PDA

View Full Version : OT - Problems with AVG 9.0

SGW
11-02-2009, 03:05 PM
A couple days ago I upgraded from AVG Free 8.5 to 9.0 and immeiately began to have network instability issues. Browsers would sometimes give "Connection reset by server" errors and when I tried to use the Filezilla FTP program to access a website I help maintain, I could list certain directories but not all. I backed up to 8.5 (fortunately I still had a copy of the 8.5 installation file) and all the problems went away.
I reported this behavior on the AVG Free forum and along with suggestions of things to try I got the feeling that THEIR software couldn't possibly have a problem, it must be me.
I tried all their suggestions, with no improvement. I posted another note in the AVG forum describing what I'd done and askiing "Now what?"

So...unless you have a copy of the 8.5 install so you can back up if you need to, I'd avoid AVG 9.0 for a while. I did successfully install 9.0 on a laptop,so it does work ok on some (probably most) computers, but if you happen to run into what I did and can't undo ityou're in trouble.

All that beiing said, have any of you installed 9.0, successfully or with problems?

Peter.
11-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Still on 8.5 here. I won't move to 9 until they force me to - see no reason for it. Only trouble I ever had was with their link-scanner thing.

rockrat
11-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm on 8.5 and my only issue is that it seems to slow down different activities when is is making a weekly scan. Now that AVG has attached itself to my internet explorer, things have really slowed down. IE, even though I dont use it much, is taking forever to start after the last AVG "up grade".

I'm starting to look for a browser replacement anyway. Opera is getting way too slow for some reason. This has been going on since the last few upgrades of opera and I haven't noticed the AVG upgrades having any effect on it.

Oh well, seems to happen every few years.

rock

mconlee
11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
If your using vista, then you might go into the properties for the network connection and remove the check mark for the tcpip ver 6. that seems to stablilize the connection for me.

I have two systems, one using avg 8.x and one using avg 9. both were experiencing instability, until i did the above. Vista seems to have a problem with their implementation of tcpip ver 6, and it could be that avg uses calls to the vista routines. At any rate, tcpip ver 6 isnt implemented in almost all connections to internet, so your not missing out on much by disabling it.

Give it a try.. but if your not using vista, then this doesnt mean much.

SGW
11-02-2009, 04:14 PM
No Vista for me...I'm back at W2000! :D

tattoomike68
11-02-2009, 04:26 PM
No Vista for me...I'm back at W2000! :D

Ummmmm this is almost 2010, download a cracked XP PRO it would be a huge upgrade for you and is painless. (if that old beater will burn a boot CD)

thats the problem the OS is old.

myself I would not upgrade, you can go get a laptop with 3 gigs of ram , 250 gig hard drive and a dual core AMD x64 running windows 7 for under $300

do not waste money to upgrade that computer at all.

After getting a laptop I will never buy a big dirt sucking peice of crap desktop ever again. you get wifi printers and routers and ditch all the wires and the crap.

SGW
11-02-2009, 07:02 PM
No, it's not the OS. 1) I've seen the same problems on an XP system; 2) AVG says it's supposed to work on W2000...and I want to hold them to it.

tattoomike68
11-02-2009, 07:32 PM
No, it's not the OS. 1) I've seen the same problems on an XP system; 2) AVG says it's supposed to work on W2000...and I want to hold them to it.

A windows 2000 computer would not sell for $10 at a yard sale, the techs are laughing at you.

Pitch that old beater in the trash.

kendall
11-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Nothing wrong with 2k. Ran it for years, the only reason I moved to XP is because of hardware I had to run that was strictly XP.
Nearly anything that will run on XP will run on 2k, the only things that don't are things that -check- that it's running on XP

If the OS runs what you need, there's no reason to upgrade it.

A lot of people I know are switching to AVAST from AVG, argument is that it's a lighter footprint, and more configurable.

Ken.

Joel
11-02-2009, 11:04 PM
A windows 2000 computer would not sell for $10 at a yard sale, the techs are laughing at you.

Never really understood this philosophy.
If an item does what you need, then you are good to go. To type up an email or a document (which seems to be all that a LOT of people need from their computer), hardly requires the latest and greatest...

airsmith282
11-02-2009, 11:07 PM
iam running version 9 avg and my OS is vista ultimate and i have no issues on my dell precicion m6400

SGW
11-03-2009, 12:10 PM
...Disable Active Surf-Shield in Link Scanner.

Peter N
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Well that just nicely illustrates that you're not a techie Mike, but more of a fashion victim. :D
For all intents and purposes Windows 2000 and Windows XP are essentially the same operating system, both are NT cores, and XP is really just Windows 2000 1.1. There are a few differences that are more for the desktop "stylists", although XP does have more bells and whistles (remote desktop connection/fast user switching - not that I use either of them), and I suspect that Robert (Lazlo) or Evan probably know the full list of differences.

Windows 2000 Professional is a good OS, and their is no reason at all to change it that I can think of.

Peter

Jim Caudill
11-03-2009, 03:28 PM
tatoomike68 wrote: "...you can go get a laptop with 3 gigs of ram , 250 gig hard drive and a dual core AMD x64 running windows 7 for under $300"

Mike, I would like to look into getting such a laptop. I usually buy Dell stuff that is on sale, but the cheapest thing that matches that description from them costs around $570 plus tax & shipping, makes it more like $650.
http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/laptop-vostro-1520/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-vostro-1520&s=bsd&cs=04&dgc=EM&cid=49513&lid=1289786&acd=1553620003

Can you tell me where or what brand offers that performance @ that price?

ARFF79
11-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Then they must really howl when they visit me I still have a machine running Win '95 as I can't get any drivers to work my plotter on the newer platforms. Also still use the PS2 30/286 machine for 2 applications that I need to reconfigure someday to work on newer software.

lazlo
11-07-2009, 05:26 PM
For all intents and purposes Windows 2000 and Windows XP are essentially the same operating system, both are NT cores, and XP is really just Windows 2000 1.1.

WinXP, Vista and Win7 are evolutionary improvements on the Win2K kernel. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's somewhat like how the car manufacturers standardize a platform, like General Motors/Isuzu's GMT355 platform, which is then built-up in different modular configurations to make the Chevrolet Colorado, the GMC Canyon, and the Hummer H3.

Similarly, MacOS was built on the commercial OS "NextStep", which used Carnegie Mellon's Mach OS -- a distributed microkernel variant of BSD Unix.

But like all operating systems, the kernels are constantly being modified and enhanced, so it's precarious to say that Win 7 is still using Win2K's core, just like you can't really say that SnowLeopard still uses Mach's core. They're certainly descended from that lineage...

A good example of that is that Win2K and XP were very successful, but Vista, the next evolutionary step, was slow and resource hungry, and was largely ignored by the corporate world. With Win7, MS focused on speed and efficiency, and now Win7 is even faster than XP.

That said, Win2K was a great OS, and if it's working for you, especially on old hardware, I wouldn't muck with it. Getting new operating systems to work on old hardware is a PITA for people that do it for a living, so unless you're a masochist, you'd be better off triaging Win2K, and buying a new machine when you can afford it.

lazlo
11-07-2009, 05:30 PM
tatoomike68 wrote: "...you can go get a laptop with 3 gigs of ram , 250 gig hard drive and a dual core AMD x64 running windows 7 for under $300"

Mike, I would like to look into getting such a laptop.
Can you tell me where or what brand offers that performance @ that price

Best Buy online is running a special this week. The Toshiba L505D-S5983 Laptop: AMD Athlon II Dual Core 3GB DDR2, 320GB hard drive, 15.6" monitor, for $349.99:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+D %20ual-Core+Processor+-+Graphite+Gray/9553896.p?id=1218123211002&skuId=9553896&st=955389%206&cp=1&lp=1%20name=

By the way, for good deals on PC's and laptops, check Slickdeals.net, Fatwallet.com et al. They all post "hot deals" on their front-page.

Your Old Dog
11-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I have pretty much given up on AVG. I went to 9 and then I had the same server problems. I had to renew my address almost everytime the machine went to sleep for awhile. I dumped AVG from the drive and since then no problems. I don't open any emails from anyone I don't recognize and I am hoping to get lucky. I do run SpyBot and CCleaner periodically and the machine seems to run faster.

Anyone suggest a decent virus checker that won't slow the machine down to a crawl?

kendall
11-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Agree with that, I don't run any anti virus software, just take care of what goes in, and stay away from unknown attachments.

I perform a semi-random scan for malware, and make frequent backups. Which I've streamlined considerably, so it only takes a few minutes to back up, and roughly 20 minutes for a full install (OS/drivers/and software) after a format.

Ken

tattoomike68
11-07-2009, 07:51 PM

Mike, I would like to look into getting such a laptop. I usually buy Dell stuff that is on sale, but the cheapest thing that matches that description from them costs around $570 plus tax & shipping, makes it more like $650.
http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/laptop-vostro-1520/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-vostro-1520&s=bsd&cs=04&dgc=EM&cid=49513&lid=1289786&acd=1553620003

Can you tell me where or what brand offers that performance @ that price?

Staples just ran a sale, better than that peice of crap windows2000 garbage by a mile.

tattoomike68
11-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Then they must really howl when they visit me I still have a machine running Win '95 as I can't get any drivers to work my plotter on the newer platforms. Also still use the PS2 30/286 machine for 2 applications that I need to reconfigure someday to work on newer software.

Win 95 can handle 2 gigs of hard drive, i wuold never help you with your win95 junk, when it went to hell I would throw it in a dumpster, same with your windows 2000 crap boxes you think is good.

A few years back some dopes were sayinging "Windows98 se" rocks and is the best.

LOL dummies..

trap
11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I had avg then switched to Vipre. It does not slow the machine down and has been trouble free. I have e-mailed Vipre with some questions and always got quick replies.

C - ROSS
11-07-2009, 08:20 PM
I'll see your 95 and raise you a 3.11, have one app still running no need to change it. Have an old 286 that I boot once in a while just for kicks.

Use 98 and XP most of the time but also have a Vista setting under the desk. They all work It's just a matter of what you want/need and how much you want to spend.

Ross