PDA

View Full Version : thought for todays H.S.M.

oil mac
11-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Thought for the guys on the forum,
Recent thread showed the old cine-images of the work of the British model engineers, in the fifties, From this images of a past age, when money was a lot less plentiful, it would seem the little Myford ML7 was in the workshop, the pride &joy of its owner,in the U.K. I would imagine over the pond in the U.S.A. &Canada, at that period in time, the South Bend or similar size of lathe would be the preferred workhorse
Now times have moved on, generally speaking --- Now the question, Is the average home shop guy, better equiped, has he more ex industrial machines, and does he do betterwork, Also, Is his production rates greater as regards output of mechanical products, Last but not least, Is he, a lot more, or less resourceful in problem solving?

Circlip
11-18-2009, 07:50 AM
What a flamin can of worms you've hit with that one Mac.:D

When you look at some of the creations that were on show back into the thirties on the M/E scene it REALLY makes you wonder. No DRO's, CNC, t'internet, Fleebay and a perceived THIRST for knowledge and britches arse development.

We got it SO easy today.

Regards Ian.

Peter N
11-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I'd echo Ians sentiment entirely, and you donlt even have to go back that far.

So much back then was done with benchwork - filing/stoning/polishing and even chiselling (another forgotten skill). The DRO was the toolroom equivalent of the Holy Grail at one time.

One of my toolmakers - probably the cleverest and most gifted machinist I've ever met - hand filed EDM electrodes back in the early 70s to make the mould cavity for a pistol grip, many years before they could afford a CNC. All the contours were filed, emeriy-ed and polished, and the cross hatch pattern was chiselled into the grip. Took days and days of work under a huge magnifier, and if you saw it now you would swear it was all done on multi-axis CNC.

Of course back in those days you could also quote 26 weeks to make a mould tool and still get the job. These days they want it in 4 weeks.

Peter

aboard_epsilon
11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Them there videos were in times of no TV, PC's or computer games

So generally guys, had in the evenings only two things they could do

They could go to the pub then to bed

or they could do their hobbies

With so much more time to spend on these hobbies ..they got very good at them.

Having only two choices .meant that there were a lot more people dedicated to the hobby.

Meaning out of that bunch of people.....probably a high number of people .....youre bound to get a high number of very proficient guys.

So the machinist hobby was fed well.

So today you have less people doing better work than of old.......because there are less people who do the hobby..........in my surrounding area,...probably pop 20 -30,000 people.15 miles in either direction... i only know about 3 people who are into this hobby of ours.

all the best.markj