PDA

View Full Version : Need a little Machine help for returning Iraq Vet

JoeFin
10-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Hi Everyone

Kind of a stretch of a request but no one is obligated one way or the other.

I'm helping the brother of an Iraq vet due to return home in early November. His brother in Warfordsburg PA is attempting to finish building a motorcycle for his brother and is having a hell of time with some mix/matched parts and needs a little help from some one to machine the correct sized stem for the forks on the bike.

I've taken on as much as I can handle as I'll be machining a set of forward controls this week end and hopefully have them out first thing monday morning.

Any interested parties can PM me for his contact info or see the thread here

http://www.chopperweb.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27799

Thank You

JoeFin
10-30-2009, 08:40 PM
No takers for helping out a returning Vet ?

By the number of faded out "I Support the Troops" ribons we see on cars and trucks going down the road I would have thought different.

Could be a nice project for some one to put their HSM lathe through her paces and earn a little Fame and Glory at the same time. Turns out "IronWorks Magazine" is picking up the story

Here is the Brake Stay I put together for the build

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa83/Freakindj/Brake-Stay006.jpg

His unit crest in Iraq incorporated a little "Playboy Logo" wearing dogtags so I threw it in the mix

MTNGUN
10-30-2009, 11:10 PM
JoeFin,
I am not clear what you are asking for, technically speaking, when you say "machine a correct sized stem." The ChopperWeb thread is 16-17 pages long with many attachments -- uh, I'm not going to read through that.

Are you asking for someone to DESIGN this part ? There are a handful of bike nuts on this forum but the rest of us are just machinists, not bike designers.

Are you asking for someone to supply the materials for this part ? If so, it would be nice to know what materials are required.

Or does the design and materlal already exist, and you just need it machined ? In that case, many of our forum members might be capable of doing that.

Forum members often post requests for help, and usually they get a response. However, you are asking us to help someone who is not "one of us" and that's a little different.

You seem to imply that vets are special people who deserve special treatment. How did that work after Vietnam ?

I didn't spit on the Vietnam vets because most of them were either drafted or else volunteered only because they were about to get drafted. I don't blame soldiers who are forced into a war by a draft.

On the other hand, today there is no draft and soldiers have simply volunteered to participate in a war that the majority of Americans feel is wrong. Some of the volunteers are very poor people who do it as a matter of economic survival, and I can understand that. However most volunteers believe in the war and in the right-wing politics behind the war. These politically motivated volunteers make the illegal and immoral war possible. For that reason, I do feel that today's soldiers share the blame for the war. I don't hate them, and I don't spit on them, but I sure don't put them on a pedestal.

You may not care about my political opinion but you were the one who threw politics into the equation. Forum members ask for assistance all the time without claiming that they deserve special consideration their military service.

v860rich
10-30-2009, 11:21 PM
MTNGUN said
You seem to imply that vets are special people who deserve special treatment. How did that work after Vietnam ?

I didn't spit on the Vietnam vets because most of them were either drafted or else volunteered only because they were about to get drafted. I don't blame soldiers who are forced into a war by a draft.

On the other hand, today there is no draft and soldiers have simply volunteered to participate in a war that the majority of Americans feel is wrong. Some of the volunteers are very poor people who do it as a matter of economic survival, and I can understand that. However most volunteers believe in the war and in the right-wing politics behind the war. These politically motivated volunteers make the illegal and immoral war possible. For that reason, I do feel that today's soldiers share the blame for the war. I don't hate them, and I don't spit on them, but I sure don't put them on a pedestal.

You may not care about my political opinion but you were the one who threw politics into the equation. Forum members ask for assistance all the time without claiming that they deserve special consideration their military service
__________________________________________________ _______________

Boy have I been thinking this exact same thing, thanks for putting this into a great post.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Greg Menke
10-30-2009, 11:23 PM
We have a vet back from Iraq as a part-time intern, ex-combat infantry, he got messed up over there but has all his limbs and is pulling himself together for his discharge and getting on with his life. Its not as if guys like that can just leave what they experienced like it was quitting a job. Some support and encouragement is certainly due them, regardless of one's opinion of the why's and how's.

