PDA

View Full Version : Anybody made the switch from Vista to Windows 7?

winchman
11-03-2009, 07:05 PM
My wife got a new computer with Vista and a deal to upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out. Vista is running well with no issues so far. She's really antsy about changing the OS.

Has anyone here switched under one of the buy Vista now-get Windows 7 later deals? How did it go?

Roger

pgmrdan
11-03-2009, 07:21 PM
My new home computer came with Windows 7 on it so I can't speak to the upgrade.

Vista? It's another MicroShlock piece of crap so what do you expect? It definitely takes some getting used to.

Typical Windows. Different, not better, just different for the sake of being different. PITA!

I'm still fighting Office 2007 at work. What a piece of garbage. Outlook is a miserable piece of software but what are you gonna do when the managers force it down our throats?

KiddZimaHater
11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm still running Windows XP, and it works GREAT !!! :)

Steelmaster
11-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Amen to that, best version of Windoze ever made, but that doesn't mean a lot!

KillerMike
11-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I just installed windows 7 in a virtual machine, just to see how it runs... and it does seem to be a bit snappier then my XP. It found ALL my hardware and install all drivers without asking once. Fairly impressive.

But like every Microsoft OS so far, I'd wait for SP1 before switching, let the rest of the world be a beta tester :D

Cheers
Mike

kendall
11-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm running windows 7 64 bit, have no complaints at all.
I am normally very slow to adopt a new OS, but I downloaded the beta real early this year, then shortly after the release of the RC version, I deleted the XP partition and haven't looked back. (stuck with 2kpro till after Vista was released, and used DOS till w95 was on 'old' computers, and w98 was 'normal'!)

If you get the upgrade version, look on www.winsupersite.com for instructions/advice on how to install it to a blank partition, that way you can run it without committing yourself.

Note/warning: off the disk (purchased last week) it handles ATI cards fine, but the driver windows update downloads won't detect your monitor correctly.

Ken.

Walter
11-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I still run 2k pro, ain't changin a damn thing till I absolutely have to.

andy_b
11-03-2009, 08:50 PM

same here! my current machine is one i put together in march of this year, and it is the fastest booting machine i have had yet. i can go from "powered-off and cold" to cruising the net in under 45 seconds. i have timed it several times and every time it takes that long. that includes the logon screen where i have to pick myself as the user (my wife and kids are setup on this machine as well).

boot-up is always a big issue for me since any computer i use now is blazingly fast for anything i want to do. i just can't stand sitting there for five minutes while the darn thing decides to awaken from its slumber. :)

andy b.

alanganes
11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I went to Win7 64 bit, so far, so good. Got an HP laptop last year with Vista 64. Very bad. Lots of the software I need and use daily would not work, no way, no how. I ended up going to Vista 32, which had fewer compatibility issues, but still was not so great. Should have gone to XP at that point.

Anyhow, I pre-ordered WIN7, and installed it a few days after it was released. I did a clean install, installed in what struck me as an amazingly short time. On the first boot-up, it found all of the drivers for all of my hardware and installed them with no intervention on my part. Did the second reboot, and everything has worked fine since.

Boots up noticeably faster than Vista, and most all of my previously Vista incompatible software now works fine. I downloaded the stuff that lets you run XP in a virtual machine, and have used it to run some really old stuff that I use on occasion.

All-in-all, it seems to be working well in my case and was worth doing. Vista was clearly a mistake.

I still run Win2K pro on my desktop. Has not given me a problem in years.

Just my experience, Your mileage may vary...

lazlo
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I've been using Win7 for about 6 weeks, and it's basically a refined version of the Vista Aeroglass interface and DirectX 10 running on a much faster kernel.

They really toned-down the User Account Control -- it's a slide-bar and you can turn it off just by pulling it down to 0.

Some neat little OS tweaks: there's a Snipper Tool which is an industrial-strength screenshot/window/region grabber complete with annotation tools, and Win7 allows you to "browse" FTP directories by hovering over the files. If it's a supported filetype (i.e., most images), it will show you a thumbnail of the full-sized image, before you download it.

