PDA

View Full Version : Lucky strike!

wierdscience
10-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Welp,it happened for the second time in 14 years Friday,I was grinding and one piece of metal got in through the side vent and dead centered my cornea!ouch@&*$!#@%&,nobody open at docs office,emergency room out of question,so I waited till morning and got my eye doctor on the phone,went down and she picked it out and ground the rust out with a die grinder,I'm doing fine now,but man she said take it easy(don't do anything) for the rest of the weekend,man what a bummer,all I got to do is sit around and think about what I want to do,sucks.

I wonder what the probibility of after 14 years worth of what has to be billions of sparks and chips that only two have made it through is?

ibewgypsie
10-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Me too Wierd.. I had my saftey glasses on my head, Hit the weld I had just done with a large hammer. Right into my eye, large piece of slag. After a couple of hours it worked onto my eyelid and off the eyeball. I wiped it right out. A folded new dollar bill makes a good scoop too. Someone else has to operate it thou. I am not sure I trust anyone that much. I don't even like the doctors to touch my eyes.

Later that night I had to do a tattoo all while squinching.

I am soo much more careful.

It was caused by DIRTY SAFETEY GLASSES I pushed up to see what I was doing. I have no way to clean them in the shop.

Thrud
10-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Weird

When I used our Gallant belt grinder I wore my safety boots. My foot was below the 4" wide belt and I used my weight to add a "little" pressure to get teh job doen faster. At night I would go home, strip and take a shower. Aterwards the bottoms of my feet felt like pin cushions - you got it metal slivers! I used an old straight razor to shave the bottoms on my feet - it felt much better after than. My quack surmized that the grinding sparks passed through the safety boots leather tops and did not quite make it out of my foot. This had a ring of truth to it as the insides of my boots "rusted out" later in the summer.

BFHAMR
10-05-2003, 06:32 PM
I wasn't so lucky. Twenty years ago in a past life as a farmer I found myself attempting to remove a bearing race from a shaft on the hay baler. I was using a hammer and punch. After several good whacks I felt something hit my eye. There was no pain but I had a funny bubble which appeared in my vision. A trip to the emergency room confirmed that a small chip of metal had pierced my eye went through the retina and was lodged in the back of the eyeball. Fortunately I had one of the best doctors in the country working on my eye. It took two operations and several months of healing but they were able to save the eye. Vision is poor in that eye, I can read the second line of the eye chart, but I still have some depth perception.

The irony is that I had purchased safety glasses two weeks earlier. I had every intention of wearing them but just forgot.

I've never forgotten since.

Dan

Shed Machinist
10-05-2003, 07:46 PM
Now, this may sound bad, but it was not my fault.

My friends are always going up to me, when i don't know and i am grinding or drilling. One day i was drilling in some steel and i didn't know that my friend came up behind me. I had told them the day before were ikept an extra pair of safety google if i was grindeing or drilling, and a hood if i was welding. He got a pretty good chip in his eye and i hade to get it out for him. I don't think it was too good for him cause then he had soluable oil in it too. But he was fine.

wierdscience
10-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Thats a good thing to know Shed,I wear my safty glasses even if I'm not working,just walking trough a shop where other people are working can be a hazard.

lynnl
10-06-2003, 06:30 PM
I don't have one, but a full face shield worn over safety glasses would offer another layer of protection. Yeah, I know it would be a nuisance (...why I don't use one), but might someday make the difference in saving an eye. I tell myself I'd wear one if I was doing machining full time. But I'm not sure I believe me.

BFHAMR
10-06-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm always amazed at the commercial shops that don't require safety glasses.

I've watched toolmakers surface grinding without glasses.

Dan

Tony
10-06-2003, 07:57 PM
i've gotten to the point where i were my safety glasses to bed. and in the shower. i no longer trust the outside world.

i think my eyeballs are magnetic.
they can pull a sliver right out of a car axle 3 yards away.

me and my eyedoctor are best friends.
its a friendship that (thankfully) has been slowly disappearing.

ibew is right, nothing better at getting slivers out than a crisp bill. dont know why, paper won't work. has to be money.

sometimes, when i weld sideways, spatter gets into my ear. god i hate that. most people have never seen a grown man dance so wildly.

make a habit out of wearing the safety glasses.

i have a trophy pair hanging on the wall with a 1/4" long sliver sticking in the plastic, dead center. doesnt take much convincing for the visitors when they see that.

