PDA

View Full Version : Mach 2 Questions?

madman
10-31-2009, 05:34 PM
I bought a taig CNC Mill. I finally got around to running it? Well to make it short i cant figure it out> Firstly i cannot figure out how to get it to go home>>> I punch in G00 G91 G28 X0 Y0 Z0 then where is the damn eob for ?? on a keyboard laptop>man im frustrasted. I have a manual that Dave Cofer gave me. But me and my buddy drinking beer couldnt find the main stuff like HOw to home it reference it to zero> Man im pissed off. Why dont they have these basic things written down for dinks like me to see and follow the instructions. ? I figure if i can home it reference zero at homes do MDI (manual data input) and load a program im rocking so far all its done is piss me off? Any himts tips or helpfull anecdotes are greatly appreciated. tyhanx Mike cnc mad

SGW
10-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Do you really have Mach2? It's up to Mach3.-something now.

Have you looked at www.machsupport.com ?

John Stevenson
10-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Mach 2 or Mach 3 ?

Mach 2 is old hat and not used much now.

I'll try anyway. the machine will only home if it has limit switches fitted and set up as limit / home switches.
If no switches fitted [ probably on a small machine like a taig ] then wherever you zero the axis is now home.

madman
10-31-2009, 06:13 PM
I have been trying to zero the axis but i cant get it too work. ? I used to run cnc for a while but never had a thing like this. I do like it but its frustrating me .I looked for limit switches but none? Whats the best way to set it up? should i get limit switches. I dont want it to become too painfull. I m used to cnc machines that i just MDI program(cant get the mdi on mach 2 to work???) and then i can home it through that mdi feature no problem, I still know gcode a bit it seems. Usually i will power up machine, then ,, G code into MDI (manual Data Inp[ut) (I looked for an hour on the mach 2 instructions what **** it is nothing i could find or my buddy ) then i input G00G91G28X0Y0Z0 eob input start well i cant find the eob on the damn laptiop. Oh yeah learning curve LOL Thanx all Mike

madman
10-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah I got mach 2 is it so bad you need mach 3>??? I sure cant understand the **** instruction book, I cant believe they made such a crap ola set of instructions. Like One you gotta know how to getm machine to reference home then orifgin zero home after that whats so hard? MDI and write g code programs and there you go BUT i9 cant get **** too work neither can my friend and we both have cnc background, But never ever worked on a mini mill like a taig with mach 2 thanx all .

SGW
10-31-2009, 06:47 PM
How old is your manual? Mach2 - vintage? If so, get the latest install/config manual from www.machsupport.com . It was heavily revised back in January or so. And be prepared to take the time to READ it and THINK about it.

John Stevenson
10-31-2009, 06:48 PM
i cant find the eob on the damn laptiop. Oh yeah learning curve LOL Thanx all Mike

Laptop ?????

Forget it and get a cheap PC

Sparky_NY
10-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Laptop ?????

Forget it and get a cheap PC

Although laptops are generally not recommended, some work very well. The problem is not all do. I have been running my mill under mach on a hp laptop for the last couple years and it puts out a much nicer pulse train than the desktop I used to use, and fewer other problems.

Is the laptop in question the one that ran the lathe for its prior owner? It may be a proven setup. Otherwise, I agree with John's advice, ditch it for a desktop machine, why look for trouble.

toolmaker76
10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
This may be the advise of a rube as I have not been doing CNC all that long- it looks like that line should be two separate commands.

You would want to take the Z axis home first, once that is completed, then take x and y home. The machine may be programmed as a safety issue; once Z is home it can't collide with anything in x and y.

May have nothing to do with anything, but some of those machines can be glitchy over stuff like that.

madman
11-08-2009, 01:26 AM
I think i just ended up buying a piece of sh.. Feel like taking it to the gun range

madman
11-17-2009, 11:51 AM
I sent my laptop out to get repaired looked at. The shop found a problem??Battery they said? Hm anyhow im a lot happier now. I have it up and running homing MDI program and teach mode working. I am curious about the lack of torque at the handles while running. Is it supposed to be easy to stop it from revolving? How will it cut metal with such low torque ?? Thanx Yes i began reading the manual on the internet surprise the instructions actually helped me out. Thanx for the Link and help Guys. I have usually no time for instructions LOL.