PDA

View Full Version : Address for submitting articles?

KiddZimaHater
11-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know the Email address, or mailing address to submit articles for Machinist's Workshop, or Home Shop Machinist?
I couldn't find it anywhere. I just found the paragraph that states: "We accept submissions." :confused:

PTSideshow
11-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Bottom of this page,you have contact info link and a link for the magazines look for the home page. you will have to contact them first before submitting your article

Evan
11-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Send an e-mail to George Bulliss. That's his department.

Paul Alciatore
11-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I have submitted several items and some have been published. I always do it in Word and attach it to an e-mail and send it to George. They like to have the pictures and other art work sent in separate files. Apparently they can handle them better that way.

I believe you can e-mail George to get a copy of their guidelines.

gregl
11-01-2009, 12:34 PM
One additional suggestion: Contact the editor BEFORE writing your piece. It may be that he or she already has something in the file on the topic you have in mind and your work may not be needed. Or perhaps the editor will suggest a different take on the subject that would be better than what you had in mind.

As a former journalism professor and author for over 30 years, I always sent query letters. Only once did I have an idea rejected, and it was because, as I've said above, there was a piece already in the editor's file on my topic. At least I didn't waste time writing something that wouldn't be used.

Remember, too, that most magazines are planned six months or more in advance of their publication dates. Articles have to be balanced so that the publication presents an assortment of topics to its readers. Study at least two years' worth of back issues to see if your idea has recently been covered. If HSM, for example, just ran a piece on a ball turning attachment, it's unlikely that they would run another any time soon.

A digression: My father was a screenwriter (wrote and produced the first soap opera ever on TV, in 1946). Once he wrote a film comedy about a man who gets pregnant. The day he went to register it with the Writers' Guild, a film was released about, you guessed it, a man who gets pregnant. While there was no way for my dad to know what was in the works, in the case of magazines, always query the editor first.

Still on the web is a page I prepared for my students on how to get your magazine article in print. Included are tips on how to write a query letter (and a sample), improve the odds that your idea will be accepted, how to craft the article, prepare photos, and submit your work. The section on photos is a bit dated now but the core principles are still valid. It's at:

http://zimmer.csufresno.edu/~gregl/article/magazine.html

Weston Bye
11-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Greg,
Good article on your website! Even though I've been writing regularly for Digital Machinist and sporadically for HSM and MW, your article was a good refresher.

Davidhcnc
11-01-2009, 02:10 PM
They call you:cool:

Tim Clarke
11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
I've had a few articles published in HSM and MW. I'd always sent the submissions snail mail to whoever is the editor at the time, but the last couple were to Craig Foster. He was a new guy at the time, and I was hopeful he'd be more sympathetic to my meager talents.

First thing to do is Call, write, or email for an author's guide. I put off submitting for awhile, because my stuff is pretty basic compared to a lot of the other's. My best advice would be to start out with something small, to get your feet wet, so to speak. If you have some back issues, read articles by authors such as: Randolph Bulgin, Steve Acker, Jerry Tiers, and James Hanum. If you have any older back issues, Forrest Addy had a series caled the new hand for awhile. These guys write in a logical and straightforward style, with great photos in all the right places. If you submit something similar in quality, acceptance is a given.

Apologies to all the great guys who's names I haven't mentioned. I mentioned guys who post here, because I'm sure they will likely chip in with advice of their own.

TC