Greg

JoeFin
10-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Please please please... lets not turn this thread into an Iraq War Right or Wrong discussion

For what ever his reasons why and when he joined I have no idea, I just know when I got back from my stent in the service however many years ago, the first thing I did was buy a motorcycle and ride the crap out of it. It really helped that sense of anxiousness and "not fitting in" or what ever it was

MTNGUN - in answer to your question

He is thinking the original can be turned down to fit. He will provide all the deminsions for anyone who is interested

tattoomike68
10-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I wish the snotty left wingers would spit on our troops so we could see them get thier punk little faces slapped.

JoeFin
10-31-2009, 12:01 AM
I wish the snotty left wingers would spit on our troops so we could see them get thier punk little faces slapped.

Please please please... lets not turn this thread into an Iraq War Right or Wrong discussion

steve45
10-31-2009, 01:26 AM
... today there is no draft and soldiers have simply volunteered to participate in a war that the majority of Americans feel is wrong. Some of the volunteers are very poor people who do it as a matter of economic survival, and I can understand that. However most volunteers believe in the war and in the right-wing politics behind the war. These politically motivated volunteers make the illegal and immoral war possible. For that reason, I do feel that today's soldiers share the blame for the war. I don't hate them, and I don't spit on them, but I sure don't put them on a pedestal.

You may not care about my political opinion but you were the one who threw politics into the equation. Forum members ask for assistance all the time without claiming that they deserve special consideration their military service.
Congratulations, MTNGUN, that's about the most disgusting, most hateful post I've ever read here. Perhaps you haven't spit on them literally, but you have certainly spit on them in a verbal fashion.

chief
10-31-2009, 01:34 AM
MTNGUN:
f**K YOU!! You are an arrogant leftwing MORON! Had you attempted to try and spit on me all those years ago I would have beaten you to a bloody pulp.

ENCM US. NAVY RET. (SW/SWCC)
1968-2000

doctor demo
10-31-2009, 02:35 AM

I believe that vetrans are special people and that they should be honored.
It makes no difference wether they were drafted or signed up willingly or if they saw combat or changed tires at fort podunk. They still served Our country.

I also believe that when people stop joining the armed forces on a volunteer basis that the draft will be back.

I was not drafted and I did not join the military and I do not agree with the politics that have our military all over the world doing all the sh!t jobs they are doing....but You can't blame the soldiers ,they are doing what they are told to the best of their abilities.

The '' illegal and immoral war'' is not the fault of the volunteer soldier it is the fault of the voters and the fu**ed up politicians.

Vetrans have kept us from having to learn a new language more than once.

Steve

Fasttrack
10-31-2009, 04:48 AM

<Cough> <Cough>

So - Steve, Mike, Greg, Chief, Doc Demo, are any of you willing to put your money where your mouth is and help out a bit? ;) :)

Personally, I would try to help regardless of service but I am too often too far away from my shop to help. More importantly, I am uncomfortable with just turning down the existing material. That's not something you eyeball and "guess-timate". If I didn't know what it was for, I wouldn't have a problem doing it. Knowing that it is an important (very!) structural component and I'm supposed to reduce its strength without any real engineering going into the equation ... well ... there is a moral dilema there.

wbleeker
10-31-2009, 06:05 AM
I totally with Doc Demo, as an American born Australian, with a Canadian born American mother and a Dutch born father, I have heard a lot about the atrocities of war etc, my fathers family hid Jews in their house in Holland, and as a youngster I heard the stories about the Germans searching the houses etc, my grandfather was a member of the Dutch underground. And i have also had drummed into me something from Abraham Lincoln, about a government by the people, for the people and of the people! please support one of your own! It is not his fault he has been in Iraq, he has been put there by your government!
Will
I would help but I am genuinely too far away

Peter.
10-31-2009, 06:14 AM
If you're worried about weakening the stem you can machine the yoke to fit. Perhaps it needs only machining a little or the length shortened. Sure there have been horror stories (one on here as I recall) of re-worked stems breaking but it's by no means a common thing and there's plenty of factory stuff that broke without initiating a factory recall. There are a lot of bikes out there with modified stems.

