I was running a particular job on a lathe with a Valenite VN8 insert and I was getting about 5 parts per corner on the insert. I am a Kennametal user, so I told the foreman if he would get me the inserts I wanted and they didn't work, I would pay for them. I got one Kennametal insert the next day and by the end of the day I had run 55 parts on the first corner of the first insert. The grade was KC850. Kennametal is a little more expensive than the others, but you get what you pay for.

PixMan
10-28-2009, 01:12 PM
about 30 years ago I worked in a shop where the foreman wanted to use only Valenite. I was running a particular job on a lathe with a Valenite VN8 insert and I was getting about 5 parts per corner on the insert. I am a Kennametal user, so I told the foreman if he would get me the inserts I wanted and they didn't work, I would pay for them. I got one Kennametal insert the next day and by the end of the day I had run 55 parts on the first corner of the first insert. The grade was KC850. Kennametal is a little more expensive than the others, but you get what you pay for.

A perfect example of two grades competing against each other, when one of them is the completely wrong tool for the application. It's not that one manufacturer is better than the other, it's all about matching the grade to the material and desired cutting speed, then the chipbreaker to the depth of cut and feed rate.

Just as it was 30 years ago, there is no one maker that produces superior products for all applications.

lazlo
10-28-2009, 01:45 PM
If you watch that Sandvik video I posted, making inserts is largely an automated process. Even the post-sinter grinding (for ground inserts) is automated. You basically only need a human to carry the pressed insert blanks to the oven, then to the CVD machine, and then the CNC grinder.

I sure hope that Kennametal and Sandvik keep that native...

PixMan
10-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Both of those companies make inserts here, but they (and Valenite) also source from their global facilities. Sadly, until they're in your hand you may not be sure where the inserts might be coming from.

lazlo
10-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Sadly, until they're in your hand you may not be sure where the inserts might be coming from.

Honestly, I don't really care where they're made, as long as they maintain the quality. As others have pointed out, there's light-years of difference between a good commercial insert (Kennametal, Mitsubishi, Sandvik, etc) and the no-name inserts.