They also really improved the application launch bar -- it's like an evolved version of the Jaguar/Snow Leopard task manager: you have groups of tasks that expand across the tray instead of the XP Quick Launch tray, and you can preview the tasks by hovering the mouse over the tray icons. So if you have a bunch of folders open, for example, and you hover on top of the folder icon in the traybar, a semi-transparent set of preview windows pops up, and you can activate any of them by clicking on it.

The only downside I've seen so far is that Win7 is a memory pig. Microsoft's minimum system requirement is 1 GByte, but it really wants 2 GBytes to keep from constantly paging.

S_J_H
11-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm no computer guy. But after owning windoze pc's for the last 20 years or whateve, I just bought a new Imac with snow leopard as frankly I have just had enough with windows. So when it came time for a new computer I decided to give the mac a shot. The switch was very easy and I'm very impressed so far with the new IMAC I have. Hopefully windows 7 works well. I still have 3 other pc's running windows xp and vista.

Steve

kendall
11-03-2009, 10:24 PM
The only downside I've seen so far is that Win7 is a memory pig. Microsoft's minimum system requirement is 1 GByte, but it really wants 2 GBytes to keep from constantly paging.

I'm running 8 gigs, and have had a dozen virtual machines open without noticing a slowdown.
Really like 7, think microsoft finally hit a home run.

Agree, everything I hated about vista has been straightened out in 7, and the 64 bit version has no problem with XP programs at all that I've found.

fast boot times, and seems to have drivers available for everything.

If you have a student in the family, you can pick up a copy of W7 for $30. (have two college students in the house, and still haven't taken advantage of that!) I'd say upgrade.

Ken.

macona
11-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I have been running it since the RTM. Runs great. Way better than vista. Its what vista should have been.

I only run XP on my cnc machines since I have a bunch of licenses for that.

Bad thing about W7 is they have really locked in the drivers. All drivers mus be signed by M$. There are workarounds but it is kind of annoying.

v860rich
11-03-2009, 11:26 PM
I have a college student at home YET, how do "they" go about getting W7 for $30.00?

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

gmatov
11-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Microsoft recommends that you upgrade Vista. They do NOT recommend that you upgrade Win XP.

I run Win2K on my main machine, the new HP in the other room is Vista. I don't like Vista. I registered for the upgrade to Win7, haven't gotten the disc yet. It has to be better than Vista, even before the bug patches come out.

Baddie about Win2k is that it is on my cuz's machine. She bought a new canon camera. The SW to DL the pics from it don't go back to Win2K. Now she wants to spend 500 or more for a new computer to DL the pics from an SD card from a 150 buck camera to a new computer. 10 bucks or so for a card reader sounds better to me.

That's the hell of all the OS's. You have a great 3 year old printer, the new OS doesn't have drivers for it. And nobody will write the drivers for it.

Linux excepted. But she can hardly maneuever around 2k. NEVER gonna go to Linux.

Cheers,

George

gmatov
11-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Double strike. Didn't post. Resent. Sorry.

macona
11-04-2009, 02:15 AM
If you are on a mac or other *nix based systems there is gutenprint, they are third party open source drivers for printers.

A lot of drivers have been broken with the push to 64 bit processors.

Metalmelter
11-04-2009, 06:58 AM
I skipped Vista altogether over the years. However in a nutshell, Win 7 IS Vista - only with all the bugs supposedly fixed and much more backwards compatible then Vista ever was. Many companies are writing or have just written drivers for the peripherals I have and if you can't find what you need under Win7, just use the Vista drivers and generally your safe with that. It takes a little getting used to at first. Some small things are missing from the days of XP but a little searching on Google will show you how to get them back.

I've been running Win7 X64 RTM since it was released, had some issues with the blue screen of death at times but just make sure you update your BIOS and chip set drivers where needed to support the new system.

