PDA

View Full Version : Web site shopping carts?

Mike Burdick
10-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Lately I've been thinking about a web site but have a couple of questions? I hope you all don't mind me asking this question on this forum but I have been here for a little over a year and have gotten to respect your opinions.

Is it hard to make an order form that would work for four to five items. It would also have to be able to take credit card information. Hopefully it would make sure the order information was filled in and then show a final invoice so the the customer would be able to see that his order was correct before sending it.

If I need some program to to this can it be written in C or C++? Are there some free programs on the web that might help me out?

Thanks.....Mike

Evan
10-02-2003, 02:32 AM
Mike,

An e-commerce web site is not easy or cheap to set up. Even though you only want to take orders for a few items the concerns are the same.

First, if you are going to actually collect billing info you need a secure server hosted by someone that can handle that and has the required expensive business insurance for that purpose. Insurance for any site that collects personal info has skyrocketed recently.

You need reliable hosting with good security. That is not a given these days.

Shopping cart software is not hard to come by but that is the easiest part. If you are going to accept card numbers you need a merchant account, a verifying service and an order transfer service so that you can actually fill the order. Then you have to deal with the huge amount of CC fraud that is happening.

If you really want/need to take payment details then you would be better off to have a look at the services that someone like Yahoo! offers. You can set up a retail site through them and they take care of the fiddly bits, at a price, of course.

brunneng
10-02-2003, 03:19 AM
Mike-

I was programming that very thing 6 years ago. Now I program for a corp.

Like Evan said, I would use a service that already has everything in place. A yahoo store or a paypal store. Both will have carts, catalogs and credit card processing systems in place.

The pricing can be real cheap, especially compared to what we charged years ago to build everything custom for each customers needs.

mpbush
10-02-2003, 03:29 AM
Mike,

Why go to all that hassle for a few items? Paypal has a universal shopping cart that allows you to use the same payment method as ebay and at the same time accept credit cards.

When I revise my website, I am going to use paypal as my shopping cart. I have bought things from sites that use it and it is clean and well thought out.

Michael

Jeffery71
10-02-2003, 06:13 PM
I have used this shopping cart system. It is fairly easy to setup. Has templates that you use. and is very affordable. Worth checking out. They also do website hosting and it is very affordable I feel

http://imagiforce.com/shop/index.htm

Jeff

Evan
10-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Mike,

Make sure you read the FAQ on that site. You still need to pay for a verifying service seperately as well as pay for the SSH option yearly. As well, the shopping cart script does not belong to you, it stays on their server. I think you would be better off to use one of the all inclusive services like Yahoo! or PayPal.

Also, if you go with imagiforce then you assume all liability for cc fraud and personal info protection. If are thinking of doing that best check with your insurance broker first as well as your hosting service.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-02-2003).]

CCWKen
10-02-2003, 09:44 PM
It's so simple to implement PayPal's shopping cart, I don't see how other's can compete. Best of all, there's no up-front costs. Pay as you go--just like a merchant account.

Mike Burdick
10-02-2003, 11:17 PM
I'm going with the PayPal shopping cart. Looks like the best way to go for me.

Although this topic probably wasn't the best for this forum I knew I could count on getting some good advice from all of you.

Thanks, I am very appreciative of your time and help.

Mike Burdick

Mike Burdick
10-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Have any of you used PayPal's shopping cart in your web site - if so, do they offer technical help?

I put it in, simple enough, but now need to test it to see if calculations are correct without going thru a transaction. There must be a way.

Since they are so BIG I though they would have a place for technical support - phone number, email address, something! No Way!

Maybe I'm just tired from sitting in front of the computer most of the night so they may be okay. I'll reserve my judgement of them until I find out for sure.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

Evan
10-04-2003, 02:16 PM
Go to this link:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ipn-test-about-outside

Mike Burdick
10-05-2003, 12:18 AM
Thanks, thanks, thanks, Evan!

Mike