PDA

View Full Version : Glacern mills

Bill McLeod
11-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I bought 2 mills (1"& 2 1/2") from them about 3 weeks ago and now have used them some.
I would say they are nicely made, work well and are good value. As I am in Canada they came with just tax owing no duty, I like that.

Black_Moons
11-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Is that thier indexable endmills or face mills?

How common are the inserts they use anyway? iv read that one problem with indexable mill tooling is like lathe tooling they have a ton of diffrent inserts, only more often tools use less standard or even propritary shaped inserts only made by one or two manufactures

Boucher
11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
The inserts are standard not proprietary. One is avaliable from Kennametal and Carbide Depot. They are 18% less than Carbide Depot and 47% less than Kennametal directly from Glacern. The other insert came from Koroy (Korean) I didn't have the prices to compare that one. I currently have not run these but am looking forward to trying them. After crashing some carbide mills recently, I am hoping the cost of my learning exercises is soon to be diminished.

Black_Moons
11-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Boucher: Heheh. small tip on the insert tooling if you are new to it, NEVER stop the spindle midcut or the inserts chip, At least, on a lathe I know it does. also sometimes carbide can be too dull to effectively take really fine finishing cuts, so you may need to leave a few mils (like 0.010") for a single finishing pass and get it right the first time in some materials.