As of last night the only thing I can't find a driver for is my older Epson scanner. However, Win 7 has an answer for that too - download for free the Win XP virtual PC package and Win7 will run a virtual instance of XP in a separate window and that allowed me to use my scanner ;)

The x64 bit version also allowed me to run 4 GIG of ram and with a 3.0GHz dual core processor and the machine moves along rather well.

Overall I'm satisfied so far.

Metalmelter
11-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I have a college student at home YET, how do "they" go about getting W7 for $30.00?

THANX RICH

The $30 version is a "one time install" deal only. What that means is you buy it, install it on your machine and leave it there. You will not be able to remove it and install to a different machine or even go so far as change too much hardware on the machine it's first installed on.

Change too many things like motherboard, cpu, etc and the secret hash file that windows generates from the information it gathers during installation and uploaded to Microsoft to identify your machine will change. That will trigger an event that will invalidate your copy of windows.

Spend the money and get the better version ;)

Black_Moons
11-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Iv been using win7 and I very much enjoy it, really stable and more or less responsive, I really enjoy that it uses most of my unused memory as cache, making having 6gigs actualy have a point. Games load MUCH faster once it caches things. I believe it they have really worked on improveing how pre cacheing works in win7. the new tray is actualy rather nice too. And I usally don't like upgrades but win7 has been pertty enjoyable.

kendall
11-04-2009, 09:50 AM

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Two sources:

http://www.win741.com/

---
http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage?resid=YXOxvgoBAiMAABJ5eCsAAAAP&rests=1253210478577

----

And a write up:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4003

Offer valid till January

I'm not 100% sure, but I've always understood that the student version was like the OEM license, only legal for installation on ONE machine, so you can't build a new system and move windows to it.

But, for $30 there's no complaints.

Ken.

Falcon67
11-04-2009, 09:54 AM

THANX RICH

Check with his college IT department, they may have a site license for Microsoft products that allow him to upgrade for free. If not, there should be student discount versions of what he needs in the bookstore on online. MS has very aggressive pricing for students, faculty and staff. I haven't had to pay for a MS product in 12 years.

We (at the university) did NOT update anything to Vista. We saw zero business reasons for the upgrade. The students that came in with Vista machines had their share of trouble. We did have a couple of guys in the Help Desk get a handle on some of the Vista issues, but mostly we didn't support it. We had a few faculty buy new machines on their own, then complain that certain things didn't work - like VPN software, etc. Well - good for you being on the bleeding edge. I'll stick with XP until I get a decent eval of W7, then I'll move up.

There will be upgrades from XP - people will not wipe their machines to install a new OS. 90% do not have the capability to do that anyway. So if MS wants to sell a new OS, they'll figure out a way.

kendall
11-04-2009, 10:17 AM
The $30 version is a "one time install" deal only. What that means is you buy it, install it on your machine and leave it there. You will not be able to remove it and install to a different machine or even go so far as change too much hardware on the machine it's first installed on.

Change too many things like motherboard, cpu, etc and the secret hash file that windows generates from the information it gathers during installation and uploaded to Microsoft to identify your machine will change. That will trigger an event that will invalidate your copy of windows.

Spend the money and get the better version ;)

You can change and add everything in the computer, what creates problems is if you change everything at once. Most often there will be a number provided where you can explain that you had an issue and they will provide an activation code.

For $30 if you use that computer for a few years (4 years average school system life) it's less than $10 a year.

In my household, computers get built up and handed down, so it's normal for them to be around for 8 years or more. Mine is all new, the wife's is 6 years old, and my son's is about three. If the $30 version was available when it was built, she'd be down to less than $4 annual cost for the OS. Currently it's $33 a year because I bought the $199 full retail version for her.

Ken.

Davek0974
11-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I run the network at work and have 20+ pc's to look after, all running XP and a 2003 server. This lot is a nightmare at times! what with constant windoze bug fix downloads (sorry - updates) every couple of days, a security model that defies belief for network admins and the clunky interface.

