PDA

View Full Version : Question for the UK members

ckalley
11-16-2009, 11:06 AM
I came across this at work.... from a company in the UK. They specify a 13.6 pitch gear. I looked at a bunch of references and can't find any thing in module or customary sizes that are even close. Any one got an idea?? Thanks

Craig

Timleech
11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I came across this at work.... from a company in the UK. They specify a 13.6 pitch gear. I looked at a bunch of references and can't find any thing in module or customary sizes that are even close. Any one got an idea?? Thanks

Craig

What's it in? is it something exotic where every micron of space has to be used to best advantage, justifying tooling up for a 'special'? Or just an instance of being awkward so you have to go back to the makers for replacements?

Just a thought, is the physical size right for a gear between 13 & 14 DP? Or is there a chance it's an old design & actually misread 13/16" Circular pitch (quite big, about 7 Module)?

Tim

oil mac
11-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Craig,
Of hand without going through my textbooks, I also find this a little bit of a puzzle, It sounds to me to very much be a non standard item, Do they specify metric or imperial measurement? If it is circular pitch, which is sometime just referred to in old drawings as say 2"pitch, i could understand, If that is the case 13.6 would be a humungous size of tooth, I dread to think the dia of the gear would be :eek:
Could it be a mistake in communications? can you ask them for guidance

ckalley
11-16-2009, 12:41 PM
oil-mac
The trouble is I'm dealing with sales people and buyers (purchasing agents). No help there....
From what I understand it's something on a rail car. I was given a drawing of a wheel with slots plunged thru the OD that are aprox. 6mm wide. I can't figure where the 13.6 comes from....
Thanks
Craig

Timleech
11-16-2009, 01:00 PM
oil-mac
The trouble is I'm dealing with sales people and buyers (purchasing agents). No help there....
From what I understand it's something on a rail car. I was given a drawing of a wheel with slots plunged thru the OD that are aprox. 6mm wide. I can't figure where the 13.6 comes from....
Thanks
Craig

So is it an actual (involute) gear, or something different? Any ideas on OD or number of teeth?

Tim

John Stevenson
11-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Probably a dyslectic designer who meant 316 stainless ?

David De'ath
11-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Probably a dyslectic designer who meant 316 stainless ?

John, please remember that dyslexics are teople poo