PDA

View Full Version : Ejector installation

patty boy
11-11-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm building up a legal rifle that uses a heavy wall tube for the receiver, the main body of the gun.

The ejector is a thin strip of metal on the inside of the tube that kicks the spent case out of the gun as the bolt moves back after firing. In my case it also serves as a guide for the bolt. The ejector is a thin strip of metal (1/16" thick) about two inches long. A long edge of the strip projects into the interior of the tube about 1/8".

The ejector mounting location is accessible from the outside, and somewhat from the inside of the tube through the ejection port.

Question: How can I install the ejector in a manner that would give me a little movement for adjustment, and would make it possible to replace the ejector if it gets broken? The tube wall is about 0.3" thick.

The installation should be neat from the outside, as it will be exposed.

My first inclination was to mill a slot through the tube wall, slip the ejector into the slot and weld it in place. The tube would then be turned back down to size. The downside of this is the lack of adjustability and the impossibility of replacing a broken ejector.

Any ideas?

I have a mill and a fairly complete shop. Any suggestions appreciated.

psomero
11-11-2009, 01:27 PM
got any pictures or drawings?

38_Cal
11-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Either pin it in place (you've get enough wall thickness) or make it in a sideways "T" shape, with tabs ahead of and behind the interior portion, and screw it in place to a flat milled on the outside.

GNO
11-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I bought a .22 autoloader BAD ejection problems looked at it again & again seen a long pocket w/ an enlarged end. Then the light started to glow it was piece about a inch&a half long & a 90 degree bend where it rode in a slot in the bolt to kick the empty. A piece could be made in a similar fashion.