I think NT4 was a good system, proper computing without all the bells and whistles, but thats long gone now. I'm sticking with XP until we can go to Mac OS whatever, i use that at home and love it.

I would love top shove all those pc's in the skip:o

I was impressed when Vista came out and we were offered upgrades to XP! That really set alarm bells ringing:(

I think Windoze really needs to sort out the front end, its tired, clunky, chunky, bulky, child-like interface and tidy it up like an Apple is - clean, easy to use, no thick header bars on windows, no big red X button in the corner.

DOS was good too, anyone remember constantly tweaking "Autoexec.bat" and "Config.sys" files trying to squeeze that litle bit more performance out of it :)

dockrat
11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
DOS was good too, anyone remember constantly tweaking "Autoexec.bat" and "Config.sys" files trying to squeeze that litle bit more performance out of it :)

Oh ya!!!! I had a ball with DOS. I must have written dozens of batch files. Loved making those things work. I miss it

psomero
11-04-2009, 05:44 PM
i just got the shipment confirmation from dell for my free vista to 7 upgrade disc. i only have one machine that i run vista on and that's because it came with it.

on my 6 other personal machines, i run xp pro and am not in any sort of a hurry to switch over. i had the vista RC on my desktop for a while, but i got bored and killed the drive it was on and a slackware linux install took its place...

vista has been decent so far on the desktop, but it takes 4 gigs of ram and a quad core processor to do the same stuff that my PII 266mhz machine with 128mb of ram did a decade ago in w95...

kendall
11-04-2009, 07:17 PM
That's normal though, the faster the computer is the more 'fluff' they'll throw into the software to take advantage of it, so in reality you never gain anything by going to a faster computer.

I have some old DOS games that I thought were slow when they were new, for fun, I'll let gamers try their hand at them on the new systems. They play so fast that as soon as you hit start, you're dead.

Ken.

My computer throttles down, and slows to the speed required to accomplish whatever tasks are running, most often when I check, it's only running at 800mhz. 1500 when I had a game running and the speed monitor showing on the other display. Have had it running full blast with all four cores smoking away, but had to have a LOT of tasks going to do so.

tattoomike68
11-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Oh ya!!!! I had a ball with DOS. I must have written dozens of batch files. Loved making those things work. I miss it

me too, one touch button menus to do anything, it was a sweet system in its day.

oldtiffie
11-05-2009, 07:21 AM
I still run 2k pro, ain't changin a damn thing till I absolutely have to.

Walter.

I had W2K Pro until a week ago when my main board "blew" beyond repair and I didn't have spare (installed in 2000 - 9 years ago!!) and possibly because it had always run under an Interruptible Power Supply (UPS) has never had a problem.

New main boards ( here anyway) do not support (or "run") W2K, plus the main boards only support one "floppy" drive and one IDE drive. The rest of the drives are SATA.

I had a pretty new XP Pro machine so I was pretty well provided for - in most respects, but I had to transfer or re-install all my applications and data from the W2K disks to my XP and start getting into using XP.

XP is really excellent.

My old W2K was gutted and a new computer was built and W7 Pro was installed. I have only just begun to come to grips with W7, but I do like what I see.

My XP and W7 machines are net-worked, and there are a couple of net-work minor problems to be sorted out - but all in all, everything seems fine.

Both machines are to be identical so as to enable quick recovery if needed. Both will be fully backed up to external drives independently of each other.

Both machines are on my desk and run together. They are linked with a Keyboard/Video/Monitor (KVM) quick-action switch so that I can switch between them as required.

I have a spare screen and keyboard as well as a spare main board and 64-bit dual core processor for each computer.

The "crash"/loss of the W2K computer was a real PITA but it was inevitable. I had to be either weaned or forced off W2K and it was a bit of a blessing in disguise, although I didn't think so when it happened.

So, I've pretty well got used to "losing" W2K and having to use and adapt to learning two Operating Systems (XP and W7) concurrently.

Its not as if I'm short of other things that need doing here either.

