PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Drill Press Tool Gloat

KiloBravo
11-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I have been looking for a Drill Press for two years. I have a bench top crappy HF drill press that I use when needed. Anyway I finally hit pay dirt on craigs list. It was made for Sears nice heavy duty with two tables and built in light. The motor is a 1/2 HP and can be wired for 120v or 220v. The speed range is 380 to 8550. Only thing that worries me is the little belt. I snapped a few pics with my cell phone.

Drill head with tap chart
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2681/4121964295_d7ae9b366c.jpg

Base with two tables
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2734/4122736606_e737a29254.jpg

Speed Chart for belts
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2646/4122736558_972c70893b.jpg

Ghop Shop
11-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Nice find! Not to worry, I have been using a small belt Craftsman DP for over thirty years and have replaced the belt only one time.

Gayle Hopson

RichTes
11-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I had one a while ago. Wanted a lower low end for WWing, but the craftsman was very smooth and had .001 runout. Think it had a light that was handy without another plug. No problem with the belt.

Rich

winchman
11-21-2009, 02:52 PM
I've been using mine since 1978, and it's still got the original belt.

I installed a foot switch in parallel with the original switch to free up a hand. It's a very useful addition.

Does the extra table tilt?

Roger

lazlo
11-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Nice! It's very hard to find a decent drill press anymore...

KiloBravo
11-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Does the extra table tilt?
Roger

Yes the extra table has pin you pull out and then can adjust the angle of the table. I think I might put a small vice on that one.

KiloBravo
11-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Nice! It's very hard to find a decent drill press anymore...

I know I live about 20 minutes from Philadelphia you figure I would be able to find one but no dice. The guy I bought it from said he got about 20 calls on it. The picture on craigs list made it look smaller than it is, and he had no details about it at all in the posting. So I think that's why I got it :) Not bad for $75 !

daveo
11-21-2009, 03:44 PM
I have the same drill press and need a belt..... Where can it be found?

wierdscience
11-21-2009, 05:46 PM
I have the same drill press and need a belt..... Where can it be found?

Google Gates Polyflex micro vee belt.

It's the same cross section that fits the 9x20 lathes,just longer.

daveo
11-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Thank you!

daveo
11-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Can someone give me a source for the 1/4 wide belts? I have searched and tried master carr, nothing! Mine is 45 inches long. Thanks

cadwiz
11-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I restored a similar Sears DP a few years ago and posted the results. Sears actually still stocks replacement parts and belts, that's where I got mine. Google the serial # or DP model # and you should come up with the repair site. If ya don't find it I'll try to post it later.
Cadwiz

Your Old Dog
11-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Make damn sure you wear a hat while using it !! My friends father shortened up the pillar so it would fit in an old basement. That put the pulleys at hair height if you bent over to get a better look at what you were drilling. My friend said it tooks weeks before the kids at school stopped laughing at his receeded hairline :D

You will enjoy having a nice drill press in the shop. I have a floor model also but liked my old bench mounted one better. I get tired of chasing the floor model around the shop when trying to use it. The bench seemed much more stable.

tmc_31
11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi guys,

I have one of those that I bought about 30 years ago. Has served me well. I mounted a Sears XY table to it about 10 years ago and haven't removed it yet. The only thing I wish I had is a rack an pinion to move the table up and down. With the XY table mounted, the DP table is a little unwieldy to move up and down. Other than that minor annoyance, the DP is excellent for it's size.

Tim

clutch
11-28-2009, 05:00 PM
We had that model in our plant for many years. It was used for deburing. We never had to replace the belt.

It is a nice light drill press.

Clutch

daveo
11-28-2009, 08:49 PM
I restored a similar Sears DP a few years ago and posted the results. Sears actually still stocks replacement parts and belts, that's where I got mine. Google the serial # or DP model # and you should come up with the repair site. If ya don't find it I'll try to post it later.
Cadwiz

Mine is identical to the one posted here, but it has no name , model, serial#, nothing on it..... I cant believe I cant find a 1/4 inch belt anywhere on the internet.....

cadwiz
11-28-2009, 09:38 PM
I'll look for the belt order info tommorrow and post
Cadwiz

BWS
11-29-2009, 06:45 AM
We've had one of those here for 30+ years also,it just keeps chugging along.The point of post however is to adress raising/lowering table on these and other non-rack DPs.We have a cstm drawer unit,interestingly on the above DP.....4 drawers I think,that's roughly the same size as base.It works great by itself but we added a refugee,borrowed,swiped?..can't remember,sizzor jack on top of it.Those little ones that seem to be in every car trunk.Placed on top of said cabmet,its a simple matter to raise and lower table.Their vert range falls within the normal range of adj on DP.With the proper sized bake pan,stolen from wife,on top of cab.,under jack....you can run lubes/coolants without too big of mess....carry on.BW

cadwiz
11-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Ok, my DP is listed as a Sears/Craftsman 15-1/2" commercial DP, model# 113.24611

replacement parts are available from: www.searspartsdirect.com

the original belt# is 71138, it is being substituted with #1745 (same belt, it fit mine perfectly). I just looked up the current price at $9.99

you can compare your DP with mine by looking at an old thread titled "you called for lurker post" under Cadwiz. I'd post the link but doing this by iPhone.

Your's is probably similar, mine has a T-slot table with no center hole, but they're all basically same construction.

Cadwiz

tmc_31
11-29-2009, 02:27 PM
BWS,

At first I just chuckled at your post. Then I got to thinking that a jack like that could be attached to the column and the table and a cordless drill could be used to run the table up and down. The stabilizer jacks from a camper trailer are fairly heavy duty and have a rather large range of motion. This could turn into an elegant solution for a vexing problem.

Thanks,

Tim

daveo
11-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Thank you! I found it! And my table is a little different..... Doesn't mean much though. Il post some pics of mine when I get it going....

DR
11-29-2009, 03:12 PM
These DP's seem to show up fairly often on CL. My thought is most lookers assume it's a newer import model (junk), pus the usually higher price than an import would warrant, so they pass on checking them out.