PDA

View Full Version : ot: computer crashing...

gvasale
11-06-2009, 06:31 PM
My computer regularly crashes. Using eventvwr, the typical failure is system error, code (102) event 1003. Any easy fix without days of microsuck online meandering or a 12ga?

winchman
11-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I googled "system error, code (102) event 1003", and got a ton of hits.

Look at this: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic46545.html

Roger

cuemaker
11-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a hardware error...quite possibly a memory error...

gvasale
11-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Thats the problem with a ton of hits. Any why is said days of meandering. I have gone through almost a 1/4" of paper trying to print out solutions each time I try to get through it.

Uncle O
11-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Well then, it sounds like 12ga......or perhaps a nice .30 caliber, yea, thats the ticket...

saltmine
11-06-2009, 07:33 PM
I had similar codes and crashes last year...but a brand new hard drive cured the problem.

Then my computer got hijacked by a Middle Eastern Viral Malware and I had to build another one....Man, I hated to throw away that brand new hard drive.

gvasale
11-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I've got a new hard drive. And even a $150.00 copy of XP Pro. With a delete
all before install. No odd hardware. The only other thing that bugs me is the USB. The machine is supposed to 2.0, but usually gives the message.."this device can run faster if connected to a High Speed port" How the hell can you select which port is High Speed?

saltmine
11-06-2009, 07:54 PM
How old is the computer? The processor could be going away. The DIMMs (RAM) are where all of the computing takes place. I've seen DIMMs get loose in their sockets, motherboard cracking, and even device cables going bad.

USB is almost the highest of high speed...but today they have SATA ports, and DVI cables.
Could be the computer thinks the device is on a serial port and is suggesting you use a USB....Old USB software will do that, too.

I had to chuckle when I thought about my Mother getting a brand new printer. She called me up and said it won't print. I asked her the usual questions, and finally went over to her house to look at it. Behind the computer was the USB cable, tucked nicely in between two other USB cables, upside down, not even touching the computer.

gvasale
11-06-2009, 08:03 PM
computer is a few years old. Its a P4 3ghz, with all the memory xp will use. and a 500g hd. The only other thing I failed to mention is the HDTV tuner card, which may or may not be installed. It worked fairly well, but would freeze occasionally. The video card was suitable for the tuner card.

I bought a new"whizbang box" a Quad core intel of intermediate performance, but thats got vista, and its not trouble free either. I don't use it much.

tattoomike68
11-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Once a computer is 4 to 10 years old make plans to replace it. its not worth $20 so dump it.

I stoped upgrading computers in 2000, now days you can get a good new one for almost nothing and thats better than spending big bucks fixing old peices of crap.

buy new and fling the old ones in the dump.

gvasale
11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Afraid its not going anywhere. I can't afford to scuttle it. I think its a software issue, but, i'm guessing. There are still to many unresolved issues with vista switching to 7 for me to have to fork out even more cash to go that route, plus the software I really need is not in 64 bit. If you didn't catch it, The Q6600 machine, less than 1 year old cost me $1100.00 with added cd drive and monitor (cheap one). And my most used software won't work properly 'cause the mfgr. will not upgrade to 64 bit(redundant.)

I guess the days of meandering through microsuck swamp is where I'm headed.

Evan
11-06-2009, 09:33 PM
The machine is supposed to 2.0, but usually gives the message.."this device can run faster if connected to a High Speed port" How the hell can you select which port is High Speed?

That is a bug in XP and how it interacts with certain USB controllers. Don't worry about it, the device will still work at full speed if the port really is USB2.0

As for the error code please describe the exact sequence of events that lead to the display of the code and what the screen looks like when it is displayed.

ANother thing, right click on My Computer>properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery/settings

Uncheck "Automatically restart". This will make XP halt at a blue screen of death with the error code that actually caused the problem displayed until you reset the machine.

tattoomike68
11-06-2009, 09:38 PM
rhe box is a good unit , the problem is behind the keyboard.

I see that all the time.

gvasale
11-06-2009, 09:58 PM
what happens is simple. The thing crahses. I don't see the bsod on the xp machine. It just restarts, then shortly after, when I go past the user account screen, I get the This...serious error..blah, blah, blah... send error report, etc.

Sometimes i send, sometimes not. "enentvwr" is opened, and usually the 102/1003 rubbish is there. Sometimes I get software failures, but don't know why. I did learn that Micros..k spyware Windows defender can conflict with Norton.

I have printed out the ms kb/894278 solution, and i think some other too, but its hard for me to follow all the stuff in there. Too many possibilities. So I wonder, if I reload xp pro again and ask it to "repair" Will it work, or do I finally pay for shop service?

gvasale
11-06-2009, 10:10 PM
just disabled the auto restart. And by the way, crashes have been somewhat recent. Not the entire life of the machine. Seems it started after installing the new hard drive with and xp pro.

I do run pc pitstop on occasion, but apparently nothing is forever.

And Mike, I got your "subliminal" message, but the chkdsk and some of the other quick and easy checks don't seem to indicate to me there is a hardware issue. But thanks. I'm no computer genius.

