PDA

View Full Version : Machining 1050 steel

terry_g
11-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I stopped by one of the local welding machine shops yesterday looking for a piece of 1" shaft to for the keyway cutter I am building. I left with a 3' length of 1050 1" precision shaft.
How hard is this steel? It rings like a bell if I tap it with a brass hammer. Will it be a problem to cut with a high speed steel end mill?

Thanks
Terry

agrip
11-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Terry

If you can easily file it, you can machine it.

Part of the "fun" is learning how to anticipate and then to manage different characteristics. Both of work and cutter, and come to think about it, the machine tool available as well.

If you are just starting, - - - DON'T try to climb mill that shaft.

Hth Ag

camdigger
11-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Machinability will vary with heat treat. Precision shafting may be prehardened with a ground finish. Annealling it would be no big deal. Build a hotdog roasting fire and cook a tube steak or two and throw your stock in the embers. Leave overnight in the bed of hot coals... Remove and descale after the stock is cool to the touch.

terry_g
11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
The 1050 cut quite nicely I sawed off 7" in my band saw faced both ends drilled and bored a 5/8" bore 1" deep in one end and drilled and tapped it for a set screw then I machined two flats on the other end and cross drilled it for the linkage.
I will post pictures of the keway cutter when it's done.

Terry

DR
11-12-2009, 08:52 AM
.................................................. .....

looking for a piece of 1" shaft to for the keyway cutter I am building. I left with a 3' length of 1050 1" precision shaft.
.................................................. ...

Terry,

Not clear here, is the 1" shaft to be used in building a keyway cutting machine? Or, is the actual cutter to be made of the 1" shafting.

If the latter, I don't think it was a good choice of material. Get tool steel for the cutter if this is the case.