X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steelmaster
    • Jun 2009

Combination drawbar tool

Too hot to do anything too strenuous in the shed today, 6th consecutive day over 35 and we're still in spring

I seem to be always looking for either a spanner or a mallet when I have to do up or undo the drawbar on both my 9x20 metal lathe and my X2 Mini Mill.

As luck would have it, they both take the same spanner, 18mm, so I came up with the idea of incorporating the 18mm socket in the mallet.

Used a cut off handle from a ratchet wrench that no longer works (cheap cr*p!) and a bit of 30mm 360 brass.

Works like a charm, now I can only lose one toll, not 2!

Edit Jan 18 2011: Recently bought a DM45 mill and as luck would have it this tool also fits the 7/16 drawbar on it.

Last edited by Steelmaster; 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM.
  • danlb
    • Nov 2008

Really slick and a great idea.

Thanks, now I need to make one.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• tumutbound
      • Aug 2009

Nice one!
      I should make one of these, I have no end of cheap broken socket sets lying around.
      Now if I can just find some brass....
      Regards
      Geoff
      My place.

Comment

• Black_Moons
        • Aug 2009

how did you get the socket in there?
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• oldtiffie
          • Nov 1999

'ere 'tiz

Originally posted by tumutbound
          Nice one!
          I should make one of these, I have no end of cheap broken socket sets lying around.
          Now if I can just find some brass....
          Tried the Navy?

Comment

• Black_Moons
            • Aug 2009

Nah he wants solid brass, Not brass with massive pockets throughout of hot air.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• oldtiffie
              • Nov 1999

Sort of

Which I meant (sort of) the balls (mainly iron - sometimes brass) on the (always/mostly) "brass monkey" - but not when its cold!!!

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                • Dec 2004

Nicely done. I'll either have to break down and make one myself or break the legs off the wrench I use for the same purpose as I can never find it
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• Lew Hartswick
                  • Aug 2002

All you folks that use a socket on mill draw bars are either 7 ft tall
                  or have short mills. I'm 5' 8" and on a Bridgeport I have to stand
                  on tip toes to use an open end on the draw bar.
                  ...lew...

Comment

• datsun280zxt
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                    All you folks that use a socket on mill draw bars are either 7 ft tall
                    or have short mills. I'm 5' 8" and on a Bridgeport I have to stand
                    on tip toes to use an open end on the draw bar.
                    ...lew...
                    I know exactly how you feel, I have a mighty comet and I'm 5'7" and it's tippy toes every time. I have a buddy that comes over from time to time that uses the mill as well and he's right at an inch shorter than me. He swears that every time I tell him to loosen the draw bar I'm cracking some sort of "short joke" lol. One of these days I'll break down and get a power draw bar setup.

Comment

• Lew Hartswick
                      • Aug 2002

We have a (on loan) 2 step "ladder" :-) but I daresent leave it out in
                      the shop or some student would wreck it. Maybe I'll build a short
                      wooden step. What OSHA troubles might I run into though if some
                      kid falls of it. :-)
                      ...lew...

Comment

Working...
                      X