X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eeler1
    • Jan 2003

Anyone heard from/about Ken Garver?

Just wondering if I should write off my purchase of the Connelly book or what? I don't think he's a thief, so maybe something happened to him? The silence is really becoming annoying. Anyone heard anything??????????????

Jon
  • SJorgensen
    • Nov 2002

I did a quick search of all the postings for KGarver and found that he has posted 251 times but the last posting was over 50 days ago. The next posting was 115 days prior. Before that he used to post quite a bit. I hope it works out for you. I was considering jumping in on that deal, but I held off because I bought a bridgeport instead.
    Does anyone in your purchasing group know any of the details of the numbers of people involved? It seems like a reasonable time to check the status of the deal. I could understand a book run to take some time for a custom order, but you should be kept informed of the status if things are still on the up n'up.

Just curious,

Spence

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 09-27-2003).]

Comment

• kgarver
      • Jul 2002

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay. I got REAL busy lately and fell behind on "Da Book" mailings. One half of the books were received last Monday the balance were the previous Friday. I've been real busy this week but I'll get them out on Monday AM. Watch this BB and I'll let you all know that they went.

Should I not get them out for some unforseen reason I'll post that too.

Again sorry for the lateness. Have a good W/E and check back Monday nite.

Regards, Ken

Comment

• eeler1
        • Jan 2003

Ken:

Thanks for keeping us posted. I was starting to think that something had happened to you. Appreciate your efforts on our behalf.

Jon

Comment

• hornluv
          • Oct 2002

I just found an earlier (1978) printing of the connelly book at a flea market this past weekend. Any idea what changed in the book since then? I only paid $2 for the book BTW, so nyah!
          Stuart de Haro

Comment

• Thrud
            • Mar 2001

hornluv:
            Nothing has changed. A very rare (unusual might be the best term) book to find used. So you got it for $2 - but now you blew your one chance to win the lottery!

Comment

• SJorgensen
              • Nov 2002

I have a few questions about the copyrights on something like this. If Connelly is still alive does he get a royalty payment on the printing? I think it is right and proper if he is. But when does the document become public domain?

Spence

Comment

• Jim Caudill
                • Sep 2002

Well, I can't answer both your questions but I understand that the author died sometime ago (mid '90's?) and I heard his brother is the one that is actually selling/promoting the book. I am not sure of that though since the copyright holder of my 2001 printing is listed as Dan Fischer and there used to be an ad that ran in HSM that said to contact Dan at Machine Tool Publications. I suppose that Dan could be a in-law or nephew (who knows?). So, I would assume the royalties stay in the family. Copyrights can be renewed every so often, so it could be a long time before it ever falls into public domain. The movie "Its a Wonderful Life" fell into public domain because someone inadvertently failed to renew the copyright. The book seems to have been authored in 1955.
                JHC Dayton, OH

Comment

• mbensema
                  • Jun 2002

if copyright is established after 1977:
                  The copyright is valid for 70 years after the authors death and can be transfered to the heirs of the author and are due any royalties. If the author was commissioned by a publisher, then the copyright is valid for 95 years and is the property of the publisher.

For this book being published before 1978, then the term is 28 years from date of copyright with the right to renew, up to a maximum of 75 years.

If they renewed the copyright, we have a long time until this book comes off copyright.

Comment

• kgarver
                    • Jul 2002

Hi All,

I missed getting to the PO by 5 PM today. Will try again tomorrow and let you all know the results.

Regards, Ken

Comment

• kgarver
                      • Jul 2002

RE: I just found an earlier (1978) printing of the Connelly book at a flea market this past weekend. Any idea what changed in the book since then?

To the best of my knowledge nothing has changed since it was first printed in 1955. Good for you !!!!

Ken

Comment

• kgarver
                        • Jul 2002

Hi All,

With all due respect to the late, great General Curtis E. LeMay, of the Strategic Air Command; "BOOKS AWAY". Isn't that what he used to say?

I got to the PO and shipped them out today. About half of them were sent either "Bound Printed Matter" or "Media Mail". They should take about 2 to 5 weeks to reach you depending upon how far away you are from New Jersey, U.S. of A.

The other half were sent Priority Mail and you will (should) be getting them by the start or middle of next week (my best guess).

Those that went to the Netherlands, and Surrey, UK were shipped surface rate. Read sloooow boat to China here. My experience has been that they take at least four weeks plus to arrive.

The Canadian books seem to take about two weeks, total, to get through your/our customs.

I don't know just how any new security measures implemented since 9/11 has/will/might affect those shipping times. My guess is that it should make NO DIFFERENCE but I really don't know.

After all was said and done I came out about $70 dollars short. Basically about the cost of one book plus Priority Mail shipping costs with insurance to California. Not too bad for over 230 books! For those that got in this deal late we were just hoping, way back when, to get 50 orders for a decent discount. Then things sorta got out of hand! When you are up to your a-- in alligators its difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was just to drain the swamp!

This entire book deal has been a real eye-opener to say the least! I learned all kinds of things. I learned things that I didn't even want to know! Of such is life. Enjoy your books! They are a treasure trove of great information.

Regards, Ken

PS
                        Donations are still galdly being accepted to eliminate the last $70.00 shortfall!

My address is:

Ken Garver
                        304 Monroe Ave.
                        Wyckoff, New Jersey 07481-1956
                        United States of America

Regards,Ken

Comment

• Joel
                          • Jun 2001

Ken, you are indeed a prince among men. I had seen your older thread where you offered to handle the book deal. I had no need for the book so did not order it, but I did admire your generosity. After much time and trouble, you did the whole mess over and over again just to help out your fellow machinists.
                          The fact that you have ended up in the negative despite your efforts is unfortunate. I am sending some cash for the fund. You should not be stuck with a shortfall for helping. If just a few of us kick in…

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 10-03-2003).]

Comment

• kgarver
                            • Jul 2002

Hi Joel,

I have an X-wife that most probably would not agree with you about the "prince among men" statement but I sure thank you for the thought. And the $$ to offset the loss would be nice too! Especially since you didn't even get a book in the first place!

FYI In addition to many who had ordered a book and sent in a few bucks I had received monies from three or four people just like you who had not ordered a book but did want to help. Amazing I thought. I'll take this oppertunity to thank you (and any others) in advance for all of your help.

When I did the last tally (way bck when)it figured out to be $1.00 per person to cover all of the short fall [both books and shipping]. Three books were originally lost and I stood good for them. I received enough for two of them (and the associated shipping costs) and thats where I stand now.

For anyone who wants to review ancient history the old thread is ($92 Machine Tool Reconditioning) and I think makes really good reading as to how all of this came about over a year ago. Boy, time sure flies when you're having that much fun! Be forwarned that it goes on for eight pages.

Also it has been my expeirence that most of the problems arise AFTER the books a shipped out. So we may still have a bump in the road. Lets hope not. But none that we can't handle.

The auto companies have a process called "Things Done Right, Things Done Wrong". Its used after a new model kick off or some other big project to capture all of the good and bad things that they did or experienced. I've got a list of my own that I'll submit AFTER all books and owners are happily together. My hope is that the next person, who wants to head up a group buy, will have a road map to help them do it painlesly. Or at least not reinvent the wheel!

Regards, Ken

Comment

Working...
                            X