PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Mill

frbush
10-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Is it worth the trouble and effort to put leveling pads under a vertical mill? I relocated my mill a couple of feet from the original location and I now have uneven footing. How about the vibaration damping type?

darryl
10-06-2003, 02:23 AM
I don't think it's absolutely required to level a mill, but I would do it, if only so I don't keep seeing the tilt. I do think you should try to get each foot carrying it's share of the weight, for a more stabe footing. If you mean leveling in the same terms as with a lathe, for most accurate machining possible, hmm. That's a good question, one I haven't seen touched on here.

BFHAMR
10-06-2003, 08:35 AM
I have a customer that does machining on heads. He wanted his machine level for setup purposes. He would throw a head on and use a level to get the head parallel with the machine travels.

Dan

frbush
10-06-2003, 12:17 PM
I think I'm going to level it better and see what happens. One of my reasons for asking is that I suddenly an experiencing a small amount of Y axis lead screw binding that has never been there before. I checked the lead screw for possible chips but it is clean and well oiled and bright as a new nickel. The mill is a 3HP Varispeed from Enco which I purchased new in 1986 (pre Chinese days) and has only been used for tinkering projects so basically it is in like new condition. The binding has appeared since I sled it over a few feet and got it on uneven concrete. If you think of anything else post a reply.
Thanks guys

darryl
10-06-2003, 01:23 PM
I think you got your best clue with the binding that suddenly appeared when the thing was moved. It's twisted the base somwwhat, now it needs leveling. I got to thinking about this, and here's what I would do to start (after making sure the ways are cleaned, nothing there to bind). Loosen off the x axis gibs, then see is the table is free to rock at all. It will be able to rotate slightly with the gib loose, but if it rocks at all, apply the leveling to the feet to eliminate that completely. You may actually have to clean the lube from the ways to detect this. A good excuse to clean and relube the parts anyway, and check the condition of the screw, nut and bearings. If you don't want to go to this much trouble, just try to ensure that each foot is carrying it's share of the load, that should get you back to normal. You may only have to deal with the two front feet, as the rear will carry more of the weight anyway, and may be best to leave these alone, unless there's a noticeable lean to the whole thing.