PDA

View Full Version : How did you guys elevate the lathe to the stand???

Uman
10-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Now that I got my new Grizzly G4002 lathe out of the Uhaul truck to the garage floor, how do I elevate that 1000# beast to the stand? I figure I can elevate the lathe by incrementing up a platform made out of 2 x 4's. I am not sure how to transition it over to the stand. How did you guys to it?
Jeff

INTERPOLATE
10-05-2003, 03:08 PM
I rented a engine crane..

bdarin
10-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Took mine apart...

Bruce Griffing
10-05-2003, 03:59 PM
I recently put my 700 pound mill drill up on the stand. I built two A-frames out of 2x6 and connected them at the top with a double 2x6. I used a lot of smaller dimension lumber for bracing, including a long piece to stabilize the base of the A. I then used the center point of the crosspiece to suspend a come along. The come along lifted the mill nicely.

mpbush
10-05-2003, 05:42 PM
If possible, manuever the lathe to the place it will sit and lift it there, then slide the table underneath it and lower it onto the table.

Moving the A frame with a 1K lbs of weight makes one hell of a battering ram!

I have a friend who sells cars and I saw him lift a car, strapped to a pallet with our forklift (a little Geo metro) and rather than back the flatbed under it as we suggested, he tried to manuever the forklift to the flatbed truck. He made it about 2/3 of the way when it slid off the forks, did a half roll and landed on the roof about half way onto the flatbad. Needless to say, it wasn't even fit for midgets after that...it still isn't funny to him but we couldn't stop laughing for months.

Michael

G.A. Ewen
10-05-2003, 07:08 PM
GET HELP, even if you have to hire it. Don't take any chances, if you drop it you will be forever sorry. If your ceiling is strong enough consider installing a rail and trolley, it can be used later to lift heavy work onto the lathe or for changing chucks.

Spin Doctor
10-05-2003, 07:25 PM
I know when I finally break down and buy a lathe and mill and can't use the machines at work during lunch any more I'll position the machines under the re-enforcing beam in the basement and hang a chain fall on it

Alistair Hosie
10-05-2003, 07:56 PM
I once lifted a very heavy wood lathe onto a pre-set concrete base I had moulded and cast for it, by using a car jack and lifting it half an inch at a time then placing wooden sheets under it at each end, one side half an inch then the other side and so on. When it was high enough I slipped the concrete base under the base and lowered it in a reverse fashion worked great. I lifted about half a ton by myself this way, wife watched in amazement. This will of course not be suitable for all lathes but with a bit of ingenuity it could may be adapted to suit Alistair

Bruce Griffing
10-05-2003, 09:01 PM
mpbush-
I did not move the A frame. I lifted the mill and moved the stand underneath the A frame. I would not recommend moving a double A frame with a machine tool hanging from it. My shop built stand has wheels and jacks so I can move it and level it.

Evan
10-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Go with Alistair's method. It is how the Egyptians built the pyramids.

SteveC
10-05-2003, 10:37 PM
When I bought my 12x36 Harbor Freight, I went ahead a bought an engine crane also. It cost about $170. I have used it several times, so I guess it has paid for it self in rental fees, and now I have it forever.

Steve

mpbush
10-06-2003, 02:57 AM
Bruce,

I wasn't commenting on your post at all. I just figured an A frame or engine hoist was what most people would use and wanted to pass along some hot air and a funny/tragic story.

Michael

abn
10-06-2003, 03:01 AM
Engine hoist was my method as well...

G.A. Ewen
10-06-2003, 08:29 AM
Here is an inexpencive way to build a rail and trolley. The rail is for a garage door. The trolley uses the wheels for the garage door and 24" of 2" square tubing to distribute the weight more evenly.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/GAEWEN/32a61a19.jpg

SGW
10-06-2003, 10:57 AM
You could rent a section of pipe scaffolding, put a heavy beam across the top, and hang a come-along from it to pick up the lathe.

I find it helps, when estimating whether something is going to be strong enough, to translate the weight into X people. For 1000 pounds, that would be about 6 people: "Would this hold 6 people?" Easier to visualize than "Would this hold 1000 pounds?"

NAMPeters
10-06-2003, 01:47 PM
I converted a Hein-Werner 1000# capacity lift to a knockdown version by replacing the bolted connections with tractor style pins. It works great for retreiving and setting up machinery and idle apparatus. Small enough to fit through most doors while rolling things to or from their location. Knock it down, toss in back of peekup and off we go.

------------------
Neil Peters

Paul Alciatore
10-07-2003, 02:07 AM
I was smart/cheap/lucky enough to buy a lathe that came apart easily (South Bend 9). Each piece was easily lifted into place. I did it all by myself in complete safety.

The mill-drill was another story. It weighs about 650 lbs and was rolled into place with pipe, lifted with a rented engine hoist, and the stand was slid under it. I had about four other guys helping and they all were greatly appreciated.

If you can't take it apart, be sure to carefully plan each operation, get/rent appropriate equipment, and make sure no one gets in a position where they can be hurt even it something breaks. Rented equipment may have been overstressed and weakened by a previous user.

Save the beer for after the work is done.

Paul Gauthier
10-07-2003, 08:13 AM
I let John Deere do it, he's stronger than I am.

------------------
Paul G.

Forrest Addy
10-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Every home machine shop needs some minimum lifting equipment. I always suggest a 1 ton chain hoist and several lengths of 1/2 of 5/8 maypole braid nylon rope - 10 ft is a convenient length (melt the ends to prevent fraying).

With every lifting apparatus you need a point to lift from. In a small home shop with open trusses this is easy - use a 4 ft 8" length of 4 x 6. Champhered the ends about 30 degrees to make sliding the timber from here to there easy. The 4 ft + length will bridge enough chords to distribute the load over several trusses to make safe lifting.

If, alas, you have an enclosed shop your choices are engine hoists, a lifting horse (a sawhorse looking thing barely wide enough to span your machines and tall enough to come within 2" of the ceiling, or build a bridge crane.

Ever notice how buying one little machine tool starts a whole succession of "gotta haves"?

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 10-07-2003).]