PDA

View Full Version : vernier repair?

audrey
10-08-2003, 02:15 PM
I got a 24 inch stainless steel vernier that has worn out Jaws. Can they be repaired somehow?? Thanx Audrey PS I have access to a grinding shop that my friend owns.

Forrest Addy
10-08-2003, 02:22 PM
The jaws can be re-lapped but that's a job for an instrument tech with the proper gear.

Once the jaws are lapped the vernier has to be adjusted to a new zero. By the time the jaws are shot there's often problems with the other sliding parts. Tuning up the sliding parts has to be accomplished before the jaws are attacked. The cost of a pro overhaul could easily exceed the new instrument.

Your friend with a grinding shop could certainly be helpful restoring your vernier but the sensitivity of the job decrees far more than the usual care.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 10-08-2003).]

audrey
10-08-2003, 02:28 PM
How about grinding away a chunk of Jaw on both sides then brazing in a piece of carbide on each side and grinding it? auds Old Man??

Al Messer
10-08-2003, 05:35 PM
What have you got to lose? And it may prove to be a very good idea!

Thrud
10-09-2003, 05:33 PM
How about grinding away a chunk of Jaw on both sides then brazing in a piece of carbide on each side and grinding it? auds Old Man??

That will work - keeping the jaws parallel is difficult. You could send them to Starrett for repair.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 10-09-2003).]