PDA

View Full Version : B'port lube

mike thomas
02-13-2002, 06:42 PM
I have the beast set, wired, leveled and am cleaning it up a bit more. I hope to try it out this coming weekend, but am unsure about what to lube it with. The manual specifies a weight of spindle lube, but does not give hints as to type. I also question whether or not it is safe to hit the zerks with the same grease gun I use on the autos. What say guys? Mike

Dave Burnett
02-13-2002, 07:31 PM
Mike, Use Vactra or any good way lube for the ways and car grease will work fine for the zerks. Good Luck and have a good time with your machine.

bspooh
02-13-2002, 09:50 PM
I agree with Dave...Use Vactra #2 oil from Mobil..And auto grease would be just fine..

mike thomas
02-13-2002, 11:17 PM
Our local petroleum dealer is Chevron, and I get their equivalent to Vactra by the 5 gal bucket. I also purchase their Mobil equivalent machine gear oil in bulk. It is about 10 weight, extreme pressure and temperature stable. Do you guys see any problems with using this on the spindle bearings? Thanks, Mike

halfnut
02-14-2002, 10:03 AM
Whoa there, what zerks are you talking about.

The ones for the slides take way oil, not gun grease. The gun grease won't hurt anything, but the machine will work a LOT smoother if you use way oil in that grease gun for these way lubrication points.

The grease fitting on the back of headstock uses regular gun grease. Use a good quality grease, #2.

paul j smeltzer
02-14-2002, 12:47 PM
Mike: it appears that you are refering to a Bridgeport mill by the title of your post. I use Duro aw46 oil in my spindle bearings and have done so since 1985, The oil co indicated that it was a good oil. The maint book for Bports series 1 indicate that you should use S.A.E.10 or 10W light oil for spindle bearings. I also use moly grease in my zerks. Hope this helps Paul.

mike thomas
02-14-2002, 06:05 PM
I think I have a plan. I have the maint. manual, but it was rather inexact. One more shopping trip for another grease gun, and I will be in operation. Thanks guys, Mike

spope14
02-14-2002, 07:36 PM
Texaco Way Lube 68 is my lube of choice. Easy to get. Mobile vactra works well too. Do not recall Grease zirks on my 6 units.

Call the local Texaco Distribution center for a gallon of this, or they will put you onto a local source. I once had a gallon delivered to a Texaco station when working in YNP one year.....

hms50
02-15-2002, 08:05 AM
Mike, you might want to get a copy of Guy Lautard's paper on oiling machine tools. He interviewed a machine rebuilder to get his information. The rebuilder that I have worked with,(this guy is a scraper, he doesn't just clean 'em up and paint 'em, he brings them back to new spec's), says to not use grease, only a good way oil. Grease holds chips where you don't want them and makes the machine wear faster. Oil does'nt do this as much. It's easy to convert a grease gun to shoot oil, you don't have to pay big bucks for a factory oil gun. Guy's paper shows how to do this. Just a thought,

Good luck
hms50

mike thomas
02-15-2002, 10:35 PM
As I was going about my work today, I was pondering just these points. I think I have a conversion plotted out. I'll know if the oil shoots onto the floor.
Those reading my posts, probably have noticed I spend most of my time thinking about things other than my job. It is not that I'm cheating them, it is just that it is so boring that I'd be asleep if I did not think about other things. So, by not paying attention to work, I really am doing my employer a big favor. Mike

Thrud
02-15-2002, 10:52 PM
mike
Use the ISO 68 (20W) Way lubricant for your Milling Machine and Lathes. Way Lubricant also dampens vibrations that can cause chatter. For your spindle get a good R&O Gear & Bearing lubricant in the ISO range required by your machine. Motor oil does not have the special additives you need for the spindle bearings. In a pinch you can use Anti-wear hydraulic oil in the proper ISO viscosity - but get the R & O Lubricant and use it instead. Make sure you lubricate the ways often - this will preserve their accuracy for a longer service life.

Dave