PDA

View Full Version : Vertex 12" rotary table and MT4

bob ward
11-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Used a 4MT to 3MT sleeve in a 12" Vertex rotab for the first time today and was surprised to see that the end of the sleeve stands 30mm / 1.2" proud of the table. The table is deep enough to accommodate the full length of the sleeve.

All I can see here is unnecessary loss of real estate when the table is used horizontally, but then I'm not an experienced rotab user. Is there a useful reason why the end of the sleeve should be 30mm proud of the table?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff28/sirrobertthegood/IMG_0023_2.jpg

Davo J
11-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Im not sure, but it might be to align fixtures such as chucks etc. I noticed that as well on my 12inch table before I took it back (too heavy)and got a 10 inch. The 10 inch also the protrudes the same even though it has a MT3.
Dave

wbleeker
11-09-2009, 11:38 PM
If you need the extra room Bob, the bush in the centre will punch out and you can make another to suit, I know you shouldn't have to but I suppose you would pay a lot more for a better brand of rotab.
Will

Hayworthmilling
11-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Maybe to add clearance? Might not matter for a BP with an 3" quill, but maybe for a larger machine.

Chip Hayworth

oldtiffie
11-10-2009, 03:20 AM
Bob,

I had a similar problem with my 4MT taper in my lathe when I wanted to mount a 3MT ER-32 collet chuck in it.

I got a lathe/machine sleeve from Total Tools here in Victoria. It was not a TT stock item. It was about 3>5 years ago. I will try and find the details of the supplier that one of the TT staff put me onto. I hope I can find it. It works really well. I think it relied on a draw-bar for the collet adaptor - which is good practice anyway.