Evan
11-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Write down the codes including the text error messages and the error number codes for the next several crashes. Then post them here and I will look them up.

The stuff in the yellow boxes is what you need to write down.

http://ixian.ca/pics6/bsod.jpg

It may not look exactly the same but I am sure you can figure out what to record.

Peter.
11-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Instant restart is usually a heat issue.
Take the side off the case and check that all of the fans are spinning, particularly the fan on the CPU and video card. If there is a good amount of dust present then check the CPU heatsink isn't clogged up with dust. Also, if the TV tuner card is in the top slot alongside the video card move it to a diffierent slot.

If you want to clean dust from inside your PC use an air-duster or shop air line, or a clean paint brush to brush it to the bottom of the case. Never use a vacuum cleaner to suck dust from any of the components.

Evan
11-07-2009, 08:27 AM
The restart issue in XP was Microsoft's way of dealing with the BSOD problem. Anything that can cause a system crash will by default cause the machine to restart. Heat is only one possibility. Driver problems are a very common issue, especialy video card drivers as well as ram and power supply failures, flaky motherboard filter capacitors, poor line power and a variety of software problems.

saltmine
11-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Evan just hit a very big nail on the head. I can't count the number of times I've seen all manner of computer problems that can be traced back to poor line power. The area where I live is subject to power surges all of the time.
Half of the time we're on the edge of a "brown-out", and the rest of the time we're over-voltage, and spiked. Light bulbs only last a couple of months, here.
I run surge protectors on everything. Computer, printers, TV, stereo, refrigerator, even my power tools. I've seen several incidents where a power surge will almost completely destroy a motherboard....

Once, while visiting a friend, I noticed he had the cover off of his computer. Why? He said it would run longer before it crashed with the cover off. I looked inside and saw the cooling fan turning about 400rpm's....there's yer problem....

ulav8r
11-07-2009, 11:22 AM
That is a bug in XP and how it interacts with certain USB controllers. Don't worry about it, the device will still work at full speed if the port really is USB2.0

It was apparently carried over to Vista too.

darryl
11-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Hmm. Carried over to win 7 as well?

MrSleepy
11-07-2009, 03:55 PM
snap reboots can be caused by lots of things and finding the causes can be quite tiresome

To see if your PC has hardware issues I'd start with a Linux Knoppix disc and see if anything weird happens..Its quite good for giving you a "feel"
as to whether its purely windows related.

I also would goto

http://www.memtest.org/

and test your memory.......good cause of snappers.

The usb system can cause snappers...as anyone with a Compaq evo d51s will know when they add the compaq drivers..

To re-configure you USB system .. goto device manager and uninstall all of the usb devices.. Dont refresh... do a search and delete all the USB*.sys files in the win\system32 dir...then reboot.
Windows will now reinstall the usb files and settings and it usually cures usb snappers.

If you have a VIA chipset there is a Via USB update inf.patch that allows usb2. to function correctly on there earlier chipsets.let me know if yours is via based and I pm you a link to the file from my server.

Rob

gvasale
11-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Last crash just occurred : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop: 0X0000000A,6X00000010,0X00000002,0X00000001,0X8051 78BA

for some reason, on the last series of numbers, there is a gap which shows in the thread, but is missing when I typed them in. 0X805178BA

Evan
11-11-2009, 06:29 AM
The key here is that this has been happening since the fresh install of XP. Normally this would be most likely due to a ram problem. This particular error means that some software tried to access non pageable memory from a process running at too low an Internal Request Level.

First I would do the easiest thing which is to run a ram test as Rob suggested. Download Memtest86 and make a boot CD with it as per instructions. Then run the test and let it run for at least several hours. If anything shows up at all there is a ram problem. Remove and reseat the ram in the slots and run it again. Don't do this first because you want to find the problem, not just make it mysteriously disappear.

If the ram test passes then the next most likely issue is the video card driver. Your new version of XP may well have included a driver version that isn't quite correct for the hardware you have. Download the most recent driver from the manufacturer of the card or the motherboard, whichever is applicable. Install it and then use the system to see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn't resolve the problem you can try following the procedures given in this Microsoft note:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063

cuemaker
11-11-2009, 07:35 AM
As I said long time ago, most likely a memory issue...run memtest...if you have a problem, it should show up in the first 10mins of the test... but the industry standard for the companies that still use memtest86 is 6 passes I believe...that can take some time...

gvasale
11-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Thank you. I have a diagnostic disk from PC Tools magazine. Will that be suitable to use, or just the one specefied? Dialup is slow....

Evan
11-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Use memtest86. The ISO for burning a CD is only 66 kilobytes.

gvasale
11-11-2009, 05:17 PM
AARRGGHHHHHHHH....... 8 hours and counting with the memtest86+ v4.0 and 6 passes are complete with apparently no errors.

i'm on the vista s...box now and that has crashed once today.

checked the eventvwr page. surprise, surprise. since 1-7-09 there are more than 300 errors in WMI event ID 10. WTF?

there were many audit failures in the security listing. not quite as many.

thats the short story with vista.