-knucklehead

gamachinist
10-06-2003, 08:05 PM
ibew,
I keep a bottle of window cleaner in the shop to keep my spec's clean.
To all,a strong magnet works wonders for a piece of rust or scale in an eye and may even pull out a sliver (I think eye doc's try this first then go on to more serious tools).
Robert.

Alistair Hosie
10-06-2003, 08:28 PM
the best thing Shed young man is to keep your friends out of the shop when your working if they are a nuisance. I was once working with my saw putting small thin pieces of wood through it when my wife walked in behind me, she new better that to make a sound and startle me so when I turned round slightly and caught her from the corner of my eye I jumped and nearly took of a few fingers needless to say we discussed the matter and she now waits outside before entering if she can hear the saw running. Alistair

Alistair Hosie
10-06-2003, 08:46 PM
see these
http://www.safteng.net/Accident%20Photos/Table%20Saw%20Hand%20Amputation.htm

http://www.safteng.net/Accident%20Photos/Table%20Saw%20Hand%20Injury.htm

Evan
10-06-2003, 09:00 PM
Thanks a bunch Alistair. Now I have to go grocery shopping.

Alistair Hosie
10-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Sorry bud do you need a hand? your pal Al http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Cass
10-06-2003, 11:17 PM
I used to work in a government laboratory that had a lot of machining operations and a lot of dangerous processes. There was extreme emphasis on safety with weekly, monthly and quarterly safety meetings each with larger audiences and fancier and longer speakers, films etc. You got immediate and fairly severe criticism for not having your safety glasses on in the labs or machine shops. After years of living in that environment the safety indoctrination must have rubbed off and I am known as a safety kind of guy by my employees. In my shop I have a pair of safety glasses stored on top of the blade of the table saw. Another pair of safety glasses stored on the table of the drill press and still another on the table of the band saw and another on the chuck of the lathe and on the bench grinder. There is probably another 4 pair just sitting around. Since I am the only user of the machinery in that shop it works for me to put the safety glasses on the machines where they have to be moved before operating the machine. I buy the kind with side covers and I buy the more expensive plastic type that actually are comfortable. Safety glasses have gotten a lot more stylish in the past 4-5 years in an effort to get workers to be more agreeable to wearing them and I now occasionally see guys wearing the cool semi dark glass style with the colored frames even when they are going out to lunch. With rubber pads and nice frames they pretty nice. One thing to mention about chips in the eye; steel chips are nicer than aluminum or wood because a magnet can get them even when the doc can't see them. Probably wood splnters are the worst because not only are they non-magnetic but they rapidly become moisture saturated and loose their color and can become almost invisible after a while. They can be extremely difficult to find and it is no fun to provide feedback to some doctor who is guided in his poking around by how loud you scream. I have a couple plastic face shields for when I am handling acid or other nasty chemicals such as cyanide solutions and when I am using a wood lathe. The face shield is also useful when operating a wide stationary belt sander if the belt disconnects suddenly.

crossthreaded
10-07-2003, 01:29 AM
wierdscience,
I've taken several welding classes at the local junior college. They insist that you wear safety glasses under your welding goggles or helmet. Untill I read your thread I had thought that was kind of overdoing it. 'Guess I learned one more useful thing on this site.

abn
10-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Every once in a while Rutland Tool (Airgas) has sales on quality brand safety glasses...glasses that normally go for $3.50 to $9.00 go on sale for $1.50~$3.00 (usually clear lenses only (I wonder how many people are working inside w/ shades?). I make it a point to buy 5 or 6 pair when this happens and always have one or two pristine glasses available. As they get dirty or scratched they get retired to lawn work and then to the trash or I let my kids play with them. Dirty safety glasses are an abomination.

Grinding sucks, I need to get a couple full face masks when they come up on sale...Ebay?

Alistair, thanks for the pictures. We ought to start a horror story of the week thread...Sheesh, at least the Lathe Operator in Evan's last horror post took the time to cut off his own arm, darn sawyer just let the machine do all the work. What ever happened to craftmanship and taking the time to "hand finish" a job. (abn knocks on whatever wood he can find and prays for forgiveness for making light of such situations...)