PDA

View Full Version : Starting them young

spkrman15
10-30-2009, 09:25 AM
This is my youngest helping me in the shop.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/Spkrman15/IMG_1454.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/Spkrman15/IMG_1455.jpg
She takes the nut off the bolt, removes all the parts and then puts them back again. She can do that for 5-10mins none stop. She is 2.5 yrs old

Rob :)

hardtail
10-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Great pix.......smile......those are precious times at the young ages.......those are some large bolts??????

My boy used to enjoy making pyramids and towers with them hopefully not damaging the threads........LOL

rockrat
10-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Thats what I need. My 1+yo little rocky loves to look around the shop.

I was cutting some metal disks about 0.25 thick the other day and had one in my hand. He reached for it so I quickly deburred it, wiped it off with a clean rag and handed it to him. He stared at it for about 2 min, slowly turning it over in his hands. Funny how they are so curious.

rock~

John Stevenson
10-30-2009, 10:50 AM
At the shows we cut loco wheels on the KX3 CNC mill just for something to do.
It gets boring for us but not the punters as no one stands there long enough to watch the whole operation.
They just like to see them cutting metal and not air cutting.

The loco wheel is about 85mm in diameter, 3-1/2" ? and 5/16" thick, they have no tread on them just the detail work is done as they are not needed for anything unless I was building a 4 - 97 -108 - 4 loco :D

At one time we just threw these into a box but now we wait and watch and if any kids show an interest, and you can spot them, we give them a loco wheel, never know, could be a future customer :D

Circlip
10-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Surprised you can get away with that one John, Bloody P/C police an all that.

Regards Ian.

John Stevenson
10-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Sorry Ian not with you ? Giving the wheel away ?

Circlip
10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
No, Talkin to Kids, all the hoo ha. Sad state of affairs, have you been Vetted to be allowed to talk to them? An this ISN'T a reflection on you John.

An I don't know if it's me being extra careful, but sticking a heavy vise on a wobbly plastic crate for a kiddie to play with ????? Tother day, an "Experienced" guy showed us the results of using a screw jack to lift a lathe with??

Try explaining that one at the ER.

Regards Ian.

Richard86
10-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Wobbly plastic crate? I've use them milk crates as step stools for years, an I'm 260.. It appears, that crates been stood on a time or two. I don't think a 30 lb vice is gonna make it collapse. And it doesn't look like that little girl is doin a lot of heavy yanking on it. And if she does get it pulled off, you can bet she will be that much smarter than the neighbor kid whose parked in front of the TV watching Sponge Bill.
Keep up the good work Rob

There I feel better, have a lovely day
Rich

Highpower
10-30-2009, 11:42 AM
An I don't know if it's me being extra careful, but sticking a heavy vise on a wobbly plastic crate for a kiddie to play with ????? That was my first thought too. :eek:

Bill in Ky
10-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Great pictures and wonderful memories!

Alistair Hosie
10-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey Rob I hope your paying her a womans wage:D after all she's doing a fine job. Alistair

Black_Moons
10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Yea come on you would'nt work on a plastic crate! shes old enough for her own (Securely bolted or weighed down by all your extra heavy goodies on the bottom shelf) workbench! :)

More humian work conditions for child labour!! (pickets outside spkrman's house)

Don't forget to find some glasses for her and that hammer. They arnt very strong yet but impacts are impacts and could send something flying. and its a good thing to get them used to at an early age.

Plus, adults love to blow dust outta the way.. Usally right into thier eyes..
Err did I say adults? sorry I meant teenagers err sorry I mean kids err ok I mean everyone :)

dockrat
10-30-2009, 01:51 PM
The loco wheel is about 85mm in diameter, 3-1/2" ? and 5/16" thick, they have no tread on them just the detail work is done as they are not needed for anything unless I was building a 4 - 97 -108 - 4 loco :D

Hmmmmm am I missing sumpin John or are ya running a third rail??? 97 just don't compute. LOL:D

Alguy
10-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Nice pics you will have even better memories in years to come.

John Stevenson
10-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Hmmmmm am I missing sumpin John or are ya running a third rail??? 97 just don't compute. LOL:D

Right, looks like we gave too many away :D

Peter.
10-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Nice pics you will have even better memories in years to come.

And something to embarrass her with at her 21st :D

spkrman15
10-30-2009, 11:29 PM
OK,

I have been looking for safety glasses and gloves for her, and my other daughter. They love driving in nails. They are not easy to find, even harder to explain what they are for.

"Yeah i need some glasses for my 2 yr and 4 yr old so they can work in the garage" Yup Daddy of the year award coming my way. Alot of people don't get it.

As for the vice, i have the same concerns. I am never far and i want to teach them (my girls) that tools in the garage are dagerous and should be treated with respect.

The milk crate is pretty strong and has a large surface area so even if she was to push on it, it could roll 90 before it was to fall on the floor.

And guys you are correct. They are awesome memories and i wanted to share them with those that have the same intrests as me :)

Thank-you all for your kind words.

wierdscience
10-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Cute as can be,better watch out though,before long you may have to wait inline to use your B-port:)

Circlip
10-31-2009, 03:06 AM
No intention to pee on your parade Rob but we both know that sh*t happens and in the event of a "Happening" you would NEVER forgive YOURSELF let alone the sweet young thing you married turning into a Fewkin Banshee if you managed to let one of her brood injure itself.

As a matter of interest, wife saw picture and didn't make a muff, she belives in letting the little buggers graze their knees. :D

Regards Ian.

darryl
10-31-2009, 04:57 AM
That was me a long time ago. The look on her face, especially in the second picture, seems to me that she's intently absorbing something- put some other things out for her to 'find'- safe things of course.

fredf
10-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Rob
not sure where you are located, but have seen child safetys at I think it was woodcraft. looking on their website, however -- nada

check http://www.google.com/#hl=en&ei=bMnsSqeVGMmGlAfR9PX_BA&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CBYQBSgA&q=child%27s+safety+glasses&spell=1&fp=b8148470ea1f7ec2

OK,

I have been looking for safety glasses and gloves for her, and my other daughter. They love driving in nails. They are not easy to find, even harder to explain what they are for.

38_Cal
10-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Silencio used to make kids-sized shooting (safety) glasses and ear muffs that came in a combo pak. Might want to have your local gunshop check on them.

lwbates
10-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Plastic crate? In my shop these are known as "precision painting parallels".

jihe
11-01-2009, 06:49 AM
I have been looking for safety glasses and gloves for her, and my other daughter.
These are popular here in Sweden:
http://www.peltor.se/int/Product.asp?PageNumber=154&ProductCategory_Id=56&Product_Id=73

They have some kind of smaller spectacles as well, but they may be big for smaller children I guess:
http://www.peltor.se/int/Product.asp?PageNumber=157&ProductCategory_Id=62&Product_Id=207

loose nut
11-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Has she got her union card yet, you don't want the local rep down on you for use illegal labor.

spkrman15
11-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Loose nut

Too funny :)

She spent all morning crying to go into the garage. I had some grinding to do, so she had to wait. Finally my wife came and got me.

"She has been crying for 30 mins. Take her out!"

I have created a monster!!