PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - Beware

Weston Bye
11-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Just bought a new Dell box with Windows 7. My CAD software won't run on it. Bought the $99 Alibre Cad a month ago, but now need the full-price upgrade to run on 7.:mad: My ancient AutoSketch won't run on 7.:mad:

I ended up swapping for my wife's XP box that everything will run on. She gets the new computer for web surfing and Office.

I wonder what else won't run on 7. The buggers.

nheng
11-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Should'a bought another machine instead of a computer ;)

Have you tried compatibility mode for the problem programs. Here's a quick tutorial on how to set up for whatever specific level of compatibility you want: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

Haven't followed W7 a whole lot yet but I have heard good things about compatibility.

What does the Alibre forum say about it?

Den

lazlo
11-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Wes, there's actually a simple fix: run the program in Win 7 compatibility mode. Here's a good walkthrough:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Evan
11-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Run that software on Win 7 in XP compatibilitiy mode.

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2009/08/how-to-use-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7/

Cross post. :)

Metalmelter
11-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Here's another approach that worked for me - virtual pc available as a download from Microsoft. It was the only thing that allowed me to use an epson scanner i still liked.

It runs an instance of xp in a window on the win7 desktop. Try install your autosketch inside that window and I'll bet it works if all else fails;)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Your Old Dog
11-19-2009, 06:56 AM
I use ViaCad5 and got it to run on W7 using the compatibility mode. I'm not very happy with W7. I may contact ASUS to see if my brand new dual core machine with the 8hour battery can handle XP. W7 seems too lean to me, many of the features I used in XP are not available in W7. I miss outlook express, right click on a pic to resize, spell checker for web stuff and more useful copy utility as in XP in the Classic view mode.

Evan
11-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Here is a resizer for you.

http://www.intowindows.com/quickly-resize-images-with-image-resizer-power-toy-for-windows-7/

See here for more:

http://geekswithblogs.net/evjen/archive/2009/08/13/134083.aspx

MrSleepy
11-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I quite like win 7 now...even though there initially seems to be a few xp niceties missing.
I love the new start bar ....way better than aero..

havent had one program that wouldnt run ...had a few where I thought they were toast..only to realise some need admin priveleges..but thers no message to inform you..
only two crashes so far when programming...thats good for me... and the core does seem as fast if not faster than xp...

vista is a bag of cack in comparison

i missed copy to...and save to... but they can be returned..

I also had the no refresh fault occur...as in you rename/delete etc and the changes do not show until you manually F5 it ...I eventaually found a force icons setting to cure it

the copy to....move to...and force refresh are....

Force icons explorer update............................................ .............

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Update]
"UpdateMode"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000000

copy-to................................................ ............................

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers\{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}]

move-to................................................ ...............................

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers\{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}]

Rob

skyboltone
11-19-2009, 05:03 PM
You know what. I'm sick of Mister Gates and his horse. Nevermind, let's not go there. The wife and I have approximately 5 Y/O laptops and hers is beginning to really flake out bad. HP has bios issues between it's own printers and it's own laptops. Can you dig it? They told me to go pound sand up a rope or something. Live with it.

We've decided to go to Mac. All I'll really loose will be a million very labor intensive Visio files. But I think I can maybe translate them into something MAC can use. Visio was hideous to learn anyway. I hope the Mac equivalent will be better. Everything else is just links and old .doc files that I would hate to loose entirely. There's probably a way around that. I wonder about favorites files?

Falcon67
11-19-2009, 05:17 PM
XP virtual machine will run it, provided your PC has Intel VM capabilities or the AMD equivalent. XP is great, gonna be gone after a while - just get on with it. W7 looks OK so far. Haven't moved anything to it yet, but evaluations are going well.

tattoomike68
11-19-2009, 05:32 PM
You know what. I'm sick of Mister Gates and his horse. Nevermind, let's not go there. The wife and I have approximately 5 Y/O laptops and hers is beginning to really flake out bad. HP has bios issues between it's own printers and it's own laptops. Can you dig it? They told me to go pound sand up a rope or something. Live with it.

We've decided to go to Mac. All I'll really loose will be a million very labor intensive Visio files. But I think I can maybe translate them into something MAC can use. Visio was hideous to learn anyway. I hope the Mac equivalent will be better. Everything else is just links and old .doc files that I would hate to loose entirely. There's probably a way around that. I wonder about favorites files?

I do lots of video and my friends love thier macs and would never change, I give them crap all the time about thier audio/ video sync, thier stuff is funny to watch like a dubbed movie from 1970. you see him talk then hear him a half second later.

