PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever buy from Ozarkwoodworker

gr8life
11-21-2009, 09:43 PM
http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/item/lagun-turret-vertical-milling-machine-opparts-manu/
Looking for a manual for a Lagun I just got, wonder if anyone has used this guy?
thanks
ed

Bob Farr
11-21-2009, 10:14 PM
http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/item/lagun-turret-vertical-milling-machine-opparts-manu/
Looking for a manual for a Lagun I just got, wonder if anyone has used this guy?
thanks
ed

Yes, several transactions, all went smoothly, Good quality reproductions, fast and secure shipping, you won't be disappointed.

Bob Farr

john hobdeclipe
11-21-2009, 10:22 PM
I've bought from him twice, both times the product was excellent and shipping was next day after payment (PayPal.) I would buy from him again without hesitation.

The two manuals I bought are clean, crisp, legible reproductions , comb bound, and have heavier paper covers.

doctor demo
11-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Yes, several transactions, all went smoothly, Good quality reproductions, fast and secure shipping, you won't be disappointed.

Bob Farr
I guess the quality of the reproduction depends on the quality of the original.
In My case the transaction went off with out any trouble and the Manuals shipped quickly but unless there is NO other option I won't be a repeat customer, My manuals were less than what I would call a manual. They were more like ''cliff notes''.

Steve

gr8life
11-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks all for the info, I will wait to call Lagun on Mon. and see what they want for a manual.
ed

11-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Thanks all for the info, I will wait to call Lagun on Mon. and see what they want for a manual.
ed
You'll be looking at about 100.00, I got one from them about 3 years ago..

lazlo
11-22-2009, 08:33 AM
You'll be looking at about 100.00, I got one from them about 3 years ago..

So Ozarkwoodworker is selling a photocopy of a copyrighted Lagun manual for 1/3 of what the manufacturer charges.

Anyone else see a problem with this?

Do they sell photocopies of HSM magazine too?

gr8life
11-22-2009, 10:08 AM
The only problem I see is that it may not be good. In today's world you can download a manual for almost anything for FREE from the manufacturer. Radar detectors, kitchen appliances ect. Most of the large tool companies have them on line, both user manual & parts. Grizzly even Horror Fright have them.
The only things I can't find a manual for are SWMBO & little kids.
ed

Nicholas
11-22-2009, 10:51 AM
there's an FTV-2 manual on the Metalillness site.

http://www.bbssystem.com/manuals/Lagun_FTV-2_Manual.pdf

Nick

Alistair Hosie
11-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I wonder if half of these guys making big bucks on manuals have a copyright agrement to do so.So in other words are these pirate copies?Alistair

MikeHenry
11-22-2009, 12:21 PM
So Ozarkwoodworker is selling a photocopy of a copyrighted Lagun manual for 1/3 of what the manufacturer charges.

Anyone else see a problem with this?

Do they sell photocopies of HSM magazine too?

Yeah, I see the problem too. There are a couple of other dealers out there selling copies of material that is still available from the manufacturer and often at comparable cost. Folks here are notoriously cheap and those that haven't at least tried to contact the manufacturer about manual reprints are lazy to boot.

Mike

Alistair Hosie
11-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Easy money if you have a photocopier, and buy every available manual your set for life.I know sometimes there is a bit tidying up to do.I searched for years for a copy for my milling machine and just got one.if I sold a copy on the internet say ebay etc I know at least one guy who would be turning these out in volume at huge cost to the public.I asked him once Tony thats his name do you have written permission to do this he became very unhelpful and annoyed by this question I wonder why.Alistair

aboard_epsilon
11-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Easy money if you have a photocopier, and buy every available manual your set for life.I know sometimes there is a bit tidying up to do.I searched for years for a copy for my milling machine and just got one.if I sold a copy on the internet say ebay etc I know at least one guy who would be turning these out in volume at huge cost to the public.I asked him once Tony thats his name do you have written permission to do this he became very unhelpful and annoyed by this question I wonder why.Alistair

what goes around, comes around

a lot of the manuals circulating on the net for free, are copies of his copies .

all the best.markj

gr8life
11-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Nicholas thanks I saw that a few days ago but would like the actual manual for a FTV 1S but that one has helped.
thanks
ed

toolmaker45
12-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I've purchased a couple of manuals from this guy and they were both great. They even look better than copies I've received from manufactures. Sure some of the manuals he has can be found else where, but he also carries a lot of manuals that can't be. And his manuals are not just cheap photocopies.

Plus, this guy has spent time helping me over the phone to help me identify my machine and help me locate parts. And his name is actually Ray, Alistair Hosie. It's at the bottom of every page on his site: ozarkwoodworker.com (http://ozarkwoodworker.com/)

lazlo
12-01-2009, 01:56 PM
I've purchased a couple of manuals from this guy and they were both great. They even look better than copies I've received from manufactures. Sure some of the manuals he has can be found else where, but he also carries a lot of manuals that can't be. And his manuals are not just cheap photocopies.

And his name is actually Ray, Alistair Hosie. It's at the bottom of every page on his site: ozarkwoodworker.com (http://ozarkwoodworker.com/)

Every one of your 6 posts here on HSM Forum are plugging OzarkWoodworker. Are you Ray?
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/search.php?searchid=352652

The issue many of us have is that OzarkWoodworker is selling unauthorized copies of copyrighted material for profit.
For example, they're selling the Harig 6x18 Surface Grinder manual for $24.95, when it's actively copyrighted by Harig, and available free from Harig if you call them:

http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/item/harig-612-618-hand-feed-surface-grinder-manual/

Likewise, they're selling the Excello 602 manual for $45, when it's available free from Excello/Milacron:

http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/item/ex-cell-o-602-mill-instruction-parts-manual-xlo/

Jim Caudill
12-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Alistair was referring to Tony Griffiths of www.lathes.co.uk fame. This subject of selling/distributing manuals is also a "hot topic" over at the other popular machinist's board.

I struggle with this issue myself. I have bought and collected a decent library for the machines I own/owned. I always try to get the manuals direct from the manufacturer, then go elsewhere. Now, in the case of Hardinge, I have more documentation than the Hardinge factory does for their manual machines. I guess they still hold the copyright. but they don't even have the material in their posession anymore. I bought everything they tey have for manual machines on a CD and it cost around $150; but it has nothing from the older stuff that they no longer manufacture. Similarly, when you contact Feeler (I have the HLV-H copy), they will tell you they have nothing for that machine since a factory fire some years ago. I have contacted LeBlond Ltd and they have nothing for my late 50's LeBlond Regal, but they have other manuals available for later machines. When a company no longer wishes to even hold onto their own documentation, that kind of implies they don't really care whether it is being copied and sold. I have always felt that the companies' I did buy from, regarded questions about my old machine and requests to buy manuals as an irritant. They are interested in selling new machines and keeping their factories open, and selling a few old manuals or trying to supply an odd gear for a 50 year old machine is not going to help them.