PDA

View Full Version : Tool Insight Needed

TGTool
11-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I've just recently learned that Sunnen has an external hone that might be a very useful item on some occasions. They've got a pdf of the thing and associated tooling at http://www.sunnen.com/graphics/assets/documents/5f74c694ddff.pdf

There are a couple features of it that I can't quite figure out and aren't clear from their documentation. I hope someone here has some experience or some useful guesses.

1) For size adjustment it has a calibrated screw, which is about what one would expect, but on the opposite (nut?) side they show a "Control Lever" and "Stop Pin". I presume this is so one can make a setting on the micrometer end and come up to a stop, but there might be another better explanation.

2) The stone(s) and guide shoes are on backplates and can be repositioned for gross size changes, but the drawing of the tool shows two "Lock Screws" behind each backplate, one centered and one towards an end. This puzzles me. To pull the backplates home only one screw would be necessary and centered would be most logical. Might the offcenter screw be serving as a jack screw to tilt or raise the backplate slightly within the slot clearance?

The floor is open for insight or speculation.

Jan

Glenn Wegman
11-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I use them on a regular basis, mainly the FB and FC sizes.

Yes, the lever can be used to "feed" to the stop whis is set by the graduated knob. Only probem is that the stone wears too, so the stop is sort of useless when honing a number of parts to size. It's far easier to just make a visual note of the arm position and make slight adjustments as the stone wears or you are constantly re-setting the stop. The knob is graduated in thousandths also, so it is not very acurate as far as honing goes.

There are two set screws that secure the stome plates. The one closest to the edge gets tightened and secures the plate. The center one only gets lightly snugged up as it just supports the stone plate from deflecting.

TGTool
11-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I use them on a regular basis, mainly the FB and FC sizes.

Yes, the lever can be used to "feed" to the stop whis is set by the graduated knob. Only probem is that the stone wears too, so the stop is sort of useless when honing a number of parts to size. It's far easier to just make a visual note of the arm position and make slight adjustments as the stone wears or you are constantly re-setting the stop. The knob is graduated in thousandths also, so it is not very acurate as far as honing goes.

There are two set screws that secure the stome plates. The one closest to the edge gets tightened and secures the plate. The center one only gets lightly snugged up as it just supports the stone plate from deflecting.

Ah, thanks. Useful information. Does the center screw then press against the back of the plate for support?

Glenn Wegman
11-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Yes, it should just press against the plate lightly as not to flex the plate.

Just a little tip...

If you plan on honing different diameters in the same size range, use different stones and shoes, and keep them matched up.(for recurring jobs) You will get excellent results once the stone wears enough that it "fits" the shaft. New stones, and stones worn to a different dia are difficult to get accurate results until worn in. (trued)