I know macs are cool but you still need to know what you are doing. they dont.

I want a mac but just dont have faith that it will perform for my needs, my mac buddie admit that they crash, instead of the blue screen of death it just shuts down.

Macs are cool but I will wait till $20,000+ is worth buying to do what I want it to do.

saltmine
11-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Same here. Except my CAD software retails for $1300, and it won't run on Windows 7.
Yes, I tried the virtual computer software, I even went out and bought an Intel Quad-Core processor with virtual technology enabled.

Fortunately, I know enough about computers to get myself into trouble.

I did a re-format of my 160gb hard drive, and split the drive into two partitions. Then, I installed Windows XP on one partition, and Windows 7 on the other. (BTW, it's a good idea to install the XP first, that way Windows 7 won't claim the whole hard drive for itself.)

I now can run any and all of my XP programs and I still have the nice features of Windows 7. The only drawback is; I have to close and re-boot the computer to switch between the two, not really a problem. Now, my software vendor, for the CAD program, sends me an e-mail telling me that the newest release (upgrade) of their CAD software ($400) is 100% Windows 7 compatible....

skyboltone
11-19-2009, 07:47 PM
I do lots of video and my friends love thier macs and would never change, I give them crap all the time about thier audio/ video sync, thier stuff is funny to watch like a dubbed movie from 1970. you see him talk then hear him a half second later.

I know macs are cool but you still need to know what you are doing. they dont.

I want a mac but just dont have faith that it will perform for my needs, my mac buddie admit that they crash, instead of the blue screen of death it just shuts down.

Macs are cool but I will wait till $20,000+ is worth buying to do what I want it to do.
Wow. Latency that bad eh? That will never do. I run Sonar 6 Studio now and it's hard enough to keep it all straight in my head without putting up with that.

darryl
11-19-2009, 08:37 PM
So- an obvious question here is- what is win 7 good for, or who is it good for? And XP is on its way out- what? I'd say it's about time to pull microshafts business license. What they're doing amounts to theft- let's count up how much they owe us for all the wasted hours and dollars we've had to spend to keep the computer systems we've paid for running.

My opinion- it's a lot of bullshi- they're feeding us, and it's time they were held accountable.

Evan
11-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Why don't you give them a call Darryl?

http://ixian.ca/pics6/techsupport.jpg

DeereGuy
11-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Just bought a new Dell box with Windows 7. My CAD software won't run on it. Bought the $99 Alibre Cad a month ago, but now need the full-price upgrade to run on 7.:mad: My ancient AutoSketch won't run on 7.:mad:

I ended up swapping for my wife's XP box that everything will run on. She gets the new computer for web surfing and Office.

I wonder what else won't run on 7. The buggers.

Wes did you try the compatibility mode that others have suggested? I am getting the wife a new laptop and this 1.5 year old HP's screen if freaking out so I might end up replacing mine also. I might end up installing the XP pro I own on a seperate partition. If you need help let me know.

kendall
11-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Best free VM at present is Vmware player, the newest version has been updated to allow creation of your own virtual machines. (no more horsing around just create it!)
The 'computer' also comes equipped with a 64 meg video card.

On dual booting, I feel the absolute best way to go is to use two separate hard drives.
Turn one off in bios, install the OS on the then only drive, then turn that one off and the other on and install on the next drive. After wards turn both on, and boot using the built in boot manager (F-12 on most computers)

Used to pull the power cord on drives back in the early IDE days because I really got sick of the "LI" you got when LILO ran into a problem, then started turning them off in bios, and was really happy when they started having the f-12 boot loader on computers.

installing on partitions or even separate drives with both on, means that the boot files are all on one hard drive, so if something goes wrong with either installation, it -normally- means you have to reinstall both OSs.

major advantage of separate drives is that if you decide you don't want or need one of the operating systems, you can boot to the other and format the other drive to turn it into a data drive. Without hurting the OS you want to keep.
Also, in the event of a problem with one install, you have the other there to boot into and rescue data.

I haven't run XP since shortly after the Beta of w7 came out, but still have an install on an external drive (2kpro on one too) I can boot into in an emergency.

Ken.

Circlip
11-24-2009, 03:54 AM
A beta version of Doze 7 has been out for quite a while now, I'm REALLY surprised that Alibre didn't modify their programme (program) version 11. whatever to work with it BEFORE their benevolent act of selling it to the masses? Does full blown 12 work ???

Regards Ian.

coldformer
11-24-2009, 05:25 AM
like kendall said f12 is the way to get around the xp problem but i hate having to hit f12 just to run xp programs .
as far as the xp mode it only will work with win7 pro or better.
when i called alibre to find out why it would not work with win7 rc1 or rtm the tech guy basically said it sucks to be you and no refunds.

Weston Bye
11-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Wes did you try the compatibility mode that others have suggested? I am getting the wife a new laptop and this 1.5 year old HP's screen if freaking out so I might end up replacing mine also. I might end up installing the XP pro I own on a seperate partition. If you need help let me know.

I suppose I should find out if things work in compatibility mode, but I have things set up with two complete systems on my desk - 98 that I have been using all along, XP for Alibre a workable system for the moment - looks like a command center.

I am busy with ongoing projects and have not had the time for much experimentation with 7, but it is on the list.

One of the minor problems I have yet to work out is keyboards. the Ancient AutoSketch was designed to work well with the old 84 key keyboard. Mouse in the right hand, left hand positioned with the thumb over the Alt key and the first two fingers working the two columns of function keys at the left end of the keyboard. Combinations of the Alt key and various function keys allow the selection of the most-used commands. Over the years I have become very adept and fast with this old system for doing 2D drawings, and don't relish changing to something new. Indeed, even with the Alibre I am hoping to develop my basic drawings in 'Sketch and then DXF to Alibre to jazz them up.

What works well with the old keyboard becomes very cumbersome with the later keyboards that have the function keys along the top. In idle moments I have contemplated a keyboard hack to add the F1 through F10 and Alt keys to a side unit to a newer keyboard, but have not gone farther than that. I've found a few programmable keyboards but these are ruinously expensive. Anybody have any other ideas, other than 'suck it up and move on, you Luddite' ?

ptjw7uk
11-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Only problem with windoze7 is that to run xp compatability mode is that you will have to upgrade to 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode.
The main problem there is that it is not an upgrade but needs to be a fresh install on a clean drive, so far not seen anyone selling a PC or laptop with the higher versions on win7.
Also a lot of prinetrs are not having new drivers written - so I will just wait on the side lines for a few years.

peter

saltmine
11-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Actually, it's a little more complicated than that. To run in XP mode, the computer must have either AMD's dual core processor with the Virtualization Technology enabled, (of course the motherboard has to be compatable) or the Intel Core 2 processor with Virtualization Technology enabled.(and the correct motherboard) Then, you need enough RAM (2Gb minimum) and you have to have the Premuim version of Windows 7 with the XP mode ability.
Once everything is in place, and everything learns to "play nice", you might be able to get a program to work in XP mode. Which is why I partitioned my hard drive and installed both XP and Win 7 on it. I got tired of reading instructions written by computer geeks and trying to folow their techie lead.
My programs run fine, finally.

The big thing seems to be getting a computer with "Virtualization Technology" built into the processor, and enabled. I don't think there are more than 8 processors available.

kendall
11-24-2009, 03:02 PM
actually quite a few have it, think every dual core and up has it.
most of the virtual computer software available don't require hardware virtualization, they will use it if available though.

Ken.

lazlo
11-24-2009, 03:52 PM
The big thing seems to be getting a computer with "Virtualization Technology" built into the processor, and enabled.

I was one of the four architects that designed Intel's VT. It was first launched on Yonah (Core Duo) and shortly afterwards on Prescott (P4) in 2006. Every Intel processor since then has had it. You can enable/disable VT in the BIOS.

I don't think there are more than 8 processors available.

For consumer products, the most you'll find is quad-core Nehalem, each with 2 threads = 8 logical processors. For the server market, Intel has Beckton, which is an 8-core, 16 logical processor cpu.

Your Old Dog
11-24-2009, 04:41 PM
WINDOWS 7 PICTURE RESIZER UPDATE:

Evan thanks for the link. I downloaded it but could not find where it said to resize the image. Before you would resize first, tag the pics to send, and then include all in an email if you wanted. Now, you select a pic and then select "send to" and then the resizer option is opened and it seems about the same as XP.

Another wrinkle developed for me. I keep getting a bubble that says I got files waiting to beloaded to disk. Well, it ain't easy to make that bubble go away if you don't want to actually save those files to disk. I found some info on it from google, tried it but to know avail.

FOR ALL YOU GUYS WITH WIRELESS WIFI LINKS AT HOME. The new 802.11N 100mb LinkSys is amazing. Its about the same speed as a cat 5 connection and the range is much further then 802.11 b or g and it's backwards compatible. I highly reccomend it. For the cost of the new N setup I saved myself the cost of cat 5 cable and connectors to make a run to my workshop.