PDA

View Full Version : Rockford Mill

Tom S
11-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey all,

I have an opportunity to buy a small Rockford Mill for a good price, and am wondering if anyone here has used one before. Apparently it's a 1945 model, is in great condition, and includes some tooling. I have not been to see it yet, and no pictures have been sent to me, but I can't wait to go see it. I would like to use it to learn how to make gears, splines, and such; and to have a mill in my shop (I have access to one at work, but would like to have one at home).

-Tom

HSS
11-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Deleted, not relevant

Peter.
11-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a 1952 mill and I think it's great. Like you I always wanted one, even more so after I got my lathe. Condition is important though, I was lucky in that mine has little backlash or wear and a table with not dings in it. Check it out thoroughly before comitting to buy, and check the availability of tooling. Mine had bespoke collets and I had to pull the spindle so that John could re-machine it for Bridgeport tooling. Since then it's come in handy time and time again.

If you don't know of the site you can find details of Rockford Mills here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/rockfordmillers/

Tom S
11-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Let me see if I understand. You haven't seen the mill and have no pictures of the mill, but it is in great condition. Was it the seller that said it was in great condition?:rolleyes:

Actually, it was the seller's employee. But, from the way he sounded he liked the machine and thought it to be a good piece of equipment. I will certainly give it the once over before I set down any money, but since it is an hour away I would like to see people's reaction to the make before I make the drive.

-Tom

Tom S
11-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Got a good look over yesterday afternoon, and $500 later it's mine. Interesting fellow selling it, he had owned his own machine shop for the past 40 years. One of those guys who can tell you a lot just by shaking your hand. It was his first mill, and since it was a lineshaft model (Rockford #1 Plain Miller), he installed a gearbox and electric motor on the machine. Did a lot of work with it, but he upgraded equipment as he could and needed to, and it ended up sitting in the corner of his shop, ready to go and unused. Recently he decided to close the shop down and retire, so he is in the process of selling his equipment. This is the last machine left, and I guess that the machinery dealers didn't want it, so he placed it in the classifieds. Well cared for machine, all the ways look good, no rust. A little sticky because of the grime from the past 20 or so years of sitting in a shop, but I think with a good clean up and some paint it will be a nice machine for my purposes. Comes with a few arbors as well, and some mills. I'll get some pictures when I go pick it up (don't have a truck myself, got to get a buddy in there).

-Tom