PDA

View Full Version : For Sir John!

miker
11-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear of your of the abcess problem. Those antibiotics must be washed down with Single Malt to be effective:)

Now to the real issue.

In this thread http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=37812

I wrote "Getting something CAPTIVE on or perhaps above the end of the spindle (vertical mill) seems to be the issue.

I read an article in MEW (Model Engineers Workshop) magazine No. 148, about the Sieg Super X1L, which stated that Arc Eurotrade used to modify the top of the X1 spindle so that the drawbar was captive.

Perhaps Sir John knows how this was done?"

Could you help here?

Rgds

John Stevenson
11-20-2009, 05:27 PM
When Arc used to convert the Super X1L they used to supply a new drawbar that had a short length of left hand thread just below the hexagon.

The top of the spindle was internally thread the same LH thread.

I use the drawbar was thread into the spindle, then the collet / tooling inserted and tightened up, as the drawbar was untightened it forced the collet down and self extracted it.

The same method was also applied to the X3 at this time.

If you want the next time I am down at Arc I will measure one of the old drawbars up, I noticed there were still some in the back warehouse when I was looking for other items. It all depends though on whether you have access to a LH tap of the correct size.

miker
11-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the explanation John.
The mill I purchased is a knock off RF45.

I wiil keep that method in mind and have a look around
at left hand taps that might suit my spindle.

Thanks for the offer, but don't bother measuring the drawbars just for me as my spindle will be different.

Thanks again for the reply.

Rgds