Joefin give some details or a drawing of what it is you need.

JoeFin
10-31-2009, 10:35 AM
If you're worried about weakening the stem you can machine the yoke to fit. Perhaps it needs only machining a little or the length shortened. Sure there have been horror stories (one on here as I recall) of re-worked stems breaking but it's by no means a common thing and there's plenty of factory stuff that broke without initiating a factory recall. There are a lot of bikes out there with modified stems.

Joefin give some details or a drawing of what it is you need.

The problem arose because he is using parts from different model years of the sportser. So that is the reason for the size varience. Once he has the exact dimensions (including modified bearing cups) he will forward them

The other thought I had was to run a ream down the yoke

deltaenterprizes
10-31-2009, 03:04 PM
How much metal do you think needs to be removed? I have a special place in my heart for military vets I have been helped a lot by many of them. If you can send pics that would be great.

Rustybolt
10-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Show me what needs to be done.

38_Cal
10-31-2009, 04:06 PM
MTNGUN:
f**K YOU!! You are an arrogant leftwing MORON! Had you attempted to try and spit on me all those years ago I would have beaten you to a bloody pulp.

ENCM US. NAVY RET. (SW/SWCC)
1968-2000

Well, Master Chief, looks like we joined Uncle Sam's Nuclear Powered Canoe Club the same year, but I got out in '72 as a PN2. I can remember going home on leave back in the days when you had to travel in uniform to get the military discount, and "almost" getting into it at both the LA and SF airports with a$$wipes who would pick on servicemen rather than their Democrap party leaders. (Good thing that the local cops were there to hustle the freaks away!) On the other hand, I can also remember several members of the San Diego Jewish community who opened up their homes to me at Passover and other holy days...but most of them were former service members. :D (One was a Marine LT, wounded on Guadalcanal, another was a GM2 in charge of a deck gun on a merchant ship during WWII.)

Forgot to mention, two of my sons are Vets...a Marine Infantryman who was in combat in Iraq and an Army Medic with service in Korea.

The Artful Bodger
10-31-2009, 04:29 PM
I hung up my uniform for the last time back in the 60's and I neither expect nor demand any special priviledges for having worn it, I expect most other servicemen feel the same way, maybe there are some exceptions.

Peter N
10-31-2009, 05:47 PM
I think Joe posted a simple request, and I admire him for trying to keep it on track.
Either help or don't. but leave the rest out of it (both sides).

Peter

John Stevenson
10-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Joe,

Well leaving the politics / right wing / left wing and the war out of it I'd help but for two reasons.
One is that I'm too far away and secondly think what working on a Hardly Dangerous would do to my street cred .

Lucas electrical systems, mopeds and supermarket trolleys are fine but a Hardly ?? :rolleyes:

JoeFin
10-31-2009, 06:09 PM
"street cred" - I like it

Black_Moons
10-31-2009, 06:12 PM
As much as id love to flood this space with many highly opinionated opinions, I do believe we should try and keep this thread civil as this REALLY isent the place to be attacking people, reguardless who they are. Im sure we can all find some hot politics forum to rant in about it if we must.

JoeFin
11-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Was anyone able to help him out with the stem for the forks?

Here are the Forward Controls I'm sending out

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa83/Freakindj/Forward-4004.jpg

George Bulliss
11-10-2009, 09:20 AM
This isnít the forum, and this isnít the thread, for posting your political opinions. Any more posts along those lines in this thread will be immediately deleted.

Nice looking job on the controls Joe.

George