PDA

View Full Version : OT my troubles

lane
11-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Well I`m off work again for a few weeks . Had operation Tuesday night for detached retina right eye this time .About 4 years ago Nov 22 had same thing in left eye. From what dr. said not as bad but still the pits will be at least 6-8 weeks be four we know for sure. At least I can se the computer this time . last time could not read are watch TV would tire the good eye out to fast . Was ok wester day but to day both eyes like to stay closed so been just sitting in the dark are with no lights on . Been through this before so know what to expect but it still sucks.
Just had to tell some one . Be sure to ware your safety glasses being blind in one eye stops the machine work.But this was not caused by any thing like that.

Peter.
11-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear that Lane. I had an op on my right eye to remove a shard of non-magnetic metal. They said I stood a good chance of losing the sight in that eye from the op but luckily it went well and I have perfect vision, though I have a trauma cataract which might bother me in later life.

For days after the op I had to keep both eyes closed because as you say they both want to be either open or shut and holding my good eye open caused pain in the other eye. In frustration I tried using some surgical tape to tape my good eyelid open so I could eat meals. Surprisingly it was very effective and there was no discomfort at all, though I did lose a lash or two to the tape.

BadDog
11-05-2009, 04:51 PM
So sorry to hear that. My son had a freak detached retina. They put a band on it and the eye now functions, but he lost his 20/15 eye sight and is all but legally blind in that eye. Soon to have attempted corrective surgery. I also had normal corrective surgery on both eyes at the same time. That few days recovering nearly drove me batty, I can certainly sympathize with your situation. Hopefully you can find plenty of music you like, audio books, and other auditory inputs to keep you distracted while you recover. Good luck!

camdigger
11-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Hmm, most unfortunate:(

I went through a vision correction surgery a number of years ago. Spent 4 days tripping over furniture because I couldn't see it...:eek: A bit spooky even though I'd been warned about it repeatedly.

A suggestion.... If you like books, try books on audio. Some are available on the interweb as downloads, some from CDs, I had some on cassette (that`s how long it`s been since I had eye surgery.) Your local library will probly have some CDs available for loan. I listened to every James Heriot story the local library had during my recovery. A few Sherlock Holmes too. There`s some James Bond type and several other genres including the classics and the Bible.

Oh, and don`t forget music, if you like it at all. Music does soothe the savage (impatient) beast or patient. Again reclining with both eyes closed listening to a set of favorite tunes.

I have no idea if you play an instrument, but playing with your eyes closed is excellent training..... Lots of musicians are legally blind, so there`s no excuse there...(think Ray Charles and Terry Kelly)

It may speed your recovery if you can lay back with your eyes closed and have someone read to you for a couple or four hours a day, even if their voice is prerecorded... Me, I`ve got 3 school age kids who need the practice :) :)

lazlo
11-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Sorry to hear about that Lane :(

Pherdie
11-05-2009, 05:10 PM
I think of all my senses, vision is the most valuable to me. I think most folks would agree too.

May your gift be restored, Lane.

Fred

dockrat
11-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Well that really sucks Lane. Wishing you a speedy recovery and I think I have to agree with Pherdie

DeereGuy
11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Lane best wishes for a speedy recovery...:)

Ken_Shea
11-05-2009, 07:43 PM
"Be sure to ware your safety glasses"
Good advice Lane, way too often we take what we have for granted.

Sure hope things go well and faster for you then expected.

Ken

Carld
11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Lane, what ever you do take real good care of your eyes. Rest and get well.

jb-mck
11-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I wish you a speedy recovery Lane. I'm sure 6-8 weeks will be an eternity for you if you can't work in your shop. You will have to find some way to spend your time! Take care.

Evan
11-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm sure you are supposed to keep your head back or flat on your back as much as possible the next little while. Do as your doctor tells you. For me blindness would be the end of my life. Just thinking about it scares the crap out of me.

Take good care of yourself Lane. You have a lot of cool stuff to make still.

MickeyD
11-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Hope that you feel better Lane. Being down is no fun with weather as nice as it is now.

PS. - Can you read this?

tattoomike68
11-05-2009, 08:45 PM
do the best you can, I see fine but am deaf for the most part for years.

I like being deaf, its just fine by me.

wierdscience
11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Take care Lane,do what they tell you.

I trust you have an active imagination?Should be thinking of a whole bunch new projects while your down.

TGTool
11-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Lane, all the best. Will be sending healing thoughts from here anyway.

do the best you can, I see fine but am deaf for the most part for years.

I like being deaf, its just fine by me.

Yes Mike, and that's why farts smell. -- So deaf people can enjoy them too. :D

gunbuilder
11-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Lane,
Take care, get better.

Thanks,
Paul

DFMiller
11-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Lane
Get well soon
Dave

lane
11-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I still got one good eye but it wears down fast. Yes I could see that Mickey And Dr said to sleep face down which is no problem I do any way. just being off work and no pay check hurts . Besides I just started a new job only been their a month. One thing for sure I have plenty of time to dream up some projects. One of my machining buddies took me to lunch to day and we checked out some Pawn shops ,but was tired and ready to get home after.

Alistair Hosie
11-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes I too wish you every kind of speed for recovery hope it doesn't leave you permanently damaged or have problems in the future.Bronwen had serious cataract damage in both eyes (it's bad on her side of the family ) she was registered blind for about a year,anyway new lenses fitted one at a time and her eyesight is better than new now all the best.Alistair