Orrin
11-05-2009, 09:28 AM
i just got the shipment confirmation from dell for my free vista to 7 upgrade disc. i only have one machine that i run vista on and that's because it came with it.

Did you request the upgrade from Dell, or, are they doing this for all Vista users? We have a Dell laptop that my wife bought (without asking for my advice regarding the OS) that has the Vista OS. I'd really like to upgrade (but I'd be happier if we had gotten the machine with XP on it, instead.)

Orrin

MrSleepy
11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
I have remained loyal to XP with my towers and laptops as I've found it easier and less painful to get stuff done with...

I write software front ends for my electronics ( I also wrote the GT8Editor for the Roland GT8 guitar pedal which has been downloaded from my webspace over 170,000 times) so I have a vista system running for testing..and I loathe it..

I've just bought a Toshiba Satellite A500 with win 7 home pro...which Im using now to type this with...and it seems okay sofar..

Oncce I removed all the needless toshiba rubbish and the McAfee virus it speeded up significantly..it may become the one I surf with,a keeper..

So far all the win32 programs I use have installed and ran ...I thought I may need virtualisation but thats not happened..

I like the look and feel..so far..

Rob

lazlo
11-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I've just bought a Toshiba Satellite A500 with win 7 home pro...which Im using now to type this with...and it seems okay sofar..

Oncce I removed all the needless toshiba rubbish and the McAfee virus it speeded up significantly..

I mentioned this before, but there's a freeware program called "Decrapifier" that will remove the majority of the bundled crap that Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Lenovo, HP... put on their machines.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

panchula
11-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Open a command window and type in VER, hit enter an you'll find it's Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]. Perhaps the funniest (and not politically correct) commentary I've seen was the the comic strip xkcd: http://xkcd.com/528/.

-Mike

psomero
11-05-2009, 05:18 PM
That's normal though, the faster the computer is the more 'fluff' they'll throw into the software to take advantage of it, so in reality you never gain anything by going to a faster computer.

I have some old DOS games that I thought were slow when they were new, for fun, I'll let gamers try their hand at them on the new systems. They play so fast that as soon as you hit start, you're dead.

Ken.

My computer throttles down, and slows to the speed required to accomplish whatever tasks are running, most often when I check, it's only running at 800mhz. 1500 when I had a game running and the speed monitor showing on the other display. Have had it running full blast with all four cores smoking away, but had to have a LOT of tasks going to do so.

never gain anything by going to a faster computer? try running some finite element analysis or control system modeling software on a PII machine...

my gripe is that you can't configure the newer versions of windows to run without the bloat.

for example, there's linux distros that will fit into the 4mb of flash memory on my linksys router and do 10x what the windows 2003 server router software will do in 1/10 the time...

to run all of my old dos apps, i use microsoft's virtual pc running w98 or freedos. the software emulates a slower processor and all the other hardware...

oldtiffie
11-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Well I'll be damned - so 'tiz - W6+?

MrSleepy
11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
well..I've just had my first BSOD...it rebooted too quick for me to get a good look why... nvl blah .sys ..
it then reboots to a screen telling you it had a bsod...and it said it will go online to investigate...then nothing...

except I can look for myself in a file in the \windows\minidump dir...go there..wont let me open the file access denied.....doesnt understand the *.dmp format...

but says it can go online to tell me what will...and you guess it...microsoft do not recognise this format..

Rob

macona
11-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Might of been a nvidia driver issue. Maybe chipset if you dont have a graphics card.

atty
11-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Been running Windows 7 for a couple of months on a P4 with 1.5G Ram, and despite what Microsoft may say, that's not enough horsepower. I would recommend nothing less than a dual core and 2G minimum.

Preview functions and other bells and whistles can grow on you pretty quickly. It's not an Apple, but it certainly is a major improvement over Vista.

I agree with a previous post....wait for SP1.

MichaelP
11-06-2009, 10:12 AM
you'll find it's Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600] Naming Windows 6 "Windows 7" eliminates all the bugs of Ver.6. And don't expect SP1. It'll be SP4 right away. :)