PDA

View Full Version : Fanuc controls

jeremy13
11-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Wear looking at buying an EDM with a Fanuc control. What can you tell me about this control. This will be my first CNC type of machine. Is it junk, What programs will it integrate with? I have no clue on this type of machine. He wants 3500.00 for it 17X22 table. I know it's old but looks to be in great shape. It's an Elox series H. Should I stay away from this older operating software.

macona
11-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Lots of software will talk to a Fanuc. They are pretty much the standard when it comes to controllers. No problems there.

Just so you know I was talking to a owner of a shop about wire edms and other edms. Wires are expensive to maintain. One crash and you can be down 20k in repairs. Then there is chillers and all sorts of other stuff.

The new ones are better about crashing but its still real easy to slice right through a fixture.

clutch
12-18-2009, 06:05 PM
What version of the control? Fanuc covers a wide range of controls.

CLutch

Tony Pratt
12-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I worked on a couple of Fanuc model Q wire eroders for quite a number of years and we found them very reliable, we used Fanuc's own software [FAPT]and had no problems and has been said before a lot of other CNC programs will talk to them as they do seem to be the industry standard.
The Fanuc spares were very, very expensive, although there are plenty of compatible parts availiable in the UK and I suppose all over the world.
I totally disagree that these machines are easy to crash, in 10 years of operating them I didn't have one smash up, the answer is to always, I repeat always do a dry run checking carefully that no collisions are going to happen.
The other danger point with a wire eroder is when in the course of machining a piece of scrap is allowed to fall off and machining is not paused to remove it, this can lead to some nasty jam ups !
Once you are actually cutting you cannot normally see the workpiece as they run submerged in or covered by water spray.

Tony