PDA

View Full Version : Asong powerfeed problem.

ScottyM
11-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I have an Asong power feed on the X axis of my Bridgeport that has gone south on me. It has always had a very limited usable range, only good in the zero to two range. Anything else was too fast. But lately I have no speed at all in the zero to two range, and then slightly above two, it all of a sudden jumps into the rapid traverse speed. Obviously this make it useless except as a rapid traverse. My only quess is a bad potentiometer, but I'm a long, long way from being very electrically proficient.

Have any of you experienced somthing similar with these Chinese powerfeeds?

Thanks,
Scotty

Bill Pace
11-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Yes, I'm afraid so .... I had 2 failures - the exact thing youre describing! On one I disassembled it and using a pot I had in my 'junk' drawer reassembled it and while doing a bench test with it loosely laying on the bench it seemed to have fixed it, but I kept messing with it too long and somehow managed to let the circuit board touch 'something' and it let a lot of smoke out:eek:-- so. I put it in file 13 and bought another unit.

The other I bought a pot from Bestline prod and aside from it not seeming to correct the problem, they sent the pot without a nut and it was a size I still havent found a fit for! I also replaced that unit and havent had any more problems with the 3 units I have, in the last year or so

http://www.bestlinepro.com/power-feed-parts.asp

There was some talk about a year or so ago (my problems were about that long ago -- how old is your unit?) that seemed to indicate there was a bad batch of circuit boards put out that would blow the pot and the board would need to be replaced also.... Yours is the first Ive heard of in some time -- seemingly they had corrected the prob?? maybe not??

mattm
11-11-2009, 08:59 PM
yep, bad pot. I had the same thing happen to me. Bought a new pot at Radio Shack. If I remember right I had to shorten the shaft on the new pot. Works fine now.

matt

ScottyM
11-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Bill, mine is about two years old.

Matt, prior to changing out your pot, were you experiencing the same reduced range of speeds all down in the lower numbers? Di d changing it make a difference? Do you have any recollection what kind or size you used?

Thanks guy.

ScottM

mattm
11-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Mine was working fine, then started doing similar to what you describe. It would be ok at really slow (between 0 and 1) if you went past that it would go to rapid traverse speed. I think mine got cooked in a lightning storm. When I pulled the bad pot apart you could see a small scorch on the film.

I think it was a 10k pot.

After changing out the pot it worked like new.

matt