PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade Advice

jbacc
11-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Good Evening,

I just bought a Rockwell 7V Horizontal Bandsaw from a nice fellow on CL. The saw takes 95 1/2" x 1/2" blades. While I can find a vendor to make the exact size I was wondering if a 96" standard size blade would work? Seems that better deals and more selection is to be had in that size.

Thanks in advance for the advice, I appreciate it.

Joe..

tdkkart
11-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Or a 95", McMaster lists both 7'11" and 8'. Take a look at it and see what will fit.

The thing to remember with band saw blades is that 3 $10 blades are not equal to 1 $30 blade. Go for a quality blade and you will have less problems.

I like Mcmaster's bi-metal variable pitch(anti-vibration) blades.

jbacc
11-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I will certainly buy quality blades as you suggested. Just trying to figure out which size. On a horizontal bandsaw, what thickness blade is optimal? McMaster Carr gives you the option of .020, .025 or ,035 thick blades.

agrip
11-15-2009, 05:47 PM
The length you saw will take, depends on how much tension wheel travel you have or care to arrange.

Modifying for more travel lets you cut/ break the blade and reconnect a few times, without too much profanity leaking out. Murphy's law and all of that.

Hth Ag

fishfrnzy
11-15-2009, 05:54 PM
I have the same saw. Go for the .025 thick, I think they cut a little faster. Lennox diemaster 10/14 tooth held up the best for me. I just have them made to the right size for 20-25 bucks each. If you dont push them really hard they'll cut ALOT of metal befor they loose teeth.

jbacc
11-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks, may I ask where you get your blades from? Thanks again.

Joe...

darryl
11-15-2009, 07:08 PM
The wheels on my 4 x 6 are just over 7 inches in diameter. A .025 thick blade ends up cracked in probably a few hundred spots before one of them lets go. A .020 thick blade doesn't do this- I end up losing it for other reasons. An even thinner blade is too flimsy for my style of usage, so the optimal blade for me is .020 thick.

I did some testing of the flexibility of the various blades, and compared the curve which the blades could easily bend to with the diameter of the bandsaw wheels. This supports the conclusion that I came to.

When forming a section of blade into an arc, it can be felt that it will bend to a certain point easily. If the resultant arc is tighter than required to go on your wheels, it should be fine. If it has to be forced to make that radius, - well the answer to blade thickness is right there.

fishfrnzy
11-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Joe,
I bough them from Rocky Mountain Sawblades in Denver because I could pick them up and return if they broke, and they have a good local reputation( no affiliation). If you live in any Metro area there should be a couple saw blade suppliers to service all the machine